panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2006-07-09

Hi Kevin,

Mate, still haven't had much of chance to look at yours any further. I had a big day touring and shooting panos. From what I have just read on this thread since last I read it would appear you are on top of it somewhat. I'm sure the "black" is just a result of the camera + lens combination where the crop circle is outside of the image at the zenith and nadir. Nothing really to worry about I was just interested as to why it was so. (My set up doesn't do this).

Here is a link to a pano I did today ... err yesterday now (5.17am = better go to sleep)

Freaky clouds that came over late in the day.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-07-09

Good Morning Smooth,

Which camera, lens and image type did you use?  Blue Sky, rustic shed and dried grasses make for a good composition.  Hmm Jaguar must be parked out of sight over the hill.

In East Texas you might see something similar.. except we drive Pickup trucks.

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-07-09
Smooth,

Wow, realy nice. How do you shot your nadir? I have been just been using a clone tool in GIMP or Photoshop to remove the tripod, but you seems to have rich detail.

--Kevin

http://www.webvisiontours.com/
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2006-07-09

Still haven't made it to bed ;O(

Dave,

Camera was the trusty old 6.3MP Canon 10D with Sigma 8mm F4.0 DX the Jag was at home, if you look closely you will the white Mitsubishi 380 of the wife's down the road. We have pick-ups as well but we call them "Ute's" actually it was an Aussie who invented the Ute/pick-up. (Utility)

Kevin,

I do not shoot nadir or zenith's as a rule. I just clone the buggers in Photoshop. If I do really intricate ceilings then I do shoot the zenith. But whenever I do I rarely use it. I was forced to learn Photoshop in the early days long before we had the option of 90 degree twisting panoheads!

I added another at www.smooth360.com/panos/hill_end.html

More to stitch later. Good night all.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-07-09

James.. true master craftsmanship with your ' Hill_End '. Exceptional work.

You should investigate your local/National historical society to VR photographically record present day.. for history.  Maybe they have a grant [$$,$$$] you could use to preserve present day for all future times.

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-06-30

Hi Kevin

May I see your Sigma 8 demo on your website please.  That way I might better help you.  I would need to see one with no photoshop clean up on the zenith (up), nadir (down) or stitched seam areas.

As a usual reminder - besure to remove the lens cap  AND cap ring.  The cap ring reduces the field of view to 120 degrees instead of the needed 180 angle of view.

URL please

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2006-07-01

Kevin,

It would appear you are using a Kaidan panohead.

Looking at two of your images in a viewer I can tell you you need to adjust the "sideways" movement not the back and forth.

You must get the centre of the lens directly over the rotational centreline of the tripod.

When looking down you need for your panohead to produce a perfect circle (or as close as you can get) Just by looking I can tell you that you are about 3mm of centre and 3mm is a lot when trying to stitch a panorama.

Get the sideways movement centred before correcting any back and forth adjustment.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-07-01

We are having the same discussion in another thread.  After making adjustments his panoramas started looking a lot better.

INFO http://www.easypano.com/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=1&TopicID=2122&PagePosition=1

Sorry Kevin, I overlooked your website directory link.

Theory is: When the tripod head is a full circle [not segmented like below] and you can see the pan head center rotation shaft as a complete metalic circle.. then you have removed the parallax and have the lens nodal point on station.  THEN the stitching seams will start falling into place with precision and there will be significantly less post photo shop processing.

Ok lets do a small bit of subjective analysis on Kevin's tripod head images.  I made these by loading each into Panoweaver 4 then viewing them in the viewer.  I tilted down to look at the tripod cap.  Then I did a screen capture of the nadir.  Took all of the screen captures into photoshop and lightened them so you could see more of the panorama head.

First off:  you might consider moving the center line of the lens more to the left or right... the lens is not centered properly because the | | marks appear to all be the same across all 3 images.  The estimated distance offset appears to be only 2 mm.  Make note of and temporarily mark the current Left to Right position. And then move the vertical bracket left 2mm.  Take a new panorama and view the Nadir area in Panoweaver Preview.  Take note if the offset difference is greater or less than shown below.

Observations about the forward/ backward nodal point.  It appears that you are seeing LESS of the tripod head at the 65 mark.  You start to see more at the 75 mark.  Even more (notice screws ?) beginning to show at the 80 mark.

I am not familiar with what the actual top of the head looks like.. but I am sure that there is a CENTER mark at which the entire head rotates around.  Looking through the view finder.. you should begin to see that center mark when you are approaching the nodal point.  The Sigma 8 is 180 degree angle of view.. so you should be able to see the center mark at the bottom of your image.

Here is 65-r1765.  Left to right axis is not center of lens axis.  Hence the double tripod leg and the tripod head is not full circle.  4 image slices are offset maybe by 2 mmm.

Here is 75-R1765.  as you move the camera BACK you are starting to see more of the tripod head center area.  Also you might consider shortening the handle.. it almost extends outward beyond the tripod legs

Here is 80-r1765.  Here we are starting to see more of the tripod head center area.. possibly these are screws or the pan head center shaft.  Adjusting the bracket either Left or right by 2 mm should close the center area to where you see the full center shaft of the pan head.

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-07-01
You guys are great. Dave the center of the tripod is a level bubble. I have the Kaidan Quickpan rotator.

I also noticed something I did wrong that was not mentioned yet. I know how important leveling is. So I spent a lot of time getting the whole head level. However, the spherical arm on the setup is not precise when set at 90 degrees. And I do not have a level on the arm or the camera, such as a hot shoe level. I think this is also messing things up, because I noticed sometimes the nadir got closed to nodal but the zenith got more off. The camera might not have been level.

I need to level this, so I need to get a level. Suggestions, or will any hot shoe level work. I over looked it because I have been shooting 38 images with a Realviz setup and did not need to worry as much about the leveling. With the Sigma 8mm there is less wiggle room.

Smooth, I never considered the left right was off. Thanks. I set it by looking down on the head with the camera and lining up the center auto focus square on the bubble. That worked for the stock lens and Realviz but not for the Sigma.

Thanks everyone, I have lots to try out now. The Kaidan set up is owned by my work and I just bought a Nodal Ninja for my personal use and freelance business. So I have the fun of setting up two nodal point. It may take me a few days but I will post a link to some final images when I get things all set so others viewing this post can see my progression in the future. That is assuming I do get it figured out.

--Kevin

--Kevin

http://www.webvisiontours.com/
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-07-02

Good.  Smooth came up with the Left/Right Parallax idea.  My screen capture photos of the pan head only reinforced the thought.

We use a manfrotto quick release permanently mounted on the pan head.  Removing and remounting the camera stays at the same location. [Got that idea from Smooth works like a treat - thanks]

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com