panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-06-26

Pole or Tripod?

Observation: If the Mrotator fiberglass tapered segments HD pole is stable enough to take 360 pano shots at full extension, it seems it would certainly be stable enough at normal tripod heights.
Question: Can this pole be used in place of a tripod for "normal" indoor shots (8-10 foot ceilings)? Pros/Cons - all comments will be greatly appreciated.

callgary
E-mail Gary
Every moment is a learning experience. What have I learned today? What have I taught today?
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-07-01
Thanks Dave. The detailed explanation is exactly what I needed and extremely helpful.
callgary
E-mail Gary
Every moment is a learning experience. What have I learned today? What have I taught today?
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-06-26

I think that actually a pole will not be so stable as in fact a tripod is. Thats why, when you shoot outdoors with a pole it is always preferable search an open space without objects to close to the lens. Indoors that will be not so easy, what will make stitching difficult or even impossible, because of the movement of the pole. Just my thoughts.

Regards, Martin

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-06-26

I agree.  A pole is good for 20 foot ceiling heights or definately OUTside.

Typically we do not extend our tripod to full height anyway.  Only 2 of the 3 tripod leg segments are extended.  This does 2 things for me (Im 5 foot 10)....I really do not use the Canon 5d's viewfinder.  There is nothing I need to try to frame up on... after all its a 180deg fisheye.   I pay attention to the camera's initial direction angle and  LCD screen for the f/stop shutter speed.  Sometimes I do get a short glimps of the recorded image in the LCD screen after I have snapped the image.  Then its the same when I rotate 90 deg to the next click stop and so on.  Occasionally after taking the 4 +1 up zenith, I will look back at the histograms.  The second thing is before snapping the photo I can be sure to watch out for people traffic.  I can wait until they have passed before taking the photo.

With the pole its about the same.. you make the camera settings... then up it goes.... visually shoot 4 at what you think is 90 degrees... listen for the click stops and shutter release sounds.

With the pole there is NO parallax points to contend with... just shoot and stitch

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com