panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-06-28
Quote: When I insert the lens (with pvc collar on) into the panohead I'm unable to tighten the securing screw down enough so that it holds the lens snug.[/QUOTE]
Hiya all, I'm new to panorama photography (as well as to this board) and I have a Nikon CoolPix 5700 with the FC-E9 fisheye lens and I bought an MrotatorB from eBay and I'm having the exact same problem as outlined above.
I do not have the collar though.

When tightning the allen bolt the gap does not seem to close.
I tightened it so much that I thought I bent the allen-key (I didn't, but I thought I had).

I have removed the allen-bolt and replaced it, but no joy, the lens just spins in the holder.
I'm assuming that as I bought this item from eBay I'll not be able to send it back to Agno's.
Is there anything I can do? (8+(

Mark
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-07-07
Well, the collar came for the lens yesterday*, actually, two came.
They are fairly thin bits of plastic, and on close inspection one of them seems to be a tiny bit thinner than the other. Anyway, I placed them both around the lens and that wouldn't even fit through the pano head, so I removed what I thought was the thinner of the two, which then allowed the lens to slip into the pano head without a problem.
I tightened the allen-bolt (this still has to be tightened quite a lot, to a point where the bolt seems almost being forced) and hey-presto, one firmly held FC-E9 fisheye lens in an MrotatorB pano head.

I'm very happy that this problem has been sorted out so comprehensively with the help of this forum and the kindness of Agno's.
Now maybe I can get on with the task of taking images and finally deciding on what software is best for me to use for stitching.

Mark

* I would have posted about this on the day of delivery, but it was my wedding anniversary, so you'll have to excuse my tardiness. (8+)
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-07-07

We try when we can to resolve issues.. along with the very active forum folks.

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2006-07-08

Another big TICK for Agnos .

Thank you for letting us all know the outcome.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-07-10
Quote: Thank you for letting us all know the outcome.[/QUOTE]
Thank me? Thank you for putting me in contact with them in the first place. (8+)
Mark
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2006-06-28

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the Easypano forums.

Contact Agnos agnos@agnos.com , tell him Smooth sent you for further advise. I'm sure he will offer some assistance.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-06-28

I am sure the bracket is fine. Perhaps you need the pvc collar. I am sure Agnos designed the internal diameter of the bracket to include the thickness of the pvc collar. If your models was one designed without the pvc collar then thats not the problem.

The bolt should be "torked" to a certain amount to achieve a secure hold on the lens. I think mabey this may be the problem. The bolt may be getting to much friction to actually tork enough ( or turn in laymens terms)

Simple solution is something I learned from my grandfather. Get a "bar" of soap NOT liqued and smear it on the threads of the bolt. DO NOT use oil or silicone. If you do I guarentee you some of it will end up one your lens at some point when you are in a situation that you cant clean the lens. Soap will clean up much easier than oil or silicone. Besides there is something magical about soap that seems to work a lot like a hammer.....LOL

The soap should release a lot of the surface tension on the threads and allow the bolt to turn with less resistance. You can then apply the right amount of tork and you shoud get it to work.

If you are interested in finding out how much tork you are appling check out this link. DO NOT over tork the bolt. If you do you could strip the threads or bend the bracket.

http://www.akotorque.com/html/wit.html

I am sure you could take it to a machine shop and they could easily measure the tolerances and/or fix any thread issues. This should not cost much. Perhaps 25 or 30 dollars.

General Lee

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-06-28
Thanks for the responses guys.
Smooth, I have e-mailed Agno's so I await a reply. Gen.Lee, I will try your soap trick and let you know how I get on.
If push comes to shove I know a couple of engineering types that I could have a word with about it.

Once again, thanks for your help. Also, thanks for the welcome Smooth. (8+)

Mark
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-06-28
Update
I've just had the most amazingly speedy response from Agno's, who have said that they will send me a plastic ring!

What a fantastically speedy response! This place is great. I think I'll stick around if that's okay.

Mark

PS - I only hope the plastic ring solves my problem.
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-06-28

Hi Mark.  Hopefully the PVC collar will do the trick for you but if you don't see the gap on the head close at all right now without it then I have doubts this is going to do the trick as the collar is very thin. 

When I got mine back from Agnos I knew it was going to work as soon as I tried turning the allen wrench as the bolt started to make a squeaky noise as it was turned and I could see the gap closing after very little effort. Before the gap would not close at all.

I'd give General Lee's suggestion a go for now to see if it helps.  If it doesn't, check with Agnos again to see if warranty would apply in your situation.  If it doesn't, my first choice would still be to allow Agnos to fix it but if you don't want to spend the money on shipping and repair it can probably be easily fixed at a local machine shop.  Good Luck and be sure to let us know how you get along.