panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-10-02

Do I need a Ball Head??

I am in the process of purchasing a FC-E9 Nikon lens and Mrotator B mount with support bracket for my Nikon 8700.
Question---Do I need or have to have a ball head? If so what do you recommend. Do I need a special type of tripod?
Thanks so much, I could never do this without you guys help.
Nikon D300, D3s, Nikon 10.5 lens, RingT105N+Footplate+MrotatorTCPs, Giottos MT9261 Tripod, Manfrotto 410 Jr geared head.

If you know the "secret" then everyday is a good day!
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2007-10-02

You don't need a ball head but it will help you save plenty of time.

The fact is you need to level your rotator/panohead at position one of your panorama shooting series. Using a Ball Head or Pistol Grip leveler will allow you to set up quite quickly. Most come with a 3/8" mounting thread (and or are supplied with a 1/4" thread adapter). Tripods are supplied new with either of these two threads.

You should buy a stable tripod. Band is unimportant but I like Velbon and Manfrotto. Gitzo are also highly recommended. Look for features "you" need or want. Test them in store with your panohead fitted for stability if the store will allow.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-10-02
Thanks Smooth, do I need a certain model?? I've been looking on ebay and there are several and I'm not sure which one is best for my set-up.
Nikon D300, D3s, Nikon 10.5 lens, RingT105N+Footplate+MrotatorTCPs, Giottos MT9261 Tripod, Manfrotto 410 Jr geared head.

If you know the "secret" then everyday is a good day!