panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-01-05

Advice For Equipment . . .

Hello,

This is my first post so please go easy on me and all help is appreciated!

I have a Canon 350D which I may be updating in the near future so I need the equipment that I buy now to be compatible with this and other Canon cameras. I will be using Tourweaver and Panoweaver too.

Which Lens?

I have been looking at the Sigma lens, both the Sigma AF 8mm f3.5 EX DG and the Sigma AF 8mm f4 EX DG but still not too sure which one is better from what I have read. I have seen them for just over a $1000.00 AUD and the difference is only $20.00!

Please also let me know if you have seen them cheaper!

Which Pano Head?

I have looked at so many of these and still cannot make up my mind. I read the reviews by 360Texas as they used a 350D and thinking about either the Agno's MrotatorU & RotatorT (which is a small setup) or the Mrotator TCPshort (which a comment was made about the camera movement due to weight etc!)

Thanks in Advance,

Carruss.

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2008-01-06

Your 350D will be fine.

The Sigma 8mm EX DG F/3.5 Fisheye is the better of all the Sigma 8mm lenses and is the current release. Pricing in Australia can be over the top so look also at importing etc. 

The Agnos MrotatorUT or MrotatorTCPS is your best bet.

You will need to shoot and stitch minimum of 4 shots at 90 degrees in "Drum" mode to cover full 360x180 panorama.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-01-06

Thanks for the reply Smooth!

Another thing I just thought of is that I have two what I would call standard type tripods. No famous brand name etc. They both have the usual quick release fitting that screws in to the base of the camera body and clips on to the tripod.

Would I need any other fitting or does the MrotatorT use this type of fitting?

Its just that I want to place an order with Agnos and make sure that I am ready for the complete set up when it all arrives!

I am going to go for the MRotatorUT too but when you look at the MRotatorT on its own you see it has a metal part coming out with the bubble level on it. But when you see it as the kit this is not there! Is this just that it is an older picture for the kit do you know?

I have also found the lens for just under $760.00 AUD now too!

Thanks again,

Carruss.

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2008-01-06

I believe the bubble level for the MrotatorT Base is an option but please check with Agnos. (Tell him Smooth recommended you)

As far as the quick release is concerned I use the Manfrotto #323 and these have a 3/8th thread or can be adapted down to 5/16th thread with common thread adapter. The Mrotator Base has a standard 3/8th tripod thread so yes you can simply use the existing quick release so long as it is standard 3/8 or 5/16th thread. I would not use a plastic version though!

The MrotatorT Base is an excellent rotator base. I would really suggest you get a twin axis hot shoe bubble level. The higher the level on the set up the better. I have more levels than I would ever need and it's the Hot Shoe level that gets "all" my attention when setting a shot. 

The price sound a lot better on the Sigma 8mm, just be 100% sure it's the F/3.5 EX DG version.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-01-07

OK, thanks for yet another quick reply!

I have now ordered the F3.5 lens and have asked Agnos some questions too.

You mention not to use a 'plastic' quick release, is this because of all the weight that would be put upon it and risk of breaking etc? I see Agnos do not do these so I will have a look in the shop tomorrow and for the levels too.

Regards,

Carruss.

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2008-01-07

The plastic will not handle the weight at all. Fact is if your tripod is sing this I very much doubt to tripod will be much chop either! But this you will find out about when you start shooting. Agnos do offer Twin Axis Bubble Levels also Manfrotto and at camera stores etc. The MrotatorTCPS with "P" being Professional includes (1) Manfrotto #323 Quick Release. These also are available from camera stores.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2008-01-28

Try getting a Velbon or Manfrotto from Madsen's in Wollongong. They are Manfrotto dealers www.manfrottoshop.com.au Personally I would order a Velbon Sherpa 600R

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-01-29

Ok, I had looked at both the Velbon and Manfrotto's range and the Velbon 600R is quit an old tripod (over 2 years going by one websites catologue) although it may be updated or something.

I have also looked at Manfrotto's 190XPROB Tripod with the 804RC2 which is a new model and may just go for this one.

Decisions, decisions ! ! !

Carruss.  

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2008-01-29

I have the Manfrotto 190XPROB and 486RC2 Ball Head. Still recommend the Velbon after years of use. Just because something is getting older doesn't make it redundant it makes it "proven".

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-01-30
Quote: Originally posted by smooth on January-29-2008

Just because something is getting older doesn't make it redundant it makes it "proven".

Regards, Smooth

Thats what I keep telling my wife!

Ok, I will take another look at them and compare them too. Also, I did think about the 'pistol grip' too but was a bit concerned about the weight of the setup. It does look like it would make getting it all level a bit easier but not sure at the moment.

Carruss.

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-02-23
Hi Carruss
Can you tell me how you go with the canon 350d and the sigma fisheye f3.5 lense?
I have also the canon 350d, and as you i am not sure at the moment witch lense to use.
What do you think about the Agnos MrotatorUT. Are happy with it?

Thanks
Arnie