panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2009-02-19

Need Advice on New Equipment

I work for a Realtor, and we do our own virtual tours. Currently we are using the Canon PowerShot G7 with the Nikon Fisheye Converter FC-E9, but the quality leaves something to be desired. However, we are able to get floor to ceiling 360 panos out of 3 shots (stitched using Panoweaver and adding a "floor" to cover the tripod). We also use the Agnos MrotatorB.

We are looking at purchasing the Canon XTi (as it seems to be comparable to the XSi, but can be picked up a bit cheaper). Also the Sigma 8mm F3.5 seems to be a lens that many have said is a good buy. Also, From what I've read the Agnos MrotatorUM would be a good choice? for this setup. However, it sounds like it would take 4 shots with this lens (and the XTi) to get the the full floor-to-ceiling 360, and Panoweaver only does up to 3.

So, my question is, could you still use Panoweaver, but just sacrifice some of the floor and ceiling, if so how much? Is there another stitching software out there that is comparable (we still use Tourweaver for putting together the actual tours)? Or is there another comparable lens & camera that would do the job?

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2009-02-19

The Canon XTi (400D) or XSi (450D) with Sigma f/3.5 8mm Fisheye will work fine with the Agnos MrotatorUM or UT. You could also upgrade to the Agnos MrotatorTCPshort if you want more strength.

Panoweaver 4.0, 5.0 or 6.0 (beta at this stage) can stitch the images no problem. The images will be "Drum" and you will shoot 4 images at 90 degrees. Adding a slight tilt up (say 4 or 5 degrees) will close the Zenith hole/star and will obviously open the Nadir hole (but you will cap/clone/heal/patch this region anyway).

So all in all you are on the right track. Spend up big and start shooting & stitching far superior panorama images.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2009-02-19

So would I be correct then in assuming that if you can get the entire ceiling in the shot by rotating up 4-5 degrees, that at 90 degrees you are missing 4-5 degrees from both the ceiling and floor, and that by rotating up you would then be losing about 8-10 from the floor, which could then be cloned out, or covered with a logo, etc.

I really appreciate your help. Also, do you know of any samples of panos taken with this camera/lens setup? We would love to see examples before making the purchase.