panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-05-11

Object Photography Examples

Here are some examples of object shot we have made at Photospherix

There are additional examples on our web site.

PhotoSpherix
360 Product Photography
http://www.photospherix.com
Object and Pano examples on the Site
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2005-05-12

Great work Photospherix,

What "Object Rig" are you using to get the 5 levels?

To date I have only ever used 3 levels and thought I would build something else. I would be interested in your shooting procedure.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-05-19

how much post production work did it take in PS to free the shots from any background?

Regards Markus

Nikon D70s, Sigma 8 mm, 4 to 12 shots, Agnos MrotatorTShort, PTGui, PS CS3, and lots of other software :-)
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-05-20
Markus,

The good news is that we have a batch script that pulls the white to the far end of the spectrum. Additionally we have worked on the camera profile of the d100 to push the end of the white curve to the VERY far end. SO a short answer is about 9 seconds per shot and about a minute and a half per full rotation. That is not bad. When we started we editied every image. Our R&D department worked for a year to work it out.

Now their are draw backs. The "small" rig will shot objects up to 2' x 2' x 2'x , but if it is a solid object, like a tackle box or a television, we can not auto correct the image.

A case in point is a tackle box we are working on right now will have to have the shadows removed from the image. This takes about 3 to 5 minutes per image. Not to bad, but in this one shot there are 1700 images. It has a large amount of animation. To make things worse, the tackle box is a demo shoot.

PhotoSpherix
360 Product Photography
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-05-13
Well, I started with a transmission from a rotation table on a lathe, I added alot of 2" aluminum from an old set of bleachers that I had at the shop. I then had a couple of pieces milled to extremely tight specs and I built my first rig. It had full rotation from 0 to 180 on the horizion. I didn't like it so we built another rig same idea, bigger table for the product. The small rig works with 24"x24"24" by about 80 pounds.

The machine shop is working on our new rig (additional) that will work up to 20' x20'X 10' and the rotator will hold up to 2 ton.

With the gearing on the horizon being every 5 degrees.

PhotoSpherix
360 Product Photography
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-06-09
Hi photospherix. What sort of lighting do you use? we have everything set up but are stuggling with appropriate lighting. We would be greatful of any advice. thanks.
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-06-11

When we did our cell phone object.. we used incondescent lights - one on the left, one on right and one over top.  I suspect you could double the light positions by light filling from the underside of the object.  Your digital camera can handle very low light.  3 100watt lamps  in a light box 1m x 1m x 1m  or 3' x 3' x 3' photo box with a solid color background drape should be sufficient. The drape should be smoothed out so there are no shadows. If your object is black... then use a white drop.  Use a high contrast color drop in relationship to the object colors.  Then in Photoshop you can do color replacement to remove the drop color.  Like blue to white.

If you wanted to get real technical try light balancing and color temperature fixing the bulbs.  Be sure to adjust the camera's white balance according to the light source.

Lighting is a whole different science that does take some study.  If you are unsure of the lighting mix suggest using a 18% gray card and tell your camera to learn what 'White' is.  I know that the Nikon 990 and the Canon 20d has a camera learn what 'White is'  mode.

Dave

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-06-13
Dave is right on the money. It gets real tricky when you move the position of the camera, but the more "small" lights that you use gets you closer to what you are looking for. With the Smaller rig, we are using 10 X 40 watt bulbs moving with the camera and 10 X 60 bulbs lighting the backdrop from the rear. This makes one large softbox for the rear of the object and controlable lighting for the lighting of the object.

With the larger objects we have moved to both florescent "uck" with color balance and/or strobes.

If you are using different light mixes, which you should not, you will have to use a grey card.

PhotoSpherix - Object VR and Panoramic QTVR builders in the Midwest.
www.photospherix.com
PhotoSpherix
360 Product Photography