panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-04-28

publishing panoramas on the web - help

Hi all

I'm having a bit of trouble getting my head around what to do for the following scenario. Any help would be much appreciated. I have done a search in this forum but I can't see anything.

I want to supply PW panos (not TW virtual tours, just single 360x180 panoramas) to a 3rd party website, lets say they list houses for sale or rent. They do not currently offer VT's but are interested and have asked me some questions about implementing this in their listings on the site.

Firstly they have asked me to email them a couple of examples of panos that I have done for them to look at. I'm having trouble with my website at the moment so I don't want to give them my address just yet. I imagine if I zip up the published files and the Scene folder and email that to them, all they need to do is extract the zip file to a folder on their computer and then double click on the HTML document? That right? I have tested this out emailing the zip to myself and it works. Just want to be sure I'm not doing anything silly.

Secondly, I have told them that a sub 150k pano is fine for viewing on the web and so people with non-broadband connections can also easily view a tour. But what I don't really understand as yet is, when someone wants to view a VT over the web, of course the Scene JPEG has to be downloaded (lets say it's 150k), but do the other files also get downloaded (the JAR file, Skin_xxxx.zip etc). If so then for a 150k pano the person viewing it has to download 600k or so. Please tell me that this is not the case

In a perfect world this company I am talking to will go for this and I would host all the tours. Then for each advert for a house for sale/rent on their site there will be a link ("Click here for tour of kitchen" etc. The pano would then be downloaded via my server to their screen. I'm sure this is done all the time, but is it rocket science? Any info regarding good ways to do this will be most welcome.

Right thats enough I think, thanks for reading.
Glenn
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-05-02

Hey VT360 (or anyone else)

My problem or displaying my panos on the web has been resolved (uppercase "S" in the scene folder name. Doh.

In an earlier post you kindly said "when you have accomplished all the above, let me know and ill give you the code so that the window opens to the perfect size you want."

Well, I wonder if you could let me have that code, it would be really usefull now, thanks.

Glenn

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2005-05-02

Glenn,

You could try the program I use for sized windows called Wise Pop-Up it now in it's latest version produce DHTML windows that Pop-Up blockers can't block and it works with IE and Firefox.

Visit www.smooth360.com/recommended.html for my affiliate link to this great software and view a working example.

Or you can spend a lot of time hand coding!

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-05-02
Understood, thanks.
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2005-05-03

I hope you like it as much as me. It's a great little program.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-04-28
Have a look at PT viewer/sticher. This is Easypanos other viewer/tour maker. It allows you to add hotspots to panos/photos/urls and has a small 12kb jar file. Each pano gets downloaded by request and the skin including controls need only be 10-12kb large. You'll be able to open the pano directly in the clients page. Oh yes... PT viewer/sticher is quite cheap at around $50.
If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-04-28

Thanks Phoenix. I don't think that for the scenario I have outlined above I will be needing hotspots, links etc. Probably just one or two links per advert, such as "Click here to see the kitchen", "Click here to see the pool area". At which point I would like new browser window to open (at the right size preferably) and the appropriate 360x180 pano to play.

Is it possible to do this just using the files output by PW 4.0 or do I need to use PTviewer (or Tourweaver)? Bearing in mind that I want to minimise what is downloaded to the computer of the person viewing the panorama.

Thanks
Glenn

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-04-28

1.you need the html file that pw gives you. ex.  pano_kitchen.html

on this html file, edit and put a link to pano_pool.html

2. you need the html file that pw gives you. ex.  pano_pool.html

on this html file, edit and put a link to pano_kitchen.html

3.upload ptviewer.jar

4. upload the pano images (kitchen.jpg and pool.jpg)

upload all of the above in the same directory  www.yoursite.com/directory/

then you can view the pano at www.yoursite.com/directory/pano_kitchen.html

and view www.yoursite.com/directory/pano_pool.html

-----

now you can send the links to your clients to see.

when you have accomplished all the above,

let me know and ill give you the code so that the window

opens to the perfect size you want.

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-04-28

Mr VT360

Top information, should do exactly what I need. I do have one slight issue though. Every panorama I publish results in a jpeg file in the "Scene" directory called "pano". I don't see a way in PW to change the name of the output "Scene" jpeg. So I am stuck on your step 4 "4. upload the pano images (kitchen.jpg and pool.jpg)", because I may have produced 20 panos, but every one's jpeg is called "pano"! If I manually change the name to something else, then of course the panorama no longer plays in the HTML doc.

Can you advise please???

Thanks
Glenn

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-04-28

rename the pano.jpeg needs to  kitchen.jpeg 

the pano_kitchen.html  must be edited by hand and change pano.jpeg to kitchen.jpeg

you can open yout html file in notepad then look for where it says "pano.jpeg" and change  to "kitchen.jpeg"

---------------------

upload kitchen.jpeg

upload pano_kitchen.html

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-04-28

There is no reference to pano.jpeg / pano.jpg in any HTML file generated by PW4.0. Thats why I am so perplexed??? I think the reference to pano.jpeg must be embeded in the "config" file which resides in the Skin zip file. I am probably wrong, BUT if I am right can I edit this? If so how?

Any ideas?

Thanks for your prompt reply VT.
Glenn