panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-11-21

HDR - workflow and tips?

Sorry to chime in again about this again and look for your help but we're trying to 'up our game' and are shooting RAW for the first time.

I've several bracketed RAW files (Barrel fisheye from a Sigma/D200) which we took to get the most detail from the windows and shadows. That leaves me with 4 images per room shot at 3 to 5 different exposure levels.

Should I adjust levels , colour balance etc etc on each barrel image BEFORE I create each equirectangular image or should I only do post-production on the final HDR pano?

My RAW files are very dark. I did a little research and read that this is nayural enough for RAW files. Indeed Picassa shows them at the more "correct" exposures. Is that accurate?

What do you recommend as the best workflow to end up with nice HDR images. I was thinking.

A. Process all RAW images as TIFF.
B. Stitch and end up with several equirectangular TIF images
C. Import into a HDR/Tone mapping application

I know it seems like a lot of work but it's enjoyable and I'd like them to be fine looking images.
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-11-21

We use 4 clickstop at 90 degrees with 350d take bracket  -2,0,+2 Raw.   We use Photomatix to combine the images into 1 set of 4.

Then use Panoweaver5 

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-11-21
Thanks Dave. I was ordering Photomatix just now. I'm happy with the results so far.

So you combine the 4 exposures into a single barrel image and then use PW5 to actually stitch?

That's confusing because Photomatix won't import RAW images.
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-11-23
Texas - can I ask...do you save your RAWs as TIFFs first and should I colour balance and sharpen each bracketed barrel image first too?
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2007-11-23

I think you would be served well to do the RAW Tutorial with me one on one as many others have here on the forum. Learning the correct way from the start will answer all your questions and speed up your understanding of the processes.

This is only a suggestion, others might comment if they consider it worthwhile.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-11-23

Well I did the tutorial and it helped me a lot.
Its worth to understand the raw process and the possibilities it offers. First it may sound as more time consuming but it makes the whole pano taking process easier, faster and secure, because there is always the raw backup.

Good luck, Martin

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-11-23
Smooth - that sounds great. Is it an online tutorial or a PDF etc?

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2007-11-24

It is online direct with me one on one via instant text.

I walk you through the process step by step until I'm sure you understand. We work with the exact same image so the results are live as we go.

Obviously this is a paid professional service for 100% dedicated time.

Please contact me via Private Message if you would like to know more or book a suitable time.

Regards, Smooth