panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-06-26

Tripods Tripods Tripods

Perspective: taking 360 pano shots -
It seems the Manfrotto 3001 tripod is a popular choice in this forum. Without getting into the lighter-weight and more expensive exotic materials, what makes one set of headless tripod legs better than another???
What features are most desireable in a tripod intended strictly for pano shots?
What features (or lack of features) are undesireable?
What is your favorite tripod? - why?
callgary
E-mail Gary
Every moment is a learning experience. What have I learned today? What have I taught today?
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-06-28
Thanks Dave. I remember reading most of this in one of your earlier posts but couldn't find it. Your expertise is always appreciated!
callgary
E-mail Gary
Every moment is a learning experience. What have I learned today? What have I taught today?
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-06-26

Well, we used a $20 k-mart special for several years.  It had a pan/tilt head which was off center mark of rotation by 1/8" which really messed up my home made pan head.  I physically removed the panTilt with a hammera and saw.... to be able to only use the center shaft.

Then decided to move up to a semi pro light weight $100 tripod.  It only has a center shaft with a round top deck so I can mount our Agnos TCPshort pan head.  Remember total tripod, ball head, pan head, camera, lens is a lot of weight to lug around a site taking panoramas.  I now use a shoulder strap.  1 end connected to the ball head and the other end to the bottom of the center shaft.  Its easier to carry around.

A typical aluminum tripod is acceptable as long as it can handle 16 - 20 pounds of camera gear.  Its also handy if the center shaft has a hole in the bottom so you can hang a weight bag off it.... for windy days.

What do we use?  3001"D".  You can also buy replaceable parts for it like a pantilt head.  But we don't need or use one of those.

If you have not already visited this page.. you can see our gear here

http://360texas.com/services/software/agnos/index.htm

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com