panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-09-20

Best way to compress images??

Hi everybody

I need your help.

One of my main concerns when producing panoramas is the size of the image. I don't want it to be to large but I don't want to loose to much of the quality either. I therefore want to make the images smaller then they are when I have stitched them. So far I have just used panoweaver to do this, but there must be a more effective way?? I have heard that the qulity improves if I make it smaller in e.g. 4 steps. Resize, close image, open image, resize and so on. Is this correct?? Or how do all of you do it??

Best regards

Morten Andersen

- a newbie trying to improve 

I have heard that

Best regards

Morten Andersen
- a newbie trying to improve
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-09-20

I would not know why resizeing, closing, opening, resizeing and so should result in better quality: Esspecially if you save a .jpg each time. you would save previous compression quality loss every time.

I use photoshop to resize my images after stiching. I keep my images tif or bmp untill final output.

Regards Markus

Nikon D70s, Sigma 8 mm, 4 to 12 shots, Agnos MrotatorTShort, PTGui, PS CS3, and lots of other software :-)
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-09-20
I hope you're not saving as JPG in each of those steps. JPG is a lossy compression and each time you save the image as JPG, close it and open/save it again the quality of the image will go down.

I save my stitched file as a PSD file and blend it manually in Photoshop. If I don't need to blend it manually, I will then save it as a TGA file. I'll resize in Photoshop and then "Save for Web." The ImageReady screen will come up and you can see a preview of what the image will look like and its file size prior to saving.