panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-03-09

Tripod Head...

I have similar questions...

I've been using Nikon Equipment so i would choose to stick with Nikon, but agree and think it's time to upgreade to DSLR...

Being the weird nut i am, i purchased a Manfrotto 303 SPH before i even purchased the camera itself!

I have recently found an artcile explaining how to photograph using this 'head' and it daunted me when it said i had to remove the camera off the tripod and with minimal movement to take a picture of the ground with the tripod out of the way, to have the image where you would not need to use a tripod CAP!

Is this the only way ??

I have obviously not tried the 303 SPH yet becuase i have not decided on which equipment to purhcase for this reason!

In the end, i would like to offer clients a high end quality 360 panoramic image OR/AND virtual tour with minimal if not any obvious parasytes in the final image!

I have seen some beautiful FULL SCREEN 360's with no CAP and they look stunning... how can i get this effect ??

i don't mind setting up a new kit from scratch as i have been saving up for this... just need to be guided in the right direction...

thanks

www.LivingNorthCyprus.Com
virtually and visually north cyprus...
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-03-09
Hi LivingNC, loved looking at your website, brought back some old memories. I lived in Cyprus for almost two years back in the 70's, just before the Turkish invasion. All US military were removed about 3 months before the invasion. So that tells you "we knew about it in advance".
As for the tripod it can be removed in Photoshop with the clone tool. I am always careful where I place my tripod. I make sure it's over something that, hopefully, will be easy to clone. I also look at the ceiling to make sure it will be easy to use the healing tool to correct that. I'm sure the more experienced will provide more information.
BTW if you are going to use a "lens cap", a round cap will look much better, just my 2 cents worth.
Nikon D300, D3s, Nikon 10.5 lens, RingT105N+Footplate+MrotatorTCPs, Giottos MT9261 Tripod, Manfrotto 410 Jr geared head.

If you know the "secret" then everyday is a good day!
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-03-13

hiya jerry...

thanks for response...

unfortunately the clone and heal tool does not always work as floors can be covered in mosaics and tiles over here!

Cyprus has changed a lot since the 70's... some for the good and some that could be better... same anywhere in the world...

Thanks again...

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2008-03-13

Hello LivingNC,

Yes, you should upgrade to a DSLR (your choice Nikon, Canon Fuji etc)

I would not have suggested the Manfrotto 303SPH but now you have it it will do. Shooting the Nadir (Bottom) shot should be done carefully to mimic where the tripod will stand and is best shot before shooting on the tripod. It is most important to gauge the same hight and position and shot this hand held or on a tilted tripod.

Some will use the idea of converting the equirectangular image to cubic and use the nadir tile for the cloning work or to "patch" in the nadir shot instead of trying to stitch it in.

Shooting and stitching nadir images requires a certain amount of skill. Cloning and Healing the area in Photoshop requires even more skill "if" the Nadir/Bottom/Floor shot contains patterns. Most newbies will simply cap the tripod with a custom logo or limit the "tilt" parameters of the panorama viewer.

There are many and varied ways of completing the equirectangular panorama so that it displays as a seamless sphere. A lot will depend on what Camera/Fisheye Lens you end up with.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-03-13

Hiya Smooth,

I have been coming across your advice all aroudn this forum and your siggestions and ideas have been of value...

You did mention that you would not have suggested the manfrotto 303 SPH, what is the reason for this ? and what would you advise alterntaviely ??

As i will be having top end clients (fingers X!) and i want to get things right from the start...

Shooting the Nadir is a slight concern as i don't clearly understand how! i understnad handheld which means i will need to stretch out and shoot facing down.. ?!? how much of the ground surface does the angle of view cover ?

i'm thinking of purchasing the NIKON D60 with a sigma 8mm Fisheye... i have a tripod already, and the older version of EasyPano... which i will be upgreading soon, but once i have figured out how to stitch with panoweaver 4.00 or 5.00 even! (currently using trial version!)...

i wish i could just visit you down under as i am a better learner when i take part in visual lessons! :)

Once i get this right, i will post some pano's that i am proud of... let's just hope it doesn't take me to the grave!

Thanks again...

olkan

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2008-03-14

Olkan,

Using Panoweaver 4/5 Pro is not that hard, though things look different from 3.01 basically it is the same but with more options and a new face!

As for the panohead I would no doubt have recommended the Agnos MrotatorUT for the Nikon D60 and Sigma Lens or the Nodal Ninja 5L. The reason for not recommending the Manfrotto 303SPH is that it is very large, very heavy and not as accurate as it should be for the price charged. Still, as I have already pointed out it will be fine. The 300N rotator base is a very good item.

Shooting the nadir handheld will give you an image that is quite large and no doubt will include your lower legs and feet. One method will be to "de-fish" the nadir shot and patch this into the nadir tile using Photoshop.

The Sigma 8mm will allow you to shoot the full 360x180 in 4 "drum" shots + 1 nadir shot. You will be advised to tilt the camera/lens up by 3 to 5 degrees to close the zenith hole/star. This will open the nadir hole slightly but this will easily be covered in the handheld nadir shot.

Thing to remember: The nadir shot (and for that matter the zenith shot) should be taken at the last position in the shooting rotation sequence. So using the Sigma (4 shot) 0, 90, 180, 240 + Nadir/Zenith* (*if required) when shooting the 4th shot at the 240 degree mark you then would tilt -90,+90 shoot the Nadir -90 and Zenith +90 shots.

Visual lessons are on the way with video/flash tutorials. That way you miss out on the holiday to Australia but retain the money to spend on the tuition!

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-03-14
OK Smooth, now that you have given us a tease about the visual lessons, tell us more!
Nikon D300, D3s, Nikon 10.5 lens, RingT105N+Footplate+MrotatorTCPs, Giottos MT9261 Tripod, Manfrotto 410 Jr geared head.

If you know the "secret" then everyday is a good day!
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-03-14

wow!

so much fun here!

thanx for the tip(s) smooth!

regarding Panoweaver 4.0 and 5.0; i guess i have to master the manual 'points' seem thingy as it is so easy to use in 3.01!

i just havn't got my head around how the 2 points i choose should be matching!

Gonna give it some more time untill i purchase the whole product!

It's probably my first time in any kind of Forum and it's so valuable to have you guys around...

can't wait for the video tutorials!!