panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-03-11

a motorized panohead...

For making QTVR object, kaidan proposes motorized turntables (http://www.kaidan.com/products/obj-prods.html)

But I have only seen a motorized panohead on the following link. But the price (6900$) is... a little bit to high for me :)

http://www.channel360.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=C3IIG&Product_Code=pixorb&Category_Code=spher

I think such an accessory could be usefull in some cases : for instance, if you want to shoot the interior of a car, once you have installed the tripod, you can exit the car and then control the rotation of the camera. If you are using for instance a Canon 20D (which can be entirely computer controlled) , you can stay outside, take and view the pictures. And finish all the proscess without having to reopen the door of the car...

If your panohead is motorized and computer controlled, you only have to press one key to take all the pictures you need. The precision and regulatity are quiet perfect, no risk to move the tripod... Very comfortable. Especially with PW4.0 which allows to take 6 or 4 vertical pics for one pano, with a very high quality.

Such a system should not be very expensive, it's not very difficult to control a motor with a computer... especially if you have to control only one axe.

If anybody has an idea...?

Phil

Phil, French Guiana
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-03-11
If I remember correctly there was a motorized pano maker which was a camera and built in head. it would spin, take pictures and stitch them. and then can later be saved as QTVR.

That was back in 1996 or 1997. When we had to stitch 20 to 30 pictures. d00d.

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-03-11
And what the hell is that green thing?

a pantie??? lol.
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2005-03-11
Quote: Originally posted by spinem on March-11-2005
And what the hell is that green thing?

a pantie??? lol.

ROFL,

That is a chroma key cover. (They come in different colours)

This is a motorised turntable for Object Modelling not a for Panorama's!

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2005-03-11

Phil,

Visit www.agnos.com they have a motorised system

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-03-12

Harbortronics have similar if you want to spend US$1000 which would certainly do the job http://www.harbortronics.com/snap360.asp#more I contemplated making my own but only got as far as destroying a perfectly good clockwork egg timer!

Simon

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-03-12

simon,

the link to harbor is an excellent resource to have if you eventually have enough demand that required you to use a system like this.

i dont think the automated rotator is that really necessary for everyday use, specially with the price.

if it was cheaper, im sure many more will buy it.

if ur doing cars, roll down the windows and have one person on each side of the car.

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-03-12
I dont get it... why would anyone one need a motorized rotator to do cars?

I had my slr, manfrotto head, tripod and me on the back seat of my two doors hatchback... and you saw the result. I believe its even better than what mercedes have on their website.

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-03-12

spinem , some people dont want to be getting in and out of the car and feel the automated rotator is good.

i think one person can do it with care. 2 people better. one on each side of the car.

i think ur benz pano is good but not better than what mercedez has. theirs was done in a studio with controlled lighting that balanced it beatufil. there are no bright areas due to the sun, and no seams.

surely if u had a studio with the right balance lighitng u can do the same.

p.s. does anyone know if they use umbrella flash for car tours or if they just use fixed lighting at a desired level?

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-03-14
fixed lighting
If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.