panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-07-01

Suggested file sizes?

Hi all

This probably has been asked but I've not been able to locate all the info so I have to ask now:

What is the recommended jpeg pano file size for the following scenarios?

1. Modem connection

2. ISDN Connection

3. ADSL/Lan Connection

I believe modem needs to be between 100 and 200 k?

Thanks

Steiner

Condottiero - Freelance Multimedia Design
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-07-01

At one time we did use the following to achieve about a 20 second down load time:

24.4 to 56k Dial up modem - 80 - 100k

ISDN & aDSL 384 and up  1 to 1.5mb

In the World Wide Panorama (University of California Server)  events we have been using 700kb for small imaging - and 2 to 2.5mb for broadband.  We essentially are providing both flavors on the website.. then letting the visitor choose which one to look at.

http://www.worldwidepanorama.com

Dave

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-07-01

For panos displayed at 500x375 I stitch at 2000x1000 and save with 80-90 percent compression to achieve a files size between 400kb and 500kb.

I have stopped displaying for dial up connections. The quality is just not good enough  and if the visitor really wants to see the panos and they are on a dial up then they will wait.

You have to draw the line somewhere.

I guess you could make all 3 sizes, dial up, boradband, and full screen and let them choose but that seems like too much work unless you are getting payed to make all three.

500kb or less will display within 10 seconds  on a DSL or cable connection.

Gen. Lee

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-07-01

Yes, I have similar reservations about low res images.  Most of my panos end up being 500 - 600K and reducing them to 150 makes them loose any sort of zoom value.  Yes, they load quickly but there's little to interest the viewer - as  far as I'm concerned.

I will probably do the same - offer 2 choices and let the visitor decide for themselves.

Thanks

Steiner

Condottiero - Freelance Multimedia Design
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-07-02

I disagree that "if the visitor really wants to see the panos and they are on a dial up then they will wait". I'll tell you why. I live in a backwater of France where we don't yet have access to ADSL (don't bother asking France Telecom when!!).

Now I am quite into VT's, the looking at and producing of. But as often as not, when a question is posted on this forum like "please see this pano", or "new pano, critique please", I wait and wait for them to download, but event though I really really really would like to see them I still quite often give up. Not always I must add.

So I think in reality, you will exclude people with dial up access from viewing a VT or pano, and so they are lost to the client, if the file sizes are aimed at ADSL. How important this section of society is will depend on what is being marketed to a big extent I would imagine.

Glenn

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-07-02

I knew as soon as I said forget the dial ups there would be a post about that. LOL

We have an international audience here on the fourm so not all markets are created equal. I googled "internet usage" and found this link

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5750968/

This article was written about 1 year ago (Aug 2004). It sais that about 63 million users have broadband connections which accounts for 51 percent of U.S. residential users. Now this is only "residential". It does not include work place connections. This is up from 38 percent a year earlier.

QUOTE: "The number of residential broadband connections underestimates actual broadband usage because the figures do not include office connections, which many users rely on for personal Internet surfing, Leichtman noted."

This leaves about half of residential users who still have dial up. But which half do I target ?

I can't confirm this but I believe those who do not have broadband will spend a significant amount of time browsing at work or at a friends house who has broadband. It is not just the panoramic market but the whole internet that is going towards broadband. Web pages are more graphical and containg all kinds of bandwidth eating goodies. If you are on dial up now it is becasue you can't get broadband where you live. Granted a few will have dial up as a cost thing like getting it free or something. But they are only a very small part of the market.

We aint in Kansas any more Dorethy. Well except for you Cuetoyou. LOL just kidding man.

In contrast Japan has 91 percent of its users on broadband. The US apparently is lagging behind other contries in broadband usage.

Back to panoramic images. Why do people use them. In my opinion the single most largest consumer use is for "Travel" with real estate purcahse being second. That means they are looking for a place to go on vacation or looking for real estate to purchase.

Now consider that you will be spending several thousand dollars on a vacation or even millions on real estate. These people are in a higher income bracket and are very likly to have a broadband connection or at least access to one. About 2 years ago I stopped getting complaints from my clients about images taking too long to load. I have many clients who I have built vacation rental web sites for and of course done the virtual tours as well. These sites are booked solid for the season (6 months) ALL of these bookings are a result of the web site and tours. Not a single booking has been made (at least with my clients) without the users first seeing the virtual tour. I used to get complaints every month or so about a user who could not load the panos. Upon investigation it always turned out to be a dial up connection. I have not had a single complaint about this in the past 2  years. This tells me dial up is not an issue anymore. Back then I was using file sizes around 250kb or less

What I mean by "they will wait" is the fact that it is doubtful a person is going to go on vacation without first doing some internet research. Heck we aren't even talking about how many users "book online". I think this number is very high like 90 percent of something. If they are booking online they are taking the tours.

In my market and with the kind of tours I do it is very unlikley I will have any problems with dial up. This is due to the prouduct I am photographing. For example a person who can afford a 3 million dollar house is going to have a broadband connection. Likewise a person who can afford a $500 a day rental home will have broadband as well.

There are many uses for pano's and what market you target depends on this. If you live where dial up is the most used kind of connection then you will have to deliver for that.

Gen. Lee

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-07-02

You might think of this topic like this.  As broadband usage gets more affordable and expands.... dialup is also expanding further out to where there was no dial up before.  Like ripples in a pond.

I think you might find a convergence of broadband mix now with on demand movies and other multimedia events.  This has already started with cable and a mix of Hollywood movies being seen along with cable broadband.  One of the largest companies SBC is working towards offering "On demand" Hollywood movies  along with aDSL.  Microsoft and SBC agreed to work together to make MS  Mulitmedia Hollywood films available on telephone lines.

MS now offers a Multimedia Operating System (read wireless Television) for home computers and other wireless televisions and home computers in the home.

I could go on.. but you probably already know this information.  The time will come when broadband will be offered at the same price as dialup.  

Computer telephone modems will be obsolete, except for those further out on the fringe areas.  I read few months ago that folks out in the Louisana Delta area just got telephone service.  Surprised ?

Now what to do about Panoramas ?  I suspect there will ALWays be folks out on the rural fringe ripple areas.  Why leave them out of the experience?  For now I for one, should continue to offer both dial up friendly and higher quality broadband content.

Just a thought on the matter.

Dave 

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com