panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-01-01

Bug reports

I have experienced bugs of varying degrees of severity that I need to report. I am using Panoweaver Pro on Mac OS X 10.2.2.

The most serious bug that I have experience is in the conversion of imported panoramic images from cubic to spherical projection. Here is a description: import hemis, stitch a cubic pano. Export and it looks fine. Save panoramic (1:6) image for retouching in photoshop. Import image back into panoweaver. Export cubic, all still looks fine. Convert to spherical and UH OH!! You can now see dotted lines where the bottom edges of the cube were. You can see them also in an exported spherical panorama. I noticed that the size of the spherical projection is different from what it would have stitched using the same CD setting for spherical that I used in cubic (Stitching CD quality in cubic gives 800x4800, while in spherical it gives 3000x1500. Reimported cubic image is still 800x4800 in cubic, but when converted to spherical it is 3200x1600.) I don't know if this is at the root of the problem, but it is interesting. BTW, for testing purposes, I didn't do any alteration in photoshop. In fact, I did one trial where I exported the 1:6 image from Panoweaver, then immediately re-imported it. As usual, it looked fine in cubic, but was messed up when converted to spherical.

It is important that users be able to perform this conversion, since retouching is really only reasonably done in the 1:6 projection. If we want to be able to publish the retouched panoramas using PTViewer spherical fomat, this conversion is a necessity.

Lesser "bugs".

The preview function NEVER works correctly for me. The panorama is exported, but it doesn't automatically preview in the browser. I have to open the preview manually. At least I assume it is supposed to open automatically.

When you save the pano image, the save happens in an unexpected manner. You click on "create a new folder", give it a name, then click save, but you do not in fact get a panorama in a folder of that name. You get the panorama saved with the given name in the next folder level up. You have to put "/panoname" after the data in the save dialog to get it to save the pano in a folder.

The application more often than not will hang up when you try to quit. Then you have to force quit, losing preferences you have set.

After running Panoweaver for a while, my whole system gets slowed down. The VM memory really seems excessive: it says the VM has over 200MB of memory. Judging from the amount indicated as free, usually only about half of this is used. I don't know if this is the culprit. It seems that the hard drive is grinding away in some sort of virtual memory hell. Sometimes I have to completely reboot to get back to normal.

Also, when I export panos as PTViewer, it is not including the applet itself. I thought it was at one time, but it is not doing so now. Hmmm. If I deleted the PTViewer folder in the Output folder, is it supposed to recreate the applet the next time a pano is output in that format.

I really think PanoWeaver is a great app. Thanks Seaman!

John

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-01-01

Ok.. I also tried to duplicate your results.  I followed your description sequence to see if I could get the same results... only on a PC

Dell P4 2.5ghz 1gig Ram 

Running software at time: MS IM Chat, AOL Chat and MS Office Outlook and background hooks for Mcfee, winzip, netscape7 on launch bar.

I opened PW3 with 3 images 2048 x 1536 res

All your reported final stitched image sizes were the same as yours for sphere, cube and back to sphere.

stitched the 3 and saved as .bmp - ok VM 172,936k and 92,715k

converted it to cube save cube as .bmp - ok VM 172,936k and 78,419

converted cube back to sphere > no doted stitch areas - ok

Went to preview - PW3 hung - no err msgs - 

Last VM was recorded at 192,940k and 109,215k, 

forced close after 2.05 min no activity. 

Restarted PW3.0 (no reboot) VM returned to 10,076k and 5,353k

Now where do we go.  Seems after several conversions PW3.0 hangs.  Does this mean its exhausted the virtual memory?? or is it NOT releasing memory between conversions?

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-01-01

Trial test #2 - Results:  I could not repeat the errors mentioned above

Same machine specifications and open programs

Sequence:

Total VM - Free VM  and MF - Mismatch Factor

PW3pro no images loaded TVM 10076k FVM 5353k

Load 3 images 171,632  141,666

Autostitched Sphere MF.2773  173,008  123,606 saved sphere to .bmp

Convert to Cube - MF .2773 173,008 126,438 saved cube as .bmp

Import Cube (replaces prior cube) 188,012  112,004

Convert Cube to Sphere  208,016  142,364

Preview - OK  no err

Sphere displayed without stitch errors

Closed PW3.0 - normal

Sorry I could not reproduce the previous errors.

Dave

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-01-01
**UPDATED**

I wanted to start over with a fresh copy of PanoWeaver just in case and found that version 3.01 for the Mac had been posted. The app is now 1.1MB vs. 1.9MB before (must have been some serious code optimization there!) The virtual machine appears to be much less RAM hungry than before. It only occasionally exceeded 100MB and the VM free memory was much more reasonable than before. When I publish as PTViewer, the applet is generated properly now. That is the good news.

On the other hand, the major problem of stitching lines appearing if you save a cubic image, reimport and convert to spherical still is present. Judging from the responses above, this may be a problem only in the mac version?? The dialog boxes still behave in a non-standard way when publishing panos. The app still hangs when I quit. Preview still doesn't work.

Additional requests: how about a high resolution icon OS X style for the application (128 x 128) so that it looks pretty? As is, it looks like an OS 9 app. Maybe a magnification effect when looking at seams for manual stitching too.

Anxiously awaiting version 3.02
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-01-01

Yes.. even with the PC version.. the manual stiching is a nice idea.. 3 very narrow vertical seam windows... and cant see detail at pixel level  or down to a 5 x 5 pixel window level for more accurate alignment.

Just a few thoughts this morning

Dave

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com