panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-11-28

Many thanks for your comments.

"Finding the correct Hyperfocal focus setting" I do not have my camera in front of me but I usally set the camera M, white balance M, lens at f32 and infinity, camera min at f9(for indoor shots) and a shutter speed set for the appropriate lighting conditions or, have I missed the point?  

Terry
Nikon D300(Sept08), Sigma 8mm, agnos short
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-11-28

Sorry forgot to include this link http://www.terrynamvr.co.uk/59-irwell-tour/TourWeaver_59-irwell.html

which I reposted after the recent TW4 upgrade which loads much quicker

Terry
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2008-11-28
Quote: Originally posted by Terry Nam on November-28-2008

Many thanks for your comments.

"Finding the correct Hyperfocal focus setting" I do not have my camera in front of me but I usally set the camera M, white balance M, lens at f32 and infinity, camera min at f9(for indoor shots) and a shutter speed set for the appropriate lighting conditions or, have I missed the point?  

Yes, Terry you have missed the point. You need to research "Hyperfocal" there is much written about this on the web. You will also find Hyperfocal calculators online. Really you should only be using an aperture of f/5.6 to f/11.0 with f/8.0 the sweet spot for the Sigma 8mm Fisheye.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-11-28
Terry,
wow thats a setup !

Take s.th. between F5.6 to max. F11, as adviced F8 would be preferrable.
Then turn the ring:

set OO (the line at the mark, not the OO itself) to the right F-stop you use (i.e. F8 or s.th.), on the left F-Stop you can see how close your sharpness will go.

Thats all about it.
Mostly its about the same as setting the focus to 0.3m or 0.5m. There is a little play when turning, so this you might have to consider when doing very close closeups.
ciao

mike
360de.de
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-11-29

What a plonker! I cant believe I overlooked this basic fundamental step, particularly when I have explained it my son on how to understand the differences in f stops and the results in depth of field. Fortunately, my work has not been close-up work and I have got away with it I wont forget to set the infinity mark to 8 on the sigma. Once again thanks for your input.

Smooth I must set aside some time for tuition, I will be in touch but with a pending week away in the Canaries and Christmas round the corner, not sure exactly when.

Terry
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2008-11-29

No worries Terry, you contact me when ever you are right to go.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-12-01
Hi Smooth, in Hong Kong at the moment and dissapointed with the prices on Cameras/lens etc. Far cheaper in the UK which surpised me.

Example: in the UK i can get a Nikkon D300 body for approx 900 GBP but in HK the average even after haggling was about 1050 HK$ which is about 950 GBP. not enough saving really to justify buying abroad.

After HK I am travelling to Bali and then on to Aus. Are the prices any better in Aus?

Many thanks for your help

Apartment rentals Nerja

Villa rentals Nerja

Accommodation Nerja

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2008-12-01

It will all depend on what the exchange rate is at the time. Against the Aussie dollar (AUD) the GBP is very strong. More than twice and closer to 3 to the pound. You can also buy Tax (duty) free if you are a traveller.

www.d-d-photographics.com in Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne has the D300 listed at $2175.00 AUD today and that equals 934.00 pounds. You should be able to remove the 10% GST component from that also. So around $850 pounds I would say.

D D Photographics are grey model importers and discounters that I have used in the past.

Regards, Smooth  

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-12-02
Thanks Smooth, I am in Sydney late December so I will have a little look around then.

Thanks again for the advice.

Apartment rentals Nerja

Villa rentals Nerja

Accommodation Nerja

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-12-02

Hi Nerjaace, I must say I envy you and your travels. Hong Kong, Bali and then Aus. the Virtual Tour business must be good .
 Let me chime in with my ideas. If it's only a few pounds (under a 100) we are talking about in price difference then you are much better of buying local. Think about it, what if something is wrong with the camera. You will have to send it back to where ever. Buy it local from a Nikon dealer and if something goes wrong let them handle it. I know this from experience. I had some kind of problem (never found out what it was) with my D300 and they swapped it with no problems. I now buy local if I can find it. If I pay the extra money to buy local I don't feel bad about going in and picking their brain. I have picked up a lot of good info, well worth the extra money.
Just my 2 cents worth......

Nikon D300, D3s, Nikon 10.5 lens, RingT105N+Footplate+MrotatorTCPs, Giottos MT9261 Tripod, Manfrotto 410 Jr geared head.

If you know the "secret" then everyday is a good day!