panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2002-11-20

HDTV 16:9 digital computer monitors

An Australian friend of ours told me the other day that HDTV is very popular there in the AU. Well it is too in the US. Some of the new TV's are even being built with internal DVD players and Sony"Memory Sticks" sockets. I won't even go into plasma screens. HDTV's are being used as monitors.

HDTV uses an image ratio of 16:9 aspect ratio viewing area. Meaning that the display is significantly wider than high.

With the convergence of digital TV and computerized panoramas, maybe we should be leaning towards using a wider view than a typical 400w x 300h applet size, if the panoramas are to be displayed on a 16:9 ratio digital TV/monitor.

Adjusting your current applet view port

300h x 400w

to HDTV might mean changing to

300h x 628w ?  for a tight screen fit

To see what the wide view looks like visit this demo page. The 'Splash' or 'Wait' was the orginal viewer size.

http://360texas.com/feature/afeature1.htm

Interesting thought today

Dave

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2002-12-11

You have to remember too, though....

How frequently are widescreen HDTV's being used as computer monitors?  It seems to me that the 16:9 format is just beginning to make a foray into the PC world. 

As regards anyone who uses a set-top box for surfing the web on an HDTV, likely, the set-top box will either not support Java, or not have nearly enough RAM to run a large applet.  So while you may want to keep this as a option, I wouldn't recommend it simply to accomodate those with widescreen TV's...

-Jeremy

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2002-12-11

Hmmm... well, maybe or maybe not...

Last December 8, 2002 Sundays newspaper advertisement

"Best Buy" displayed a Sony 17.1" LCD Flat Panel Wide Screen Personal Entertainment Display (Sony SDM-722W).  connects directly to game consoles, Video players, digital cameras, camcorders, PC's and more. (Includes a remote).  16:9 format.

While this is the first computer 16:9 monitor I have seen advertised, any of the HDTV digital (including plasma) monitors can be used on computers.

Could this be the future of digital monitors??  Maybe the software industry should take this event into account and begin thinking about what could be possible.

Just a thought.

Dave

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2002-12-12

What size did you output your images at dave?

I noticed a lot of "blurring" at the edges of the viewer, I encounterd this about a year ago when I was experimenting with viewer size, I found the larger the output the less the blur, but this then raises compression quality issues.

I can see some great opprtunity for display suites with HDTV

My Link
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2002-12-13

Hello,

The visual distortion (fuzzy) is really a viewer issue.  Typically our single images are 5mb each.  Stitched images are 15 - 20mb to start with, and are reduced down to about 5mb then converted to .jpg baseline compression method.. to about 90 to 100kb.  Physical dimensions are 2:1  with an average height of around 800 pixels.

Some of our older (1998) images are abit different format.

Hope that helps.

Dave

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com