panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-04-17

Nikon FC-E9 -- what happened to it?

Hi,

This question is about the Nikon FC-E9

It's no longer listed on the Panoweaver 5.0 Compatible Equipment page.

However, it was on the 4.0 Equipment page.

Why is the Nikon not recommended anymore? Should I use the Sigma 8mm ? Which one is better?

What I would like to do is shoot a 360 panorama using only 2 shots. So I if the Nikon gives wider angle, I would prefer that over the Sigma.

Thanks in advance,
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2008-04-17

I sure they still exist and Panoweaver will stitch them no problem. You need to understand it is a fairly poor quality lens and a step backwards over the FC-E8. Being far softer/lens sharp. Would not be on my shopping list these days.

You didn't state you camera?

The lens (FC-E9) also was never designed to be placed on a DSLR and this is where the market is these days. If you "must" have a DLSR 2 shot solution then the Sigma 4.5mm Fisheye and the Sunex Superfisheye are the only option for the DSLR under $1000 USD. Both of these will limit your final maximum panorama image size to something well under 5000x2500 pixels.

Far better value is the Sigma 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye which will yield an image of around 8000x4000 with superior detail. Though you are back to 4 (drum) image stitching.

Regards, Smooth 

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-04-17
Hi,

I don't have a camera or any other equipment yet. I'm trying to determine what equipment to buy, that will give the best results for making panoramas using Panoweaver 5.0.

Super high resolution is not neccesary for me, since I will be scaling down the file for a website (flash output) anyways.

From what you said about the FC-E9, I guess I shouldn't get that.... so my choice really comes down to the 8mm Sigma or the 4.5mm Sigma?

It would be *nice* to get complete 360 coverage with 2 shots, but not if it results in a distorted image or some other problem.

Since the 8mm Sigma is what Easypano recommends, I suppose I should go with that? Having to shoot 4 drum images is acceptable. But will I get complete top (ceiling) and bottom coverage as well, with 4 shots?
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2008-04-17

If it was me I wouldn't hesitate getting the Sigma 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye. 4 shots at 90 degrees tilted up 4 degrees will fully close the top/ceiling/zenith hole and the tripod/panohead/floor/nadir will need to be capped or cloned as it would in any other solution. Of course you make choose to shoot a nadir image to help with patching hand held.

No images regardless of the lens once stitched will give a distorted image (that is a myth that newbies always have a concern about) If you see distortion in a panorama it is because the viewing FOV (Field of View) in incorrectly set allowing you to see more than the human eye expects.

There is no risk that skill in Photoshop will be of benefit along with knowing the camera and equipment being used.

Look around and learn more before buying your equipment. But let others guide you as it is a well warn path. What is your budget and what do you own so far?

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-04-17
I don't have *any* equipment right now. My budget is around $2000 USD (for hardware only, Panoweaver software will be bought separately)

I'm inclined to just go with whatever the Panoweaver Recommended list says, which would be:

Nikon D70s (price?)
Sigma 8mm F3.5(or F4) EX DG Fisheye
MrotatorTCPShort
Manfrotto 190CL