panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-09-10

Fisheye lens or attachment?

I have a Nikon D200 and i want to do 180 and 360 panos. The only lens i have is a 50mm f1.4.

I need to know whether to go for a new fisheye lens like a Sigma (but not sure on focal length needed - would it be 8mm or 15mm?)

Or, should i go for a fish eye attachment to go on the front of my 50mm f1.4 lens?

What are the pros and cons of both methods, and what are my options?

Do you have any examples i could see with similar bits of kit?

Thanks.
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-10-01
Quote: This is why I have them all, and my bank account looks so pitiful![/QUOTE]

You should charge more! Honestly, the quality of service you offer is excellent.

I'm really impressed with both those links you sent me. I really want to make full screen (or nearly full screen) panos like that. I didn't think you could do those ones with Panoweaver and Tourweaver?! Or did you use other software?!

Good stuff mate.
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-09-16
Always the option of a peleng 8mm for the cheapskates, sharp if basic. Look on ebay.

http://timhatch.com/projects/wwp-equipment/
has examples of virtually every equipment combination at their best from the world wide panorama exhibition.
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-09-17
Quote: Originally posted by zxcvbnm on September-16-2007Always the option of a peleng 8mm for the cheapskates, sharp if basic. Look on ebay.

http://timhatch.com/projects/wwp-equipment/
has examples of virtually every equipment combination at their best from the world wide panorama exhibition.

Thanks, not sure if i want to fall into the cheapskate category (!) i'm after something cheap though if the quality is severely sacrificed then i'm willing to spend out a little more.

I was speaking to someone about the two fish eye lenses, Nikkor and Sigma. And they said the Nikkor's quality was so much better. Would it be a waste of time for me to get the Sigma 8mm?

I want sharp pictures really and i want to operate professionally so is there a great difference between the two?

Thanks all of you (again) for the help.
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2007-09-17

It's all relevant.

The Nikkor 10.5mm is sharper than the Sigma 8mm (by a little) but you shoot 6+TB to cover a sphere. Where as the Sigma 8mm can cover the same in 4 shots with a little clone/patch/heal on the tiny zenith star.

The Peleng is a budget lens that can produce some good results "IF" you get a good one "IF" you can live without camera auto focus and "IF" you shoot to avoid it's sun flare disadvantages.

People who say the Nikkor is "much" sharper are kidding themselves with what is relevant to Internet display. It's better but not HUGE and really for the extra work...... (6+TB vs 4 shots) Make up your own mind!

Owning a Nikon DSLR already the Nikkor 10.5mm could very well be the best solution for you.

Remember this: Just because you see or a pointed to some panorama images shot with a particular camera/lens combination doesn't mean these will be the results for you just because you spend the money buying them! There is way more to it then just dollars. Photography skill, processing skill and optimizing all come into play.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-09-20
Thanks Smooth

By the way, what does 'TB' stand for?
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2007-09-20

TB = Top and Bottom Shots. You will also here these called Zenith and Nadir or Ceiling and Floor, Up and Down shots. Easypano choose to call them Top and Bottom.

Regards, Smooth 

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-09-20

Agreed.  Sometimes use of terms is confusing.  Write down on piece of paper..

All horizon images = all images taken around the horizon

Zenith image taken at 90 degrees UP from the horizon. 

Nadir image taken at 90 degrees DOWN from the horizon.

Hope this helps

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-09-20
Cheers guys! Will write this down, thanks.
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-09-23
Okay, first of all sorry to bombard you all with questions. I am almost ready to ahead and start buying my kit but am not too sure about the lens situation.

So with a Nikkor 10.5 i would have to take 6 pictures?

And with a Sigma 8mm i would have to take 4?

Is this still the case if i am using a Nikon D200 with 10.2 megapixels? I would have thought that as there are more pixels this would make the 10.5 Nikkor a bit more like the Sigma 8mm?

I ask because i have been comparing the prices between the Nikkor and the Sigma lens and there isn't much of a price difference so was thinking about going with the Nikkor. But if i had to take 6 shots instead of 4 to make a Pano then this would be a disadvantage surely if say for example there were people in the Pano...

Yours confused,

Dexter
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2007-09-23

Megapixels are not the relevant issue it the sensor size.

Nikkor DSLR cameras have a smaller than "film" standard sensor either CCD or CMOS and with Nikon the multiplying factor is 1.5x. Canon on the other hand is 1.6x EXCEPT for the Canon DSLR's with a Full Frame CMOS Sensor 36mm x 24mm which is the same as the SLR film focal plane. These cameras are high end and the model's are the 5D, 1Ds MK I, II and III.

The upshot is, if you are going to use a Nikkor 10.5mm Fisheye Lens you are going to need to shoot 6+TB (8 Shots) to cover the 360x180. Where as with the Sigma 8mm Fisheye you can get away with as little as 4 shots in portrait mode using an Agnos MrotatorTCPS , MrotatorUM or UT or 3 shots in Oblique mode using a Agnos *MrotatorC Panohead (*Not compatible with Panoweaver).

My sample shot using the MrotatorC (3 Shot) and Canon 10D 6.3 MP, Sigma 8mm Fisheye can be viewed here

My sample shot using the MrotatorTCPS (3 Shot) and Canon 5D 12.7 MP (Full Frame), Sigma 8mm Fisheye can be viewed here

Just because you "can" shoot a full panorama with the Sigma 8mm Fisheye with as little as 3 or 4 shots doesn't mean you are restricted to this. You may like to shoot with 6+TB also. Understanding the sharpest part of a fisheye lens is the centre area. Though!, if you where to be bothered doing this then you would be better off with the Nikkor 10.5mm Fisheye for it's superior optics.

Don't discount the Tokina 10-17mm Zoom Fisheye as it also is a very good lens and has many more uses outside of panorama shooting.

It really is a well beaten path. most combinations work really well and it comes down to preference on camera brand, cost and what you require. It's hard to beat the convenience of the Sigma 8mm. It is also nice to shoot higher quality with the Nikkor 10.5mm.

This is why I have them all, and my bank account looks so pitiful!

Regards, Smooth