panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2008-01-28

Australia Day 2008 Elevated Snake Pit

January 26th is Australia Day and this year I thought I would put an effort in and catch a piece of in the way of a panorama.

This caught my eye:

The Snake Pit

Click image to view.

On display was 4 of the worlds most deadly snakes (I can remember the Red Belly Black Snake, Brown Snake and Tiger Snake) along with other Australian native reptiles.

The panorama shows many different facial expressions and gives a general feel for the day. Shot in late afternoon (4.30 PM) in nice clear weather as January is the middle of summer here in Australia.

The panorama was shot on a Velbon monopod elevated to waist hight using a Canon 5D and Sigma f/3.5 8mm Fisheye Lens (4 Shots) clamped with a Agnos RingT lens grip.

I hope you like it.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2008-01-29

Thanks to Carruss pointing out the broken link I have now adjusted it.

Click to view should yield a better panorama experience now! Why it took 20+ viewers before it was pointed out has me asking why I bother to help on this forum if people don't show common courtesy in return.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-01-29

It would have been really cool if you had shot from inside the pit.

Nikon D300, D3s, Nikon 10.5 lens, RingT105N+Footplate+MrotatorTCPs, Giottos MT9261 Tripod, Manfrotto 410 Jr geared head.

If you know the "secret" then everyday is a good day!
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-01-30

Very good Panorama, really captures the moment.

Funny how just one person is more concerned with what you are doing rather than watching the display!

Carruss. 

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-01-30

Maybe a horizontal pole shot...  It would put you in the center of the pit.

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2008-01-30

Thanks for the response guys.

A little more about the scene. None of the snakes or reptiles in the pit on display at the time of the shoot were dangerous (well at least not life threatening). In the bags on the ground were the dangerous buggers.

Theses guys did come out not too long after I shot this panorama and when they did were kept in the very centre of the pit and were handled by only one of the guys from National Parks & Wildlife while he instructed and gave information via a wired headset. He went on the say that in reality these snakes are not aggressive attackers and the only time they are known to bite humans is when they are tormented or accidentally trod upon etc.

Also of note is that these snakes are milked before a public presentation to reduce the likelihood of a life threatening bite and that the venom is used as part of the anti-venom program.

As for shooting the panorama, it was not my intention to get a staged shot. I was just wandering around shooting scenes as I spotted them. I'm sure a stage shot would be very good and maybe someday I will set one up. (when one of the presenters looked at me funny I did think about asking him to hold the snake up to the lens) But at the same time I had a million things going through my mind, family in tow and just wanted to capture a scene with a lot of people in it as these are far more challenging shots and capture real life. People move a lot and even the 3 presenters in the pit where walking around in circles.

As I was not using a panorama head as such I had to just have a guess at where I thought 90 degrees was and deal with the Roll, Yaw and Pitch issues in processing.

Amazingly Panoweaver 5 did a very good job stitching the images. The issue though was Panoweaver doesn't support alpha channels and masks. So I did a quick stitch with Panoweaver and looked at all the things I would have to deal with and then get on with correcting them.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-01-31

Still give me the shivers thinking about wiggly squirmy things.  Arrrggg

Thanks for the show and tell.  I will think about it as a "desensitizing" process.  The more you see them.. the more comfortable you become.

Arrrggg  not me !!!!!

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com