panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-08-15

Tutorial

Does anyone know where to find a tutorial that will step a very frustrated individual through the process of shooting a panorama with two or three fisheye images. I am using a Canon Mark II Ds and a Sigma 8mm lens. I am truly at the end of my rope.
If you make it idiot proof, they will build a better idiot.
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-08-18

Doesn't the Mark II have a large enough CCD to capture a full hemi. I believe I read this in the specs. You should be able to do 2 shot. Set your exposure correctly and do a bracket set for each hemi. Blend with photomatrix or other similar software and stitch in panoweaver.

Of course 3 shot will make a better quality pano because you are using 3 hemis instead of two and that means more pixels to work with.

Gen. Lee

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-08-19
Well, just for grins I pulled out the Nikon Coolpix 5400 with the FC-E9 fisheye lens. I shot two hemis, took it to Panoweaver and stitched the images. Same garbage results.

Then I decided, what the heck, let me try the iPix demo. Perfect results, first time, every time. No hassle, no problems.

Unfortunately, iPix would be another $1000 (every year no less)!!

Onward.
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-08-19
do you want to sell the E9?
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-08-19
Hello All,

First, thanks for the input from all of you.

I've gone back and re-shot some images in an attempt to get the results that I want. Here are the specifics of
the equipment, lighting, steps, etc.

Equipment:
Canon Mark II Ds
Sigma 8mm lens
Bogen/Manfrotto 3051 Tripod
ReallyRightStuff PCL-1 Head, MPR-CL II bracket and B57L Camera body bracket.
Sekonic Dualmaster L-558 Light Meter

The scene was shot in the living room of my home. The light consisted of a mix of daylight, incandescent light
and some floresent light in the kitchen area.

I metered the light at numerous locations. The ISO setting was at 200. With the f-stop at 4.0 the light meter
gave me a reading of 1/8. So, I set the camera to perform automatic 3 bracket shots at +/- 1 stop for each shot.
The result was that the camera took images at 1/4, 1/8 and 1/15.

I planned to bring 3 hemispheres into Panoweaver, so there were a total of 9 shots, 3 at each of the 120 degree
positions on the tripod head.

This URL will take you to the images shot at 0 degrees: http://www.johnmarksimages.com/vrtours/0degrees.html

This URL will take you to the images shot at 0 degrees: http://www.johnmarksimages.com/vrtours/120degrees.html

This URL will take you to the images shot at 0 degrees: http://www.johnmarksimages.com/vrtours/240degrees.html

Gen. Lee mentioned using Photomatix to combine the shots, so I downloaded the trial version of Photomatix Pro and
used the software to combine the images. I chose the average combination to see what results I would get.

This URL will take you to the images after using Photomatix to do the combination:
http://www.johnmarksimages.net/vrtours/combined.html

I brought the three combined images into Panoweaver and stitched the images together.

The results can be found here:
Panoweaver Applet --> http://www.johnmarksimages.com/vrtours/livingRoom/livingRoom_applet/livingRoom.html
Quicktime --> http://www.johnmarksimages.com/vrtours/livingRoom/livingRoom_qtvr/livingRoom.html

The really big issue that I see is the zenith that is present in the panos. What can I do to improve my
photographic technique to eliminate the size of the zenith, or to eliminate it altogether? If possible, I would
like to correct the problem while shooting, absent that to try to correct the problem before resorting to using
Photoshop.

Comments, suggestions anyone???

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-08-19

Well that pretty good so far.

You will have to patch the top in photoshop. Convert to a cube and clone it out. Don't do any color correcting in the cube format or you may get white lines when you convert back to sphere. Do the color correcting and sharpening in spherical format.

Are you using a leveler? You may be able to make it smaller with better precision in taking the shots but you will still have to clone the top no matter what.

Gen. Lee

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-08-19

Hi.. Plano.. Actually just a personal opninion.. ..as your camera is 16 mp and i feel alot of wasted pixel (black space) on the full fisheye images.And the final stitch pano look abit soft.

ys

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-08-19

It is true a circular image does not use all of the CCD. But neither does any other set up. The CCD is rect/square not round.

But at 16mp you will get many more pixels in the circular image. Basically the image is "LARGER".

It comes down to output size of the pano. It is all relative. The MarkII makes a larger image than any other DSLR cameras. Unless you are displaying full screen it is difficlult to reduce the image size without loosing quality.

So using a 16mp image will not make a better pano than a 8mp image displayed at say 500x400. But if you display at 800x600 or larger then the higher MP image will be better.

Normally you output at 2000x1000 for display at 600pixels wide or less. For full screen you would be outputting at 4000x2000.

The reduction in size is done by the software. Pixels are removed and when that happens the image is reduced in quality but the amount of quality loss depends on the amount of sizeing down.

If you plan to display your panos at 500 pix wide or less then it is best to shoot the images at less mega pixels say 8 or 6. ( this means changing the quality setting to lower which equals a smaller sized image. They are all at 300 dpi no matter what. It is the SIZE that matters)

Obviously you can't improve quality by increasing the size of an image in software. Likewise you can not improve the quality by sizing down either. You either add pixels that were not there or remove pixels that are there. Either way you are changing the quality.

So if you start with an image that is the right dimensions then you will end up with a great looking pano. If you start with a very large image and then stitch at a small size you will end up with a lower qyality image.

I am trying to explain the relationship of pixels and size and how this effects your images. I am not sure if I am being clear enough.

Gen. Lee

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-08-15

Nope

Your camera is too far advanced than ours, I would not know where to start.

Dave

Fort Worth.. South West of Plano

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-08-16
As the sigma is only a 180 lens i would recommend you use at least 3 hemi's (120 intervals) otherwise you will have problems with stitching. If your rotator doesnt stop at 120, use the tripod legs as a guide. Make sure you've got your nodal point set up (daves the nodal master!). And, use auto exposure lock. That way each hemi will be equally exposed and colour balanced. Other than that i think its just personal preference and what works best for you.

Regards.
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-08-16

Well there is not much to it

Buy a good tripod with your camera if you dont allready have.

Buy a system for quick leveling (grip or kaidan quicktilt leveler will do) if you dont have

Buy  a panohead from Agnos, Kaidan, or the recomended Manfrotto

Make sure your lens nodal point is exactely on center of rotation in tripod

Level your camera both ways, make sure you turn exactely 120 degrees

Make sure you have same exposure on all 3 shots (I also would shoot 3 imges with full circle, 4 with drum images)

Take them to Panoweaver 3.1, or panoweaver 4.0.

Stich and see what you got.

Most importent start taking panos, since ....

Good panos come from experience, experience comes from bad panos.

Guess you took a look at this pages

http://www.easypano.com/product_32_155.html

There is a 138 page manual you find http://www.easypano.com/download/doc/pw400_manual.pdf here

If you have read throu this, you should be at least half way up the rope.

If you need help, ask specific question. Otherwise if you really are at then end of the rope, contact dave in Texas and fly over there and have him give you lessons (for pay of course). If you never been to Switzerland you can book courses with me as well :-) www.panoramas.ch/hochfelden is where you would be taking classes.

BTW. beeing at the end of the rope is not so bad, depending on what end you are on. Maybe you have nothing more to learn.

Bottom line is, that you need to specifiy more what your problem is.

Regards Markus

PS you can contact me MSN Messenger marktold@hotmail.com

Nikon D70s, Sigma 8 mm, 4 to 12 shots, Agnos MrotatorTShort, PTGui, PS CS3, and lots of other software :-)