panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-12-07

Java pano not working - need help

Hi Friends,

Here is the situation.

This is a tour I recently did for a real estate clieint.

http://www.northwestflorida.com/virtual_tours/clients/holloway-meeker/holly_point/index.html

The tour works on my computer and my wife's. It works on the clients office and home.

The owner of the house sais he can not get it to work He also sais his friends and family in 3 seperate states can not get it to work wither........hummmmmmm

So the owner thinks he has a non working tour and the realtor is demanding I "fix" it.

The tour uses "ptviewer" and the images are all less than 650k.

I don't know anything about the computers that it won't work  on. They are new and probably run Win XP.

Two things come to mind. Either java is not installed or there is a security setting stopping applets from running.

Can anyone post a trouble shooting check list for diagnosing this problem

Thanks

General Lee

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-12-07

Update:

I just found out the owner has a 56k dial up "AOL account"......OMG can it get any worse....

Does anybody know about AOL issues with panos?

Thanks

General Lee

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-12-07

hey gen lee,

there's always been know about problems with aol and different applications.

many websites cannot be properly viewed on aol and so forth.

you can tell him to click start, then programs, and then internet explorer.

and paste the url in the ei browser and click go.

nice tour by the way.  you even got the out the window view on the master room!what camera set up are you using for that?

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-12-07
Nice tour. Nice property. Your very own beach. that's awesome.

Gen, did you photoshop out your shadow in the dock panoshot?

Thanks,
eagle

P.S., I normally put a little note that folks with dial up need to wait a bit for the panos to come up.
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-12-07

Thanks

Oh yea, I forgot about the "AOL browser". I was thinking he was using internet exporer but I bet your right and he is using the AOL browser.

The tour was shot with a D70s + Nikkor 10.5.  I shot 6 and no top or bottom.
Exposure bracketing at 2ev. Photomatrix using H&S details Auto. Stitched with Panoweaver 4.0

Placement of the sun is very important. I always time my shoot to happen when the sun has passed by the window view. You want the sun to be at an angle of at least 45 degrees to the window. If you shoot a window with the sun strait up and beaming into the window the glare off the water will ruin the shot. Even photomatrix can't fix it. The window will turn out  washed out but still with some details.

I actually shot two sets of this scene. One for interior and one for exterior. The first exposure which is the one on the tour came out good enough to use. Had this been a higher paying client I would have used layer masking in photoshop to paint in the windows from the second set. This is production real estate work and time is money which is why I don't shoot top and bottom for these kind of projects. It goes MUCH faster with blending and stitching only 6 vs 8

The exposures were shot at F8 on this shoot but I have determined that for the Nikkor 10.5 the absolute best aperture is F9.5.  This aperture yields the sharpest image. Many have commented that F8 is the "sweet spot" and it is for many lenses. But there is a significant difference in sharpness between F8 and F9.5. So I shoot at F9.5 unless it is very low light then I got to F8. I have taken down to 2 sec exposures and there seems to be no problem with noise. I alwasys use ISO 200

Check out the "dining room". You got to love that reflection on the table. It came just as clear and crisp as you can get. It looks like glass.

General Lee

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-12-07

Hi Eagle,

I was posting at the same time.

I use a wireless remote to fire the camera. I just stepped off the dock near the palm tree that is casting the shadow so my shadow was not in that exposure. I was able to fire the camera from about 6 feet away. LOL I just noticed my arm shadow in the shot. It is by the lounge chair. You can see my are sticking strait out. with the remote in my hand. I can't believe I missed that. But then I have been working a lot and sometime the panos all look the same.

When I can't get my shadow out of the shot like if I was on the dock over the water I do photoshop out that kind of stuff. In this tour there are several places I had to take out the camera and tripod from mirror reflections.

General Lee

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-12-07
I see it. :)

It blends well with the scene though. Only you would know that's your shadow and not the tree or something else.

Thanks again for sharing your techniques.

r,
eagle
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-12-08

Tried the Tour using IE6 (on broadband)- whilst your home page is coming up, all your other panos aren't - after the Java applet screen all i'm getting is your logo.

Alan

aj
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-12-08

Tried again, still no luck. Have u tried setting the tour up in TW rather than ptviewer? Also tried to load the tour using Safari on my Mac, same problem i'm afraid.

Alan

aj
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2005-12-08

The tour works perfectly for me with IE 6.0 and Microsoft JVM

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2005-12-08

Your field of view parameters might need slight adjusting to relieve the barrel ? distortion affect.

Your parameters are currently:

<param name=fovmin value="12">
            <param name=fovmax value="165">
            <param name=fov value="110">

Which essentially lets the visitor zoom in full 12 minimum and  zoom full out 165 maximum limit in field of view expressed as degrees of the viewer applet.

We put limits on the zoom in 70, initial 90 and out 100 factors.  Click on a yellow dot to bring up the full screen image.. then view source.

http://www.360texas.com/virtualtour/texas/bg/index3.htm

<PARAM name = fovmin value = 75>
 <PARAM name = fov value = 90>
 <PARAM name = fovmax value = 100>

Dave

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com