Easypano LIVE 3D - Virtual Scene Auto-Modeling Software (under development)
Usually, in a panoramic scene, the viewer can only see the scene from one location, and the transition from one location to another will be a leap from one panorama to another. To realize effects such as "random roaming" or being able to have the user's viewpoint able to rotate around an object within a scene, it's necessary to establish complex scene models, and traditional modeling methods are very burdensome.
At our client's request, Easypano, Inc. began researching the auto-modeling core technology in early 2005, and plans to release a brand-new product which will be able to automatically create photorealistic 3D scene/object models from video footage or a combination of panoramas in 2006.
Within the program will be a proposed new scene modeling technology, which will have true interactive omnidirectional roaming. This will mean that viewers will be able to virtually and randomly walk/fly inside a true 3D scene, and their viewpoint will not be limited to the ground only, but can be moved up and down within 3d space at will, just like in an aircraft moves within 3d space in all directions. What's more is that the 3D modeled scenes will be rendered in "real-time", and this will be the greatest difference when compared with current animation software based solutions. With true "real-time" modeling users will be able to realize more lifelike "interactivity" for themselves within the simulated scene. One can now use current animation products to create a "dead" animation which allows the viewers to follow a defined path only, and this animation can be replayed repeatedly, but it can only follow a pre recorded set path. The new technology to be incorporated into Easypano's product will be more "live". Any user will be able to use their mouse, keyboard or game controller (such as gamepad, joystick or steering wheel) to control their direction when roaming around a scene without limitation. Easypano is also considering the development of a 3D roaming auto-navigation system, so that traditional 3d users can auto-play the roam effect according to a pre-defined path. If needed, this auto-roam effect will be able to be further converted into DVD films, or applied to other fields as needed. Also as the data of architecture, roads, street lamps, trees, etc., are added into a whole scene, and are then stored as databases, they will have the capability to then easily be substituted, updated or modified in later scenes designed by the user, and this can then increase the accuracy and flexibility of environment development. With these convenient, photorealistic and quick modeling features, this new product may truely fill the void in 3d virtual reality modeling as we know it.
- Scene models will be quickly created (almost automatically) from video footage or a combination of several panoramas, thus saving more time and energy than the current traditional modeling methods, and yet assuring that the results are vivid and accurate in detail;
- Object models can be added or merged into scene models quickly and easily;
- The modeled scenes can be exported into other current 3D modeling software such as 3Ds Max and Maya for further refinement or modification, and the default paths can also be defined if needed;
- The incorporated automation technology will assure that users will not need to master lots of computer 3D modeling knowledge, and this will help to reduce the high labor costs that current traditional scene modeling methods now have.
Basic Modeling Steps:
- Shoot around a scene with a digital video camera; or shoot fisheye images and use Easypano Panoweaver to stitch several panoramas of this scene;
- Import the above video or panoramas into the planned Easypano Auto-modeling software, after simple settings, the 3D scene model (with textures) will be created quickly;
- Some important objects, modeled by the auto-modeling software or other 3D software, can then be added into the scene model;
- If further refinements or modifications needed, the above model can then be exported to other 3D programs such as 3Ds Max, Maya;
- When the above model is ready and exported into 3D plug-ins, one can then roam within the virtual scene to see special effects; one will also be able to define the roaming path, which will include the interactive keyboard/mouse controls to walk forward, backward, left, right or rotate in the scene, as well as control speed of the roam, and lighting effects.
Basic Work Flow Chart
Auto-modeling is a new research direction in software which relates to computer vision, virtual reality, intelligent human-machine interaction, digital photogrammetry, and has very broad applications, such as in industry manufacturing, cultural relic protection, archaeology and excavation, plastic surgery, forensic science, digital city, games.
This product will be able to establish fine 3D scene (including the objects) models, and realize extremely genuine virtual scene roaming. The main modeling targets could be interior scenes, large-scale ourdoor scenes, cultural and natural heritages, geologic or archaeological fossils, pint-size cultural relic like sculptures, human faces or bodies, so its application will be much broader than just panoramas.
As this auto-modeling software is still in the planning stage, ready cases are unavailable at the present time. But for a better understanding about our new product planned, we have designed some application cases, and described the related work flows. Please click the following icons to learn more about our design cases in some typical industries.
Film Special Effects,
3D Animation, and 3D Advertising
Estate, City Planning,
Games, and Tourism
Games, and Exhibition
Merchandise Show in
E-commerce, and Object
Modeling in Any Industry
This auto modeling software is now in the planning and early development stage, and the finished product may be available in the early 2006. For those who are interested, future users or journalists may contact us by the following means. You are also welcome to take part in our User Requirements Survey, and please feel free to tell us in details all your requirements to be considered in our new product.
New Product Research Team, Easypano, Inc.
Address: Room 304, Building 21, 498, Guo Shoujing Road, Pudong New Area, Shanghai, P.R.China
Contact: Whitney Rong
If you would like to let us know where you are, please click the following button to add yourself on the world map. Tips: Click the "Post" button to add. To protect your privacy, please do not leave your email there.