2007-10-08

Near ready to order ?

Hi guys,

I'm nearly ready to order my kit.

I think i'm going to buy :
Canon 40D with 17-85mm IS USM
Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG
Agnos MRotatorTCPShort

But i want your recommandation for tripod and leveler.

I currently have a manfrotto 055CL
http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/offonce/lang/fr/pid/2048

with the 141rc head
http://www.ol-optic.com/manfrotto-rotule-141rc-p-2291.html 

So i want to know if my tripod is good and maybe i only have to buy the manfrotto 222 leveler as suggested by smooth ???
http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/2311

If i buy this leveler, does it replace the 141rc head ?
cause i have problem figuring the setup.

P.S. i'm thinking i will also use the 40D to take traditional 2D pictures. will the mrotator tcpshort keep the setting when i will remove the camera from the equipment ? i think there is a manfrotto 323 item in the package. again, it's a part i don't get completely.

thanks for any advice.

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-10-08
Thanks Smooth for quick reply,

so i can keep my 055CL manfrotto tripod and just order the manfrotto 222 leveler ???

is it enough ? i mean, maybe i can add bubble level for flash hotshoe from agnos at same time as the mrotator tcpshort.
anything else to keep my life easier ?

plus, if i mention smooth when ordering from agnos, will i get a rebate or maybe a quote for you, cause i'm buying that because of your posts here...

p.s. are you aware of web sites to buy manfrotto 222 and sigma 8mm lense but i want shipping from canada to avoid duties and brokage fees ?
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-10-08
I just bought a Amvona Dynatran Professional Tripod AT858B off Ebay for $20.50 plus $14 S&H Brand New. I must say I was very surprised at the well built quality for the price.Very solid and sturdy no plastic. I did some research and people are saying its a manfrotto knockoff. I'm on a very small budget after my Camera and lens purchase so I bought this tripod and I'm very happy I did. Its better than my Bogen 3001 tripod. You might wanna check it out. Dynatran AT 858B
I have read some bad reviews on there Heads though.

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2007-10-08

Hi slingky,

Mate, I don't really see why you would want or need the 141rc head. You would be better just to place the Manfrotto #222 straight on top of the tripod. Using the #222 you still can use the camera on top for 2D shots and also place the MrotatorTCPS on it as well.

The #222 has the same plate and mount as a #323 that is supplied with the MrotatorTCPS so you can just unclip and swap at will.

The tripod that Chris mentions I also have a variant of. Though, mine is badged as "Professional" and has a Monopod as the centre column. It was supplied with a Pistol Grip head similar to the Manfrotto #222. They are made in china and are badged in many names. Looks to be this one. I haven't seen a Manfrotto that I would call it a copy of though. It is a very sturdy design and I would recommend them BUT! they are very heavy. Great for car to house etc. I wouldn't want to carry it on a bush walk again.

I have multiple tripods including the new Manfrotto 190XPROB but my favourite for everyday all occasion is the Velbon Sherpa.

Don't forget software shopping is available at www.smooth360.info

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-10-23
Hi guys,

I finally receive all my stuff.
I get 5% discount on MRotator TCPShort from agnos.com
(thanks to smooth discount)
I ordered the sigma 8mm lense from sigma4less and paid $599US.
Canon EOS 40D (with 17-85 lense) was bought from local bestbuy ($1583 CDN)
And i finally ordered the manfrotto 222 leveler as suggested by smooth from henrys.com

I'm ready to build the setup.
Could you point me to a guide ?
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2007-10-23

Great to hear you equipment has come together.

Don't know of a guide as such.

It's all pretty straight forward though. Wack it together and locate the NPP for the lens position. Pretty much you need to place the gold ring over the centre line of the tripod mounting thread. Make sure both X & Y Axis is as perfect as you can get.

Tilting the camera 90 degrees down and looking through the view finder centre focus point will help align your camera/lens.

When you get stuck ask us all here for a bit of help.

Don't forget to post some learning examples.

Regards, Smooth  

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-10-23

slingky,

As Smooth has suggested, please post some learning samples! I'm looking to upgrade my equipment soon and this is right along the lines of what I was going for. I was actually looking at the Rebel XTI - but you just might help me change my mind if we can see some samples.

Thanks,

Roadkill
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-10-23
Hi again,

there is my 1st one...i know it's terrible !

http://maximelaplante.com/panoweaver/

maybe npp is not set correctly.
i put each sliders at 35mm mark

plus i need to stitch images better
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2007-10-23

You need to remove the second part of the Sigma 8mm lens ring. The cap clips into the "ring" the ring itself just pulls off the lens. There is no need to actually unclip the lens cap. Just pull the whole thing off. This is why you are not capturing the full scene. Then you also need to adjust the NPP camera "appears" to be too far back. Get the Gold Ring over the centerline axis.

Regards, Smooth 

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-10-23

Yes 

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-10-23
Wow, i removed the cover and magic !

check my site, is it better now ?
maximelaplante.com/panoweaver

i will try to shoot T+B soon and post result here...