panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-01-18

nikkor 6mm

Hi

Does anybody know where to get the antique nikkor 6mm lense?? I was told by somebody that the price is about usd 2600. is that right?

Best regards

Morten

Best regards

Morten Andersen
- a newbie trying to improve
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-01-20

Hi

Can it be true that nobody can help me with this one?? Not even with an estimated price??

BEst regards

Morten

Best regards

Morten Andersen
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-01-20
I read somewhere that you might find an 8 mm $3,000 antique lens on Ebay.  Not really looked for a 6 mm Nikkor.
/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-01-20
you could try people like keh.com but its an unusual lens really produced partly for industrial use, inspecting small spaces and such. The earlier versions will be very hard to use on a modern camera, you will need a mirror lock up at least. The later f2.8 versions will be even rarer.

Probably you just have to watch ebay, use the alert service and hope one comes up eventually. You see the 7.5mm ones go past every now and again and the 8mm ones quite often. The older versions often go for well under a thousand dollars as they don't work easily on modern cameras and have old coatings. You should probably see a message in that.

Do you really really want one? Is the extra few degrees worth that much? Stick the latest sigma of peleng 8mm one a full frame canon and you are pretty close, not quite two shots but nearly. Or if you really need two shots and money is no object there is always the coastal optics for 4500 dollars 185 degrees on a standard nikon sensor. Some people have actually said some nice things about it lately.

The few times I've heard the 6mm lens mentioned its generally in relief that they no longer use it, old connections and 5kg. But if you really need it you may need to find out about some japenese dealers who probably have more of that sort of stuff or as I said watch ebay.

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-01-21

Hi

Got damn I am embarrased. IT is not the 6mm I am interested in. It is the Nikkor 8mm 2.8 fisheye I wanted to get hold off.

I read an old thread about it in this forum and it sounds like it is one of the best lenses that is made for our purpose.

Your can read the thread here http://www.easypano.com/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=1&TopicID=1162&ReturnPage=Search&PagePosition=0&ThreadPage=2

BEst regards

Morten Andersen

Best regards

Morten Andersen
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-01-29
well http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-Circular-Fisheye-Canon-Cameras/dp/B000GE9SBM seems cheapest at 590 dollars but you still have to Queue. Most palces were saying it was expected in january but I think there starting to realise thats not going to happen. Must be soon now though.
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-01-30
Quote: Originally posted by Wide-Eyes on January-24-2007

I guess my purchase list now includes:

1x canon 5d

1x sigma 8mm lense

1x agnos tcp short

1x Ring T

1x agnos telescopic pole

DAMN I will have to use a lot of money *lol*

Hey Morten,

If you are going to be using the 5D for sure, I would highly suggest that you consider the canon 15mm.  Although it takes a little more work on the post side because of the additional images that need to be shot...we feel the image quality of the canon lens is worth it. This becomes very evident when you encounter bright off axis lighting. The Canon seems to control lens flare much better than the Sigma.  And we do have the sigma 3.5's but they spend alot of time on the shelf...unless we are doing a quick real estate shot.

Matthew

Matthew

www.VirtualVue.com
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2007-01-30
Quote: Originally posted by mgora1 on January-30-2007
Quote: Originally posted by Wide-Eyes on January-24-2007

I guess my purchase list now includes:

1x canon 5d

1x sigma 8mm lense

1x agnos tcp short

1x Ring T

1x agnos telescopic pole

DAMN I will have to use a lot of money *lol*

Hey Morten,

If you are going to be using the 5D for sure, I would highly suggest that you consider the canon 15mm.  Although it takes a little more work on the post side because of the additional images that need to be shot...we feel the image quality of the canon lens is worth it. This becomes very evident when you encounter bright off axis lighting. The Canon seems to control lens flare much better than the Sigma.  And we do have the sigma 3.5's but they spend alot of time on the shelf...unless we are doing a quick real estate shot.

Matthew

Can't agree with you on that one Matthew!

I have a Canon 15mm Fisheye and although a very nice lens the image quality doesn't vary that much over the Sigma 8mm F/3.5 fisheye. Considering that it requires 6+TB and the Sigma 3 only. The lens flare on the Sigma 8mm is comparable with the Canon 15mm.

I'm not saying don't buy a Canon 15mm or even a Sigma 15mm fisheye both are very good lenses, but the Sigma 8mm F/3.5 is plenty good enough and reduces the amount shots to 3.

If you shoot same amount of shots with the Sigma I.E: 6+TB the quality is almost identical because you are only using the center most sharp part of the lens.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-01-30

Hi Matthew

How many pics is needed with a canon 15mm??

I want to use the 5D /sigma 8mm combo due to the ability to do 3 shot panos as I do with my coolpix 8700 / fce9. I am also considering a 5D / nikkor 10.5mm combo but I am not confident that I will be able to operate the lense manually. But it is tempting to give it a try :o)

best regards

Morten 

Best regards

Morten Andersen
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-01-30

As Smooth said it is 6 + TB although we are going to agree to disagree on the quality of the images produced by both lenses.

We did some side by side comparisons shooting with both lenses.  Same tripod location, lighting, shot settings, etc.  Just changed the lens and re-shot and the difference was noticeable. I will try to find the images and post the results. 

I will say the Sigma 3.5 is a far improvement from the 4 but still see a noticeable difference between the Canon. Maybe I have just been a Canon man way too long.

Matthew

Matthew

www.VirtualVue.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-01-30

ps.  Here is a site that we have ordered our Sigma lenses from in the past.  ight be helpful for someone. 

http://www.sigma4less.com/

Matthew

www.VirtualVue.com