panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-01-20

Least Expensive Setup for a Newbie?

Hi there;

I'm so overwhelmed by all the information on here! I don't know anything about photography or cameras, but as a web designer, I've had several client show serious interest in virtual tours, so I'd like to give it a try. As I said, I'm definately not a photographer though!

I'm curious as to what people would recommend as the least expensive full setup to give professional results? I want to do the full, spherical, 360 tours, with ceiling and floor included. I will need everything - camera, lens, tripod, all of that. I'd really appreciate if someone could recommend which Items will work well together, at the lower end of the price spectrum.

Thank you very much!

Amanda

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2008-01-20

Next to buying secondhand DSLR I.E: Canon 300D, 350D or maybe a Nikon D70, D50.

This is my new budget recommendation: *Most Recommended

Camera:

• Canon 400D (Rebel XTi)*
  • Nikon D40X

Lens:

• Sigma 8mm F/3.5 Fisheye (Canon or Nikon) "4, 4+T, 4+TB, 6, 6+T, 6+TB" Drum*.
  • Tokina 10-17mm Zoom Fisheye (Canon or Nikon) "6+TB" Full Frame
  • Nikkor 10.5mm Fisheye (Nikon) "6+TB" Full Frame

Panohead:

Tripod:

Extras:

• Software
  • Hot Shoe Bubble Level
  • Tilt Leveler (Manfrotto #222 Pistol Grip)

Of course you can play with older non DSLR cameras like the Nikon Coolpix range. But you would soon want the quality of the better DSLR and superior lens optics.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-01-21

Thanks for the info!

I am also looking into used equipment... I have someone who is selling a Nikon Coolpix 995 camera, Nikon Fisheye Converter FC-E8, and an Ipix Panohead for Coolpix 995 for under $500 Canadian...

Seems like it'd be about a third the cost of buying new.

Do you think this setup would work? Would I be able to do just the 3 fisheye shots in Panoweaver?

Thanks,

Amanda

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-01-21

as long as you are using the FC-E8,  yes 3 images taken at 120  degrees will work fine.  Don't forget to level up on click stop #1

hmm I wonder if the ipix panhead does only 2 images.. or can you manually rotate around to 3 postions?

With 2 click stop pan head.. you will only get about 3 degrees overlap  1.5 on each left and right side.    With 3 images you will get more overlap and better seam area blending

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2008-01-21
Quote: Originally posted by AmandaW on January-21-2008

Thanks for the info!

I am also looking into used equipment... I have someone who is selling a Nikon Coolpix 995 camera, Nikon Fisheye Converter FC-E8, and an Ipix Panohead for Coolpix 995 for under $500 Canadian...

Seems like it'd be about a third the cost of buying new.

Do you think this setup would work? Would I be able to do just the 3 fisheye shots in Panoweaver?

Thanks,

Amanda

Sure it would work. But you stated in your original post "Quality" and you want get much from an old 995. If I was going to recommend any of the Coolpix range I would not get anything less than a Coolpix 5000 (5 megapixel) with the updated firmware to allow it to shoot RAW .nef images. Anything older will be good only for learning and the major lesson learnt will be "I should have bought an DSLR in the first place"

Regards, Smooth