panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-10-15

The best panos I have ever seen...

I'm interested in QTVR panos for 3 or 4 years, I've seen a lot of things... But never seen such perfection. Perfect stitching, perfect lightnig, perfect photos, perfect website...

The site is : www.ecliptique.com

The panos are on this page : http://www.ecliptique.com/fullscreen2/menu.html

I did'nt see all the panos, but one of the most impressive is on this page :

http://www.ecliptique.com/belleile/hd.html, its the 3rd pano from the top "jazz festival"

I dont understand how he made this pano : a full 360, with hi-res, a lot of people around the cam and perfect stitching...

He can't have made the pano with a lot of photos, this would be "unstitchable". And if he made the pano with only 2 or 3 shots, you should see the stitching.

If somebody can explain... I think it remains me a lot of things to learn...

Phil, French Guiana
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-10-15

Yes, the Jazz Festival is quite good.  Even has a good music track too.

I would think it was taken with a high quality digital camera and fisheye lens.  Maybe using a Sigma 8 with 4 images around with a zenith and nadir shot (4+2).  Or Nikkor 10.5  6 around plus a top and bottom shot (6 +2).  Color is great.. good skin tones.  It was taken on a sunny day so the shutter speed would have been fast.  Fast shutter speed also captures fast actions.. like the drummer.

The QTVR file name is Son.mov and is 1.8mb.  While not a very large file.. it is large enough to keep alot of detail.. hence you can zoom in quite far with out the image getting pixilated.

Beyond guessing about how the panorama was processed, I suspect there might have been a small amount of post processing clean up work to do in Photo Shop.

The audio track might have been added using a third party software like pano2QTVR.  The long audio.. might also have contributed to the medium size file size.

Dave

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-10-15
Ive been in awe of laurents panos for some years, like texas dave above, there are just some pano photographers who are in a league above everyone else, they set the standard for us all to aspire to!
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2005-10-16

It is very nice although there is evidence of stitching errors. Check the paving near and around the lady with the yellow stockings (Plenty of Photoshop work here). Spinning the panorama very fast and looking up you can plainly see it was made with 4 shots with more evidence of stitching.

Still a very nice and impressive panorama.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-10-16

Here is a WWP full screenQTVR with an audio loop. Toot, toot

http://www.360texas.com/virtualtour/texas/wwp/fsdavesolar.htm

At this site you may see 535+ Vr photographers and 1,430+ panoramas.  Overall quality has been increasing with each event. I attribute the improvements to increase in software quality and photogrpahers technical experience. 

And this mind melding activity occurs here in this and a couple other VR forums.

http://www.worldwidepanorama.com

Dave

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-10-16

This is a classic case of using "layer masks"

To start with the photo was staged for the photographer. This means the jazz band is cooperating with the shot. This is a lot different then shooting a crowd scene where the subjects are not aware that you are shooting a panorama.

It appears the jazz band is stationary, meaning they are not walking. There hands are moving while playing the instruments and the crowd is "pretty much" stationary as they are watching the event happen.

As Dave states the shot was taken in very good sunlight allowing a fast shutter speed. This is the first requirement to get this shot.

The next trick is to take several exposures of each frame. Probably 2 or 3. The light in this scene allowes for proper exposure without bracketing. Although it could have been done with only one shot per frame. The only issue is the seam blending between frames. This is where we get the "ghosts" and cut of hands and feet kind of thing.

The reason for taking the extra exposures is to capture the movement in different frames.

The image is stitched. Most likely using panotools as panotools is the "defacto" standard for stitching panos of ANY kind. You can do things using panotools that are not possible even with panoweaver or any other "auto" stitcher for that matter.

Back to the "layer blending". This technique requires the use of layer masks. If you have taken 2 or 3 shots for each frame then you have captured the movement in a sequence. Using photoshop you can then take these frames and create a layer mask with the other extra frames. When things move between frames it is possible to take the 2/3 shots and use one of these as the base. Then "paint" on the base frame revealing some of the other frames below it. This will allow you to put someones foot back to where it should be if it was moved during the shot. Or their hand, head or what ever.

This link explains this concept. In this tutorial the process of using layer masks to replace the legs of a walking couple that were cut off at the seams due to the order that the individual frames were put in to blend all of them into a panorama.
http://www.ptgui.com/examples/postprocessing/

Using this technique one can eleminate "ghosts" that occur  when shooting moving subjects.

In this example the photographer used this technique to clone in "Fudge" so that he is appearing everywhere in the image. There is actually only one dog. But using layer masks and taking multiple exposure for each frame he was able to make this panorama
http://geoimages.berkeley.edu/wwp905/html/RichardCrowest.html

I have tried to do this using  Panoweaver but Panoweaver has some kind of problem outputting a layered photoshop file so it is not possoble to use layer masks when using panoweaver.

General Lee.

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-10-17

May main annoyance with laurants site is that while it's very pretty and does all kind of nice things... it does take some time to find stuff and the artistic hand makes usability questionable.

However it's a nice site and his pano work is good.

If I only had an hour to chop down a tree... I'd spend 45 mins sharpening the axe.