panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-08-27

use flash or other lighting?

I am taking photos of a home that it's entrance to home has a 25' ceiling and the stairs to the second floor start about 8' from the door. At the entrance, there is a huge chandler and during the day it is not very well lit. On either side of this "room" is a formal dining and a formal living area. Neither of course is well lit either.

I have talked about taking pictures before, but I just don't know how to overcome certain obstacles.

This is still my first project and will set the mood in continuing this 360 venture.

Any suggestions?
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-08-27
Welcome aboard!

Look here

lighting discussion

If you are not a photographer by trade with a lot of experience using flash I would recommend you look into blended (or HDR) as a solution to this.

Vince
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-08-27
Not a photographer by trade but fluent in Photoshop. I tried taking pictures with a flash that had a plastic cover on it. It was supposed to diffuse the light. What it actually did is give some very harsh shadows to everything.

The big issue is the high ceilings with light fixtures that really don't do anything during the day. I am sure they work great at night, but have no use otherwise. Driving me crazy.

I am going back next week, but I would like to practice prior.

I am trying the blending as you mention, but at this point in time I am getting too much digital noise.

Thanks for the thread Vince.
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-08-27
The noise is normally a result of blending under exposed images and trying to pull out shadow detail. Just to check, you are:
1: bracketing with the shutter speed not the f-stop
2: turning auto focus off, and maybe evan taping the lens in place set at infinity
3: shooting at f8 or higher
4: setting white balance to just about anything other then "auto"
5: shooting in RAW if it an option on your camera
and some other things that I can't remember right now, but I'm sure someone will come along and add them to the list.
6: trying different software to do the blending, some programs work better for some people, others for other people. I use Xfuse, the Mac version of "Enblend

If my first tour "set the mood" for my career, I would be asking people if they "would like fries with that today?

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-09-04
Vince,

Thanks for the advise. Had not thought of the white balance adjustment. I saw the thread earlier today and bought the card needed for the adjustment. Also, I had not played with the adjustment that my flash has as far as how much light is transmitted.

Oh, BTW...curly fries instead!

I take the photos tomorrow, I'll give everyone an update.