panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-11-24

Which Fisheye lens?

Hi, I am looking at buying teh Nikon D300 and wondered which fisheye lens to go for. Should it be the Nikon 10.5mm or the Sigma 8mm or other.

I am currently using a one shot lens and want to improve my game. I see taht many people use the D300 and it has a lot of good reviews. I am confused however which lens to get and also what else I should be looking at getting. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. I know this is open territory but user feed back from people actually doing tours and the equipement they use is the only way I can find out the direction to go. If I am going to spend a lot of money I would like to know that I have spent it in the right direction. 

I am off to Hong Kong in a weeks time and hope to find some good deals on the camera and lens its just a case of knowing what to go for.

Look forward to any advice going.

Apartment rentals Nerja

Villa rentals Nerja

Accommodation Nerja

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2008-11-24

It really depends on what you want to produce.

You have options:

• Nikkor 10.5mm Fisheye (6+TB) can be five shot +TB
  • Sigma 4.5mm Fisheye (3) can be two shot with little overlap
  • Sigma 8mm Fisheye (4) can be three shot with 60 degree angle
  • Sigma 10mm Fisheye (6+TB) can be five shot +TB
  • Tokina 10-17mm Zoom Fisheye (6+TB) can be five shot +TB
  • Sunex Superfisheye (3) can be two shot with little overlap
  • (Panoweaver compatible)

Personally I feel you really can't go passed the Nikkor 10.5mm Fisheye. Second to that would be the Sigma 8mm Fisheye for minimising shots. The Tokina has it's advantages as it can be used for different purposes. They would be my top three.

........and you will need a quality panohead too match.

If you are looking for used secondhand panohead contact me I have quite a few for sale.

Regards, Smooth 

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-11-24

Thanks Smooth, as I am new to this I guess I would like to take as fewer shots as necessary so I am guessing that the Sigma 8mm would be my best option.

Am I right in thinking that all I require is

A) The Camera - possibly D300 a good option

B) Sigma 8mm Lens

C) A Pano head/rotator

D) Decent Tripod - i.e Manfrotto

C) Stitching Software

D) Possibly HDR software for merging bracketed shots.

Am I missing any fundamental parts/accessories in my shopping list?

Thanks for the input.

Apartment rentals Nerja

Villa rentals Nerja

Accommodation Nerja

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-11-24
Hi Nerjaace, with the quality you have been getting from the one-shot you should do great with the new set-up. As you know I use only Nikon with the Agnos TCPshort.
I can attest to the quality of the Nikon equipment. About a week ago I was leaving my house for a shoot. I picked up my hard case and it was not latched. The strange thing is it did not fall open until I was down my steps standing over a rock walkway. Everything came out, the D300, 12-24 lens, 18-200 lens and the 10.5 lens in the Agnos set-up with the ringT. The camera hit so hard it bent the bracket for the flash, had to use a screwdriver to pry it open enough to use my bubble level. The 12-24 and 18-200 both lost their lens caps and hit glass on rock. I carefully brushed them with my lens brush and cleaned them with some lens cleaner. Knock on wood, everything seems fine so far. I have shot several tours and can see no problem with the images.
Could the others stand up to this abuse, I don't know and hope no one has to find out the hard way. But I'll keep putting my money on Nikon......
Nikon D300, D3s, Nikon 10.5 lens, RingT105N+Footplate+MrotatorTCPs, Giottos MT9261 Tripod, Manfrotto 410 Jr geared head.

If you know the "secret" then everyday is a good day!
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-11-24
That must have been a heart stopping moment Jerry!

Apartment rentals Nerja

Villa rentals Nerja

Accommodation Nerja

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-11-24
The heart stopping moment was my wife was there watching me....
Nikon D300, D3s, Nikon 10.5 lens, RingT105N+Footplate+MrotatorTCPs, Giottos MT9261 Tripod, Manfrotto 410 Jr geared head.

If you know the "secret" then everyday is a good day!
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-11-26

Hi

Mmmm, the Nikkor lens seems to get a very respectful rating. I currently use the Sigma 8mm (4+T) with reasonable results(although I will embark shortly with smooth regarding tuition on improving my end results). I have 2 questions. Would it make a noticeable difference with the end result to justify the expense of the Nikkor lens?. Secondly, I assume I would need to reset the NP each time a lens change is required? Has anyone gone from the Sigma to the Nikkor lens and, if so, what is there opinion between the two.

Terry
Nikon D300(Sept08), Sigma 8mm, agnos short
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2008-11-26

Terry,

You will not see a huge difference in quality of result when compared at the same "final" display size. The advantage of the Sigma 8mm is the reduction in images needed. But you are also sacrificing "possible" maximum image size. 

It is horses for courses and that is why I own both.

Simply buying another lens will not instantly improve your results (unless you think and display bigger is better).

Finding the correct Hyperfocal focus setting and having a good processing workflow is much more valuable.

....and yes the NPP setting for each lens is different and will require adjustment.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-11-27
Terry
use the hyperfocal setting, as Smooth advices,.
This will give you extra sharpnes - a lot better then using AF or fixed @ 1m or so.
Just did a "Neocorus"- Object 15cm away from the lens.
F8 @ hyperfocal setting and a fine sharp image, you can enjoy the paintings an the wall, app. 7-10m away, too.
Neocorus JAVA

Neocorus DevalVR - Best !

I suffered from a lack of sharpness too: setting the lens correctly, using ab 230 pts of sharpness (Capture One V4 : max: 500) and the right tilesize in Pano2QTVR really did it.
I dont have sharpen no more in my process now.

I also use the Tokina 10-17 - but thats another story: need more images and PTEDitor cant handle the filesize larger then @ 10mm no more.

The Sigma 8 give ab. 8000 x 4000 -> still more than twice I need for Internet diplay.
Camera: Canon 40D, 1.6 Crop.

ciao

mike
360de.de
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2008-11-28

Mike,

You should look to Pano2VR software and it's new Patch option. This is not restricted in file sizes like PTEditor and can handle 16Bit image files. (and soon will remember it's extracted position with $c command) Really worth a look!

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-11-28
Hi Smooth,
yes - that was also my only solution to this issue.
But mostly I do with the Sigma 8 - so the PTEditor works fine.
Much more elegant for me- faster too.

But when you change your shootings there is nearly no need for correcting inside the image no more- Nadir / Zenith sometimes, but this could be done with PTGUI too.

ciao

mike
360de.de