panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-01-22

Question About Usage

Is it true that IPIX owns the patents on interactive imaging and we pw3 users can not use these pano's for commerical use or they will sue you?    

I'm a little confused on this whole issue....

Is it a certain way you make it or the gear (camera, lens....etc) you use to do it or what?

Can someone clear the air for me please???

S=K=H
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-01-22

Here in France and Europe Ipix exists, but they have big problems with their patents and europe laws!!! Of Course, Europe is not Usa and Companies have more protection. Europe dislike monopol business and Ipix 'd like monopol business. Europe governement don't hesitate to speak about monopole for microsoft and his media player. Ipix is a banal company in comparaison to Microsoft and they don't accept Ipix patents, Customers and panorama designers who use panoweaver here in Europe are free.

No future for ipix here in Europe!!!!!! The only thing they can do is to reduce prices and they do!!! I see it ( example: one panorama for 50$)

Bad company!!!!!

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-01-22

I'm in the USA........ does this mean i can NOT use these images as pano's on a site?

This is really crazy!!!    How could ipix go after me when i only bought the software to do it.........  I didn't create the software.....

What's the deal in the USA?

S=K=H
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-01-22

Dear O_kNow

I don't know how it works in Usa! I just tell you good luck!

I think texas360 live in Usa too, try to send him message!

Matthias
France

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-01-22
I'm located in Canada, and I'm having the same trouble getting details about the risk of being sued by Ipix.  I understand that nobody wants to take a chance on handing out legal advice, but does anyone have any information about Ipix in North America.  Texas360, comments?
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-01-23

Keep in mind, this is not legal advice. The patent is a US based patent.  2 is probably not a good idea. The patent was based on stitching [not taking] a 2 hemispherical back to back shots.  2 hemispheres make 1 sphere.

3 shot most likely is ok... . Besides with a 3 shot.. every 120 degrees, you get more overlap, more pixels, higher quality... and overall a better final image result.  Of course to have a truely great PW3.01 final stitch, your lens nodal point must be precise, pan head exactly level for each of the 3 images.

Hope this helps

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-01-23

Thx for the heads up Tex!  I am looking to do a site similar to yours with my state.

Can you recommend a good tripod and panhead to achieve best 3 shot results with PW3?  rather buy one then try to make it.

thx again

S=K=H
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-01-23

We use a couple of Nikon 990's and a Kiwi990 pan head by Kaidan.  With a 3 click stop detent disk.  No secret here.

Hope that helps

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-02-03
Man this is really major and it too bad it is on the second page of this string!! I almost didn't follow this string to the second page. Everyone on this forum needs to read the info O_kNOW found out directly from the horses(i**x's) mouth. The next best thing can you get it in writing?
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-01-28
I'm using a Nikon CP 4500 with a FC-E8 lens.

What head & detent ring should I get to achieve the best 3 shot pano?

I didn't see a 3 click stop detent disk anywhere....

QuickPan III CS Is this the one I should get?

Any help will be very much appreciated....
S=K=H
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2003-01-28

G'day O_kNOw,

Yup, that's the Pano head and if you ask you can get a three click detent ring.

Else, as pointed out to me  when I asked you can use any detent ring that can be divided by three!

Hope this helps, Smooth