panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2003-03-11

Jack,

Mate, cheer up , I say who cares? Until such time as I_ix actually sues a person (not a software company) then just go using it.

If they have! Get them to tell us the outcome themselves, I have little interest in reading about something that happened somewhere, written by someone who thought he heard a person say that I_ix did this or I_ix did that.

Get the real person to give the real facts! I think you'll find they will be targeting the software company and not the little guy who builds a pano tour every once and awhile.

You can't believe everything you here!

Best they could hope to achieve is to stop you from using the software you are using that you paid for with your money.

Just a thought! Can you buy Panoweaver in a box in the USA?

Even they (I_ix) can't really tell us what they have copyrighted? With 100% conviction.

I really don't care, If they tell me to stop in a "legal way" I.E in writing. Until then, I will continue happily building pano's using Panoweaver.

(Their has to be opposition to I_ix)

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-03-12
Hey,

Well I wish that was the worst that I could imagine! My worst fears are that I build a major VT business in my home town, lots of clients hotel chains, and so forth, then the other shoe drops, and you no who comes knocking with a sease and disist order and a supeona to appear in court. Then they sue for patent infringement becouse I'm using software that uses a process thats patended and they sue me for their back licensing fees! Who the hell wants a piece of that headache.
You know I'm going to stop whining about this and contact Oxxal Fords people directly and see if I can't get some answers. If its good or bad news I'll report back to this forum.

Later All

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-03-12
Well I figured If I'm going to stick my neck out this far I might as well risk getting it chopped off! I visited Ford Oxaal's site www.Pictosphere.com & PatentLicensing.com
and dropped him a line. This is what I wrote.

To whom it may concern,

I run a small one man band video production company in upstate N.Y. I have been interested in bringing
video real-estate tours to the web for about three years now. Knowing that the band width will not support full frame 30 fps full screen video I started researching the subject and discovered the virtual tours process provided by iPix. They had then at the time just merged with Bamboo to form the company we know today. On september forth 2002 it appears that Mr. Oxaal has settled out of court with iPix. I assume he was able to establish that he had pre existing patents and or artwork to get iPix to agree to a settlement. Since I first became aware of iPix's technology I wanted to use the ability to create tours both commercially and for personal use as well as to create a showcase for my photographic capabilities and expressions. Well the cost to use iPix technology proved to be prohibitive. As a freelancer one could not compete against an iPix affiliated photographer in the real-estate market either. Nor could one use other third party software to accomplish the same task. Up until now iPix has managed to stifle most competition in this industry because they managed to control the patents to a process and I would assume once again the mathematics and the algorithms that make the straightening of warped fisheye images. Mr. Oxaal if you indeed invented this process I urge you to not price the use of it out of the hands of the everyday freelance community. I feel it is quite a gift to be able to share with the world ones visions, ones community. I have read in our user forum as well as your own announcement on this web site that you will be offering your own software, and that once purchased you will be indemnified from patent infringement upon iPix. Is this true? If so when will your software be available? How much will the licensing fee be? I have had my ability to conduct business here in the States restrained due to iPix's strong hold on this market for about three years now. Needless to say I'm am more than anxious to get resolve on this issue. So I bring to you these questions on March 11th 2003. I wish you all the prosperity that your invention will reap, I just hope you will keep the technology within the grasp of the creative workforce that is poised to use it.

All the best! Peace!
Jack LoPinto
Bix Video Inc.
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-03-18

Forum Update,

I did contact Mr.Oxaal and got a prompt reply. All will be revealed to us when his software releases and he thinks we'll be happy. He seems a bit guarded ( understandibly so) about when his software will release...didn't get a response to that question. I pressed him for further info but it was a limited response.  In all fairness he may not know exactly when himself! So it appears that it is still a wait and see game. I hope what John (who started this topic) said is true : Oxaal wants to promote creativity in the VR community, is not interested in per click fees, will be releasing his software soon so that purchasing said software would indemnify one from being sued! Well I guess we'll see....that...... I don't know !  I was hoping to herald a huge helping of hope and instead its back to wait and see. 

Jack  

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2003-03-19

Good to hear you got a reply!

Hope all is successful and we can get on with life with panoramas without the legal issues.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-03-19

Hi all,

I wrote to Ford on 3/13, asking him how his software is coming along and when he thinks it will be ready.  I thought you might like to read what he had to say so I attached his reply.   I like his baby analogy.  We don't have too long to wait!

Tom

-------------------------------------------

Subject: Re: Software/licensing questions

Tom,

Many many thanks for sharing all that with me.  I really appreciate it, and the more I learn about what I hope is my future customer base, the more I just sit back, shake my head, and marvel at what is to come.

I can't take the time to respond in as much detail as I would like, but I will say we are cranking away, and we are almost ready to get you going in your business.

I'm guessing within the next three weeks.  Software is like a baby, you have a due date, but it can be ready early or late.  We will err on early release, because we will rev the product frequently in the first six months anyway.

I don't want too much fanfare at this stage -- we are in this for the long haul, and we are determined to grow a world class product.

At this point, there is only one vendor licensed under our patents.  Our product will provide a real alternative.  We are getting pretty excited about this...

-ford

www.go360media.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-03-20
Well, I'm going to wait for Oxaal. I recently saw a post on Helmut Dersch's Panotools list mentioning that Panoweaver is just a repackaged version of Panotools. They discovered this as Panoweaver calls 'pano12.dll' which is Helmut's free library. If true, that is theft of Helmut's GPL work.
Alternate Text
Super Admin
Send Msg:
2003-03-20

Personally I respect Prof. Helmut Dersch for his contribution to the VR community, but I must say something that is true.

Panoweaver does not call panotools "pano12.dll" at all, as you can see from the files after it is installed in your computer. Panoweaver is developed independently. If you look Panoweaver inside, you will find that "circling and stitching" is used in Panoweaver, which is totally different to "selecting points and stitching" of Panotools.

Moreover, a new product Virtual Tour EXE is available, with which you can create a standalone *.exe virtual tours. The *.exe virtual tour can run in any Windows computer with java virtual machine (JRE or JVM). Are you able to create such virtual tour with panotools?

All in all, if you are an insider of panorama and virutal tours field, you can find it easily that Panoweaver does not come from Panotools. If you do not believe it, you may contact Prof. Helmut Dersch personally and you will get the answer.

Easypano
The Virual Tour Way
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-03-20
Hi All,

Smooth.....amen to that! What you said.

Secondly if I may add to the Easypano Adminstators posting and that is I'm wondering if forum members are possible getting confused PTScripter (the tour scripting/linking program) with Panoweaver (the pano stitching program). As I recall on the old web home page Prof. Dersch was thanked publically for his software designs and that PTScipter was a effort and a colaboration between Easypano and Helmut? Or that maybe the confusion lies in the fact that Panoweaver uses PTViewer as one viewer to publish to and in the end is the java viewer? I personally have used both programs (Panotools and Panoweaver) and Panotools uses a completely different method to mark the points with the placement of flag pairs at the matching points between the two FE's. Panoweaver's process is nothing like that process and infact up untill version 3.1 was mostly automatic with little or no user adjustments being made. Certainly no points were set. Interms of if certain .dll library are used I cannot comment on that as it is out of my technical expertise.

I do have one question for the forum moderator and that
is that I quote:
" Link the panorama images together to produce a standalone executable virtual tour easily. No Java Running Environment is necessary to view the virtual tour."
    That quote from the features section of Vitual Tour EXE.
then what you just said:
   "The *.exe virtual tour can run in any Windows computer with java virtual machine (JRE or JVM). "

So to run the program and to produce the tours you need (JRE or JVM).... but viewers/clients would not need JRE to be able to view the tours? Is that a correct understanding?

One other question: I think your definition of standalone tour for Virtual Tour EXE must be differant from PTScripters definition. It has come to my attention that one does not have the ability to link the tours with "hot spots" in VT.EXE
as you are in PTScripter. How are the tours linked? And how
long before the hot spot feature will be available?