panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-09-08

My updated website, please take a look

Hello all

I have just completed a revamp of my website and I was wondering if you would take a look and let me know what you think. Any obvious (or less than obvious) problems that you find would be usefull for me to know. I have tested it in Netscape, AOL, Firefox and Opera and it seems to function alright for me. I would like to know how it looks on a Mac though.

I'm thinking of removing the autoplay pano on the index.html page since it seems to make other tours a bit slow and jerky when launched from this page. Do you agree?

Any comments on the panos/tours included in this site gratefully received also.

I'm off to produce the French language version now!

Thanks in advance
Glenn

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-09-18

I have not had a chance to update this thread until now, but I had a couple of things I wanted to say. First, thanks for all your comments, all noted and a number have been acted upon. Smooth, thanks for your time on producing that list of problems. I hope a number of them have now been cleared up (I really hope so). The French version of the site is now live and I cross my fingers it looks okay to the majority of the world.

I have learned that one of the big problems I was having (am having actually) is the size of the font people choose their web browsers to display in. Presumably an accesibility thing. I never realised that you can open a page and then from the browser choose to enlarge or reduce displayed font sizes. This obviously throws ones layout all over the place (it does with mine anyway). How the hell do you handle this? I have checked on some "full-on proper" websites like www.bbc.co.uk that this font resizing from the browser has no effect, the font size remains fixed. Does anyone know if this is achievable with a site built in HTML?

Cheers, Glenn

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2005-09-18

Glenn,

You would need to use a CSS (style sheet) to set and lock your fonts.

Style sheets are called by the html and can be set to cover a page or a whole site.

In case you didn't know you can change the size of displayed fonts by holding down the Ctrl key and use your mouse scroll wheel. Alternatively you can access the "Size" button from your I.E menu. Standard size is half way (Medium). If you don't have this option on your I.E menu bar do the following. Right Click the menu bar>choose customise>add "size" from the left to right selection.

I see you have fixed some of the issues but many I mentioned still remain.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-09-18

Hi Smooth

Thanks for the info. Next time Style Sheets, no time now though.

Regards your earlier list of probs:

Home Page: Mixed fonts What we do = Verdana 10pt. News = Times Roman 10pt

I'll check it again but I'm sure they are both Verdana 10pt.

Google Ads at the top of the page.

Yep, you are probably right, I'll see about changing that sometime though to be honest for me it's not a biggie.

Agents Page

I think if you read it through from top to bottom without without any expectations (such as a visiting real estate agent might) you will see it makes sense. FYI, I have no intention of taking the panos myself for these prices!! It's a DIY solution. There is no way the majority of French real estate agents are going to part with decent money for decent panos/tours.

"See Camera List" hyperlink

Sorted now.

Rentals

Padding on the Charges and Options columns.

I have improved it to the best of my ability for now. Hope it looks a bit better.

Euro Sign

Well spotted, sorted now.

Gallery

Missaligned hyperlinks.

Well, it's deliberate though I appreciate it looks a bit odd. Idea was, 56k version on left, ADSL in the middle and QT on the right. Only one QT example at the moment though so yep, looks goofy.

Various panos not working

Fiddled about and they all work for me now I think.

Contact

I have hidden the email address now, thanks.

Nice one as always Smooth.

Glenn

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-09-19

Hi cutetoyou,

I  use Dreamweaver MX to do all my web site work. Style sheets are definitly the way you need to go. It is very easy. The steps are below.

1. create a new file names "style.css"

2. You can put the file anywhere but I put it in the root directory where your "index.html" is located.

3. I always make a "template" for a site to control navagation, header and footer. So open the template file now. If you are not using templates open a HTMl file.

4. On the right under "Design" select the "css styles" tab.

5. There are 4 little icons at the bottow of the window. The first one is "attach style sheet". Click this and navagate to the "style.css" file. Select this file and make sure "ad as link" is checked on the fist window that opened up. The path to your style sheet should be set in this window now. Click ok and the file is now linked to your Template or html file.

6. Once the style.css file is linked to the template you can now add some styles.

7. At the bottom of the "design" window click the second button. It has a little plus sign on the icon.

8. Name the new style. Example = ".bodytext" or ".table1"
Select "type -->>use css selector". Select "define in" style.css

9. click ok

10. A window pops up for you to set all the attributes of your new style.

11. The two of interest immediatly are "type" and "background"

12. select "type" and set your properties.

13. Click ok to close the window. Now you will see the new style in the window on the right.

14.  Now the easy part. To set a style for any element on your page such as a table with content simply select the element with your pointer. Look below the page and above the properties bar and you sill see a line of code. These are the elements of the page. The one you selected will be in  bold. Right click on it and select "set class". All the styles will be listed there and just pick one or the one you made. You page will be immediatly updated.

You can make as many styles as you want.

I have a simple default "style.css" file that I use for new sites. In the file are all the common styles I have set. I set styles for "body" text and define a few styles for different layout tables. I call them "table1", "table2" ....etc. Table1 for example has 10pt verdans,arial,... set.

Table2 has 12pt verdana set. I then make other styles for headers and footers of the tables. Say you want the first row of a table to have larger bold text in red and the content of the table 10pt white text. Your styles would look like this

.bodytext
.table1text
.table1header
.table1footer
.overallheader
.overallfooter
.navbar
.navbarbutton

I just copy the "style.css" file to my site file and I have a starting style sheet to work from. You will find that most page elements are all the same no matter what site you are building. You will only need to add special styles specific to your layout to the style sheet.

Now any time you design an element like a Rate table or a content area all you have to do is right cick the code element and select a class.

Further any time you want to change the size of the text in ALL the tables with a style of ".table1text" all  you have to do is edit the style sheet and all the tables will istantly be set to the new text attributes you set.

You can set all kinds of style options from table background colors, border colors, and even the placement of text inside of table cells exactly by pixels. If a tabel cell is 20 pixles tall and 40 pixels wide you can set the position of the text in this cell at say 10 pixels to the right and 10 pixels from the top. You can't do this with simple html styles like "left, right. center". It will make your design choices much greater and allow you to concentrate on layout containers instead of fiddling around with multiple table cells to get the correct layout you want.

Doens't this sound much easier than going to every page in your site and selecting text and manully changing the text sizes. Also your text sizes are set in points not relative size.

If you use a "html" style of  "3" or "4" this means it is relative to the default text size set in the users browser as discussed above in this thread. This method does not set the text in point size. It means that if I have a "+2" set in my browser that your "2" will equal "4" in my browser so the text will be twice as large and your layout will be messed up in "my browser".

General Lee.

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-09-19
Hi,

I also use style sheets extensively. I'm "lazy". :) I just recycle the style sheets to reduce devt time.

Thanks,
eagle
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2005-09-19

I have Dreamweaver MX but favour Microsoft Front Page. But that is neither here nor there both produce webpages. 

Glenn,

Mate your fonts are different and it would be the table/cell properties causing the conflict. I did notice you added the "bullets" to get your text away from the table edge. "Padding" the cell would have done it without the bullet. But your idea looks OK.  You are still missing the Horizontal Line on the FAQ page (Maybe it's the position as it is different to other pages). You have change your email link to read "email" but you have not secured it from "spam robots" to do this you must encrypt it with javascript. (I can do this for you if you like). Just let me know and I email your the code. Otherwise you will get spammed to death.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-09-22

Thanks muchley guys as always, thanks for the effort of replying. Slow response cos I'm actually doing a few weeks work in Paris at the moment (no, not virtual tours unfortunately) so I have limited time on the big www.

Gen. Lee, great stuff, saves me having to buy a manual !

Smooth, that encryption code would be smashing, if you don't mind.

Glenn

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2005-09-22

Glenn,

Replace

<a title="mailto:info@visites360.com">email</a>

with this in your source code

<a title="&#109&#97&#105&#108&#116&#111&#58&#105&

#110&#102&#111&#64&#118&#105&#115&#105&#116&

#101&#115&#51&#54&#48&#46&#99&#111&#109&#63&

#115&#117&#98&#106&#101&#99&#116&#61&#67&

#111&#110&#116&#97&#99&#116&#32&#102&#114&

#111&#109&#32&#116&#101&#32&#118&#105&#115&

#105&#116&#101&#115&#51&#54&#48&#46&#99&

#111&#109&#32&#119&#101&#98&#115&#105&#116&

#101">&#101&#109&#97&#105&#108</a>

Insert it as one continuous line with no spaces.

This will protect you from the spam robots.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-09-08

Hi Glenn

Just had a quick peep at your site out of interest as I'm currently working on my own. Couple of little errors I found. (from my visit that is, I'm running WIN XP SP2 IE6 sp2.)

1. The home page link does not work when returning from other pages on the site. You have it named and directing to http://www.visites360.com/index.html  May need to delete the L of the html. I know I had the same problem once. Your other pages are htm. Not sure why this happens as I'm no web expert. Other than that it may just be an image button hyperlink error.

2. The news column on the home page isn't showing the full width, missing a letter or two at the end of each line.

3. On the Rentals page the main image had text inviting you to click on image to explore this room. The image didn't load. Java script error I think!  Again, not a real web techy but Im sure someone will find the answer if you get stuck. 

Suggestion : On the pages were you have two columns I maybe would have used a separator image gif to split the columns and give them more definition. The two columns look a little squashed. Or maybe widen the columns a little. But hey!! thats only my opinion.

On the plus side I really like the 3d floor plans with the tours. Hope you don't mind me asking which floor plan software you use?

Also there are some very nice full screen images on show. Theres plenty of the AIDA on the site some of it I have used on mine. Hopefully it should get some results. I will have more time to have a look at the site again tomorrow. You can check my www once it's up and running and get your own back .

Regards

Nikon D70s, Sigma 8mm, Agnos MrotatorTShort, Photoshop CS, Panoweaver 3 & 4
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-09-08

Thanks mediaPix, very usefull information, if a little depressing!

Also embarassing that the links back to the home page didn't work!! I assure you they were earlier today, I don;t know what I must have done since to cock it up. Anyways, it was the .htm/.html extension as you guessed. How did that happen? Fixed now.

The News column issue is a bit of a poser since it's fine for me in the browsers I mentioned. I shall look into it, thanks.

The "Rentals" page pano that did not appear for you. It works fine for me, I hope it's not a popup blocking problem. Could you be kind enough and let me have a little bit more info about what what you see happening on your screen. Does a small window popup at all etc etc.

Finally, "Theres plenty of the AIDA on the site some of it I have used on mine. Hopefully it should get some results". Sorry but what do you mean, I don't understand "AIDA".

Thanks again very much for your time, I will certainly return the favor when you are ready.

Glenn