panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2002-11-22

BEWARE!

I recently spent 3 nerve-wracking hours trying to figure out why I could no longer view virtual tours on my desktop machine.  Previously, I had no problem.  But all of a sudden, when I'd click a virtual tour link, the monitor would just stare back at me with no response.  This was particularly frustrating in that I was trying to finish a tour for a client and now I couldn't view the pano scenes. 

I tried everything I could think of, from scrutinizing the code to uninstalling and re-installing the software.  Finally, I noticed a slight flicker on the monitor when I clicked a tour link.  I clicked the link again and the monitor responded with another brief flicker.  Then it hit me. 

The evening before, I had installed a "pop-up killer" on this computer.  And the tours I was trying to finish were coded to appear in "pop-up" windows.  Alas, the new "pop-up" killer was doing its job just fine.  Once I disabled it, I was able to resume viewing the tours. 

The moral of this story is, of course, BEWARE THE POP-UP KILLER!  If you get complaints that your tours can't be viewed, consider the following:

1) Did you code the tours as "pop-ups"?

2) Is a pop-up killer running on the offending computer.

If the answer to both of these questions is YES, disable the pop-up killer.

callgary
E-mail Gary
Every moment is a learning experience. What have I learned today? What have I taught today?
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2002-11-26

Hello,

Pop-Up Killers work by the "Tilte Bar" and close the windows that have some wording in the "Title bar" that is/or has been included into it's (the pop-up killers) kill list.

E.g: Say the Title bar has "index.html" or "Buy your cheap milk creates here" or whatever and this is listed in the commands of your Pop-Up Killer it will close the window.

Pop-Up killers DO NOT just randomly close every pop-up window. Only those with a line of text in the title bar it has been told to kill.

I hope this helps and clears things up!

Smooth  

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2002-11-26

Thanks Smooth!  You learn something every day.

So, if I understand you correctly, if I name the virtual tour file "gobeltygook.htm" instead of "index.htm", then the pop-up killer won't notice it.  Is that right?  If so, that's truly a valuable piece of info you just passed on! 

Thanks again!

callgary

callgary
E-mail Gary
Every moment is a learning experience. What have I learned today? What have I taught today?
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2002-11-26

Hi Callgary,

Yes, that is correct!

Unless of course you were to ad "gobeltygook.htm" to the list of "titles" that you would like your Pop-Up Killer to kill.

To change the title of your page, this is done between the <title></title> tags in the .HTML/.HTM

When you do the first install of a Pop-Up Killer program it comes with a "pre-loaded" list of things to kill. (Trying to pre-empt what are nasties)

Hope this helps, Smooth