panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-08-14

Lens Recommendation?

I would like to use panoweaver & tour weaver, and need a lens recommendation for a Canon 30D.

I was planning on the Sigma 8mm (as shown by the easypano folks), but that lens is just nowhere to be found.

Recommendations?

Thanks!
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2006-08-14

Hi EmeraldTx,

You are really limited to either the Sigma 8mm fisheye (if you can find one) or the Russian made (manual) Peleng 8mm fisheye.

The reason you cannot find the Sigma is because a new release is about to happen and will make it the third release of the series. All models work fine. The first release did suffer some lens flare (nothing like the Peleng) the second had a special lens coating to help reduce flare. (not sure how well it did?) and the third one still to be released goes from F/4.0 to F/3.5 and apart from that I don't think there is any other major change.

If you cannot find the Sigma (or can't wait) grab a Peleng off ebay. They are cheap and you can shoot some nice panoramas with them. When you get the opportunity to get the Sigma do so and sell the Peleng on ebay again.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-08-14

Think there might have been 4 releases of Sigma 8.  I think the first 1 did not have the AF-M switch.  From pictures I have seen of the following 3 (including the new one) they all have a switch on the lens housing marked AF M  for Auto Focus and manual focus.

Agno's Sigma 8mm does not have this switch.  That is why the RingT is a very tight fit on the newer Sigma 8 lenses.  After we asked he suggested that we remove a 10mm wide segment of the orange vinyl liner.  Now the lens and switch just slide nicely into the RingT.

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2006-08-14

Not quite Dave,

But I see where you are coming from. The image you see on the Agnos website and the others without the AF/M switch are to suit fitment on a Nikon's not Canon.

I found the fitment a little tight into the RingT as well because of the AF/M switch but I did find later that if you go in on an angle it is pretty easy after all.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-08-15
Thanks a bunch. I've been waiting for the 'new release' lens since Easter... getting old. LOL Might try the other lends on Ebay swapout thing. Thanks!