Thanks for the comments. The mirror ball is really easy to create in Photoshop. I will explain using keyboard strokes as I do it that way and only takes a few seconds. I avoid using the mouse.
1. open the pano in photoshop
2. CTRL J (to copy image)
3. press M (to select the rectangular marquee tool)
4. drag the 'marching ants' from top of image down to where the tripod legs appear. Do not allow any part of the tripod within the selection.
5. CTRL T
6. drag the top edge of the transform box right down to the bottom of the image to cover the tripod.
7. the next steps are down to what you prefer, ie flatten the image or save as layers etc, but whatever you do, the two layers need to be combined.
My normal workflow is to create the mirror ball last and before I resize and convert to JPEG. I dont flatten the TIFF with the mirror ball layer as it leaves me options if required and it only takes a few seconds to create anyway.
Hope you understand my instructions.
A while back someone in this forum discribed this procedure and suggested a website ... I think it was pixelator.