panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-04-30

my crap ebay lens vs FC-E9

I just recently ordered the fc-e9 so i can do spherical panos.
but after looking at some samples of the lens I got to wondering. Will the FC-E9's Quality be as good as this cheap wide angle lens I got with my camera? I should be getting the fc-e9 on tues. I will compare then. Just want to see what you guys thought. I did these pano's with a generic tripod and two rubber bands so they are not perfect.haha
                         Thanx,
                            Chris

http://www.lakeareavirtualtours.com/tours/pano/Tourviewer_quality.html
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-04-30

well not sure.  Look at the 4th image - TomSawyer.  If you tilt down you will see a distorted 4 sided box. That means that the panorama is made from 4 images.  You are looking at the bottom of the 4 images.

Anyone want to take credit for these panoramas ?

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-04-30
It was actually 6 six around the center. just didn't crop the pano
For the indian and the strip i took 6around the center 6 around the top and 6 around the bottom. Now that i think about it , I could have probable got away with 6 around the top and 6 around the bottom. I used another program to stitch.
The quality is good enough for me right now with the wide angle lens ,but the time it took to do each pano was around 1 hour or more. thats why I'm getting the FC-E9.
Back to my question . I just want to know if the FC-E9 will produce the same quality or better.

Thanx
                          Chris
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2007-04-30

Potentially the FC-E9 can do better but this will come down to work flow and the skills you have (along with software) to make the most from "both" pretty poor quality lenses (in comparison to DSLR type lenses).

The FC-E9 is quite a soft lens and is a very big item. You really need to shoot RAW and process the images to gain the maximum for them.

Roadkillron uses one on a Canon (something) prosumer model and the let down is the fact it doesn't shoot RAW.

What ever the case with yours you will be able to shoot a lot less images and output reasonable results.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-04-30
Sounds good . I think i will definitely shoot in RAW mode.
Thank You for the advice.
                    Thanx,
                      Chris
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-04-30

I do use the FC-E9 on a Canon S3 IS, which does NOT shoot in RAW. I started out with a cheap lens from ebay, and what a mess - Here is the post when I first got the cheap lens.

http://www.easypano.com/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=1&TopicID=2490&ReturnPage=Search&PagePosition=0&ThreadPage=1

I am very happy with my FC-E9, looking to upgrade my camera soon, you can see my work @ www.360-vr-tour.com, if you have any more questions about this lens I would be glad to help.

Roadkill
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-04-30
I see what you guys mean about being a soft lens. but i think i will be happy for now. I can shoot in RAW mode and im getting pretty good with photoshop and compositing. so i think it will be fine for now. Im using a 0-360 one shot lens right now so its got to be better.
I'll practice with the fc-e9 for a while then probably sell that and the 0-360 and move up to the big dog Sigma.
        Thanx for the help guys
                        Take Care
                             Chris