panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-08-22

2 shot fisheye lens

Hi all

I'm about to start taking interior real estate shots and I'm look ing for the best lens for a 2 shot solution:
I've a nikon d70s and the rest of the gear but am stuck on lens choice:
Would the nikkor fisheye work?
or should I go for the sigma?
Or does anyone have any other opinions?
Would welcome your views.

Thanks

Paul

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2008-08-22

Hello Paul,

Your options are limited when it comes to 2 shot panoramas and DSLR cameras especially small DX/APS-C sensor DSLR's.

Basically you can choose from the Sigma 4.5mm Fisheye or Sunex Superfisheye if you want to buy something under $1000. Over this amount you can run with the Coastal Optics fisheye at $4000+

None of these will yield super results with two shots as the overlap is small (very small) and will make for difficult stitching and show to some degree dark lines because of vignetting at the seams.

You would be far better of shooting 3 shots at 120 degrees or 4 shots at 90 degrees. There are many reasons why this would be better.

• Lots of overlap for stitching control points.
  • Fisheye images are typically softer at the edges with the centre part of the image sharpest.
  • Software support.
  • Forum/User support.

Personally I would suggest you shoot with a Sigma 8mm fisheye (4 Shots, 4+T or 4+TB) or use a Nikkor 10.5mm Fisheye (6+TB).

I don't believe you will ever be happy with any of the two shot options in the long run.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-08-22
Thnaks smooth - I think what I'll go for is the sigma and try for 4 portrait drum images and see what result that yields (thats the advice given by the easypano team).
The main constraint on me is time. I need to be in and out of the properties in under a day!!
My biggest concern is getting lighting set up, exposure just right and having to deal with the light from windows vs room light. The less I have to do in photoshop the better.
As a matter of interest what pano head would you recommend - bearing in mind my camera/lens and portrait shots setup. My budget is about 150 (UK sterling).

Many thanks

Paul

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2008-08-22

Using the 8mm Sigma Fisheye and shooting some brackets should take no time at all and will not really impact on stitching time. For the money you cannot go past the Nodal Ninja 3 MKII panohead for your set up. The other option worth consideration would be the Agnos RingT8S Kit 1 or if you can wait the soon to be released Nodal Ninja 180.

Shooting 4 drum shots with about 5 degree tilt up (too close the zenith completely) and then all you need do is patch or cap the nadir/tripod and hole. Easy!

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-08-22
Thanks smooth I'll let you know how I get on.