panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2005-07-22
Quote: Originally posted by cuetoyou on July-21-2005

Smooth: but does AE lock achieve anything with the camera in manual mode? I would have thought that in manual mode with ISO, apertutre and shutter speed set there aint much else to lock? Please set me straight.

Glenn

Glenn,

It does on Nikon Coolpix models. I'm guessing it would on the D70 or D70s but I own Canon DSLR gear so I cannot say for sure.

and yes, I aways shoot in manual mode on all my cameras.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-07-22
Hi Smooth,
So what you meant the problem lies with the setup and not the software? Because what i do quiet understand is if all images are shot at the correct nodal point, then why the software is unable to stitch them?

ys
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-07-22

If you have found the correct nodal point, while viewing your panorama in a viewer, you should be able to tilt down to see the tripod head.  It should be a perfect circle.  Scroll down and find the screen capture showing 3 tripod heads.  The center one marked 'YES' is a perfect circle when you are on the exact nodal point.

http://www.360texas.com/tips/nodalpts.htm 

Another issue I have found since I created that page is one where you have found the correct Entrance Pupil (NP) location, but the camera lens is tilted up or down for some reason.  It is extremely important that the lens is exactly level on each image in the series.  Otherwise you will have unpredictable stitching errors.  See what the top of the pan head looks like under extreme lens tilt up/ down conditions.  Disregard the measurements because they may not apply to your camera/ lens.  But the concept is the same.

http://www.360texas.com/tips/rd/tilt/index.htm

Hope this helps

Dave

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-07-22

Photoshop tripod cap,  Glass gazing ball tutorial can be found here along with the URL to acquire the free action.

http://www.panotools.info/mediawiki/index.php?title=Adding_a_nadir_cap_(mirror_ball)

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2005-07-22
Quote: Originally posted by yowsiang on July-22-2005
Hi Smooth,
So what you meant the problem lies with the setup and not the software? Because what i do quiet understand is if all images are shot at the correct nodal point, then why the software is unable to stitch them?

ys

yowsiang,

What I'm saying is that the other people using the exact same set up are also asking or complaining on panorama forums about the very same issue's you speak of. These people are using lots of different software packages PTGui, 3DVista, Panoweaver etc etc.

Yet the people using the Sigma 8mm don't seem to be having this issue (or at least as often!). Why is it so? Understand that the entrance pupil (NP) changes slightly on every rotation because the tilt and levels change.

Even these "templates" that are recommended by some panohead manufactures do NOT allow perfect stitching everytime. As much as they would have you believe. If it was so then the very same customers would not be asking these questions on forums all over the Internet. Sure you can replicate similar results so long as the scene and objects remain similar (like distant objects etc) put the same configuration to a small room and there will be stitching errors everywhere.

Manual control points are the answer (irrelevant to the software used).

The same people asking why the "templates" fail are also producing some very nice results using this equipment. It is NOT easy and it is NOT a one stop solution to panorama making no matter how expensive.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-07-23

Hi Smooth,

Thanks for the advice. now i see why, so it is really advisable to key in control points if we want perfect stitch.

yowsiang

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2005-07-23
Quote: Originally posted by yowsiang on July-23-2005

Hi Smooth,

Thanks for the advice. now i see why, so it is really advisable to key in control points if we want perfect stitch.

yowsiang

Yes, this seems to be the best and only method for a good stitch. Also I have found that if images are a little dark Panoweaver 4.0 will not auto stitch without adding control points manually. This I proved with shoot the same scene at different shutter speeds. Good light correctly exposed images auto stitched without issue. The underexposed versions required manual control points. Even though the very same stitching parameters were set.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-07-24
isn't the nodal point in the Sigma 8mm is exactly at the golden ring? Just align it with the center line on the head.