panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-03-19

Maual stitching work flow?

Hi all

Just wondered if anyone could recommend a logical procedure when adjusting 3 fisheyes. 

For instance, is it recommended to start with a certain hemisphere/seam? 

Is there a suggested priority in tweeking the FOV, Yaw, Pitch or Roll?

Thanks in advance

Steiner

Condottiero - Freelance Multimedia Design
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2005-03-19

Steiner,

There really shouldn't be a reason to use manual mode if you have the correct nodal point and everything is perfectly level. This feature (I believe) is being removed from the next version.

I would be asking the question as to why you need to do manual adjustments?

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-03-19

Smooth

That's a fair point as I thought the Mrotator head when used with the 8700 was supposed to produce near perfect resilts.  However, I almost always seem to need to carry out manual adjusts and if they take that feature out I'll be dead in the water.

As far as I know I am doing what's required of this system.  I level out the tripod, place the head on it and level that out.  I then take 3 shots but only level out shot 1 as it's supposedly not required to level out the other 2 (but perhaps I should try that)?

I do zoom in slightly in order to create a larger fisheye image - could that be a factor?

I suppose one other possibility is that the mrotatorB head could be faulty?

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2005-03-19

Steiner,

I have helped others out who claim that they cannot get a good stitch with the Mrotator and everytime to date we have found the problem. (Never as yet has it been the Mrotator!) That's not to say there won't be a first.

Known issues are as follows:

• Tripod center pole elevated. The center pole should always stay flat to the bottom. They flex and move in rotation.
  • Flexing tripod. Tripod not of high enough quality. Bigger camera's sitting way back on a support bracket will be more prone to this. 
  • Incorrect fitment of the FC-E8 or FC-E9 in the Mrotator. Should be pushed home hard while tightening.
  • Failure to level tripod and then level Mrotator (Second) and ONLY for position 1 (Do not re-level for shots 2 or 3 "ever")
  • Camera set perfectly level when connected to the FC-E8/9 before tightening the fisheye lens.

I have a couple of Mrotators and I get perfect stitching with both if I set up correctly.

Only the slightest movement (slop) can be detected within the Mrotator. This could (I believe) be overcome in two ways. 1) Added grease to shaft to fill minute gaps 2) Redesign the shaft to body using high quality bearings. (Not likely!)

Zooming "a la Phoenix style" does in my testing cause stitching error's everytime! Not major, but they are very noticeable. (Albeit fixable in Photoshop) This method is not recommended by Agnos. Others doing this method (Successfully) are using software that allows manual stitching points.

The "automatic" stitching with Panoweaver 4.0 seems to make better control points and thus small nodal errors are compensated for in my testing (when compared with 3.01 Pro)

I need to see a set of images that cause you problems to help further.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-03-19

Smooth

Hope your not right about the manual adjustsment being removed, no matter how good the automatic stitching is programs still make mastakes, one problem with the current automatic stitching i get, is it can sometimes see a double window as a single seeing the two pains as one, and if there is going to be no way of manually correcting this, i dont think ill be upgradeing

regards

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2005-03-19

I cannot say for sure as the final release has not happened. Manual control points (flags) might be the answer over the 3.01 Pro buttons in manual mode?

Until such time it is all just pure speculation!

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-03-19

Hi Smooth

Thanks for the offer, I'm uploading the fisheyes now - I'll send you a link when they're there.  Re. the other points:

• Tripod center pole elevated. The center pole should always stay flat to the bottom. They flex and move in rotation. 
  • - nope, neva do that.  However the legs were all raised one section.
  • Flexing tripod. Tripod not of high enough quality. Bigger camera's sitting way back on a support bracket will be more prone to this. 
  • It's a Velbon Sherpa 250N.  I think this is similar to yours?
  • Incorrect fitment of the FC-E8 or FC-E9 in the Mrotator. Should be pushed home hard while tightening.
  • Done
  • Failure to level tripod and then level Mrotator (Second) and ONLY for position 1 (Do not re-level for shots 2 or 3 "ever")
  • Yep - as mentioned.
  • Camera set perfectly level when connected to the FC-E8/9 before tightening the fisheye lens.
  • Possible problem here.  I noticed a 1 - 2 mm gap between the base of the camera and the cork base.  This seems to have occured when I'd tightened the jaws of the MrotatorB.  This may well have been the cause I suppose.

Anyway, after a good deal of PS'ing, I've posted the finished pano to my website (Milton Keynes gallery)

Cheers

• Condottiero - Freelance Multimedia Design
    Alternate Text
    Send Msg:
    2005-03-19

P.S. I notice that the jaws of the Mrotator never touch even when tightened.  Is this normal?

Alternate Text
    Forum Moderator
    Send Msg:
    2005-03-20

Hey Steiner,

Dude! you have problems....

I just downloaded and stitched your images and you have something major wrong with your set up. (You could have made them jpegs for the test   20MB worth of .tiffs was a bit much!) Can you please send me photographs (.jpgs this time 640 x 480 at 50% will be fine) of your Mrotator and camera all set up form all angles so I can see where the problems is.

I can tell you 100% you do not have this set up correctly no way - no how!

The good news is that we should be able to sort it out.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
    Forum Moderator
    Send Msg:
    2005-03-20
    Quote: Originally posted by steiner on March-19-2005

P.S. I notice that the jaws of the Mrotator never touch even when tightened.  Is this normal?

Yes, this is normal! Do NOT try and close the gap you will crush your lens.

Thinking about this some more I think you might have your FC-E9 in the Mrotator "Backwards" I await your photo's.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
    Send Msg:
    2005-03-20

Hi Smooth

Sorry about the file size guy, I thought you'd need the originals (I'll remember if there's a next time).  Backwards?!   Geez I REALLY hope that's not the case!

I'll send you the pics of my set up now.

Thanks

Steiner