panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-02-02

Tripod in the way

Hi,

so I need to remove the Tripod from the panorama.....do you guys keep the legs of your tripod a bit closer then normal so that it takes less space in the picture and it is easier to be removed from the panorama?

When I take the arial picture of the area where the tripod was standing do I use the same Fish Eye lens? Or i change to a normal lens?   I tried using the Fish eye lense but the lines of the tiles of the floor are obviously distorted while the panorama has all straight lines cause I transformed it in cubic so I cannot match the lines in a cut and paste work with photoshop.

Also how do you take the arial picture? Do you actually hold the camera facing the floor with your arms extended in that kind of unconfortable position? 

If you change the lens to take the arial, how would you go about the exposure? I guess the exposure lock will go off as you change the lense?

Thanks,

Alex. 

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-02-04

Hey, I am self developing I think I can answer my question myself.

here is how I think it goes:

I use Nikon D50, manfrotto 190 and agnos rotator short.

a) I take the 6 pictures ( 4 +T+B )

b) I take another 6 picture (4+T+B) but this time the B picture will be by hand without tripod trying to keep the camera as close as possible to the Tripod position when taking the B shot, this means that I would be holding the camera away from my body, with my arms extended trying not to move and keeping my feet out of the picture as much as possible.

c) I  load the first 6 pictures in Panoweaver then I prestich them then I stich them then click the convert botton so to convert the Panorama in cubic and then I save it on my desktop let's say that I call it "Panowithtripod"

d) I load the the second 6 pictures in panoweaver then I prestich them then I stich them and then again I convert them into cubic and I save the file as let's say "Panowithmanualshot"

e) I open both the files in Photoshop and finally I can try to do my cut and past and eventually all corrections that I need to make it look as good as possible. ( ...it will take me sometimes to learn the tools of Photoshop )

Alex. 

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2006-02-04

Alex,

What your saying is a tried and tested method.

Sometimes you take the down shot twice from either side so as to capture the whole area without feet.

Mostly though, we convert the panorama to cubic mode and clone and heal the tripod out of the image, Save and then convert back to spherical.

Regards, Smooth 

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-02-04

Hey Thanks smooth....that's a good point.

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-02-09
If you're just looking for a smaller footprint, what i do is extend the upper section of my tripod legs, and extend the center pole out as high as needed.  Doing this gives a smaller stance with less tripod and smaller stamp needed.
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-02-09
Interesting idea adavis2.

I take it the center post has to be absolutely stable and not wobble when you turn camera to prevent misalignment.

r,
eagle
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2006-02-09

A stable center post is definately a plus.  This method is not as sturdy, but for the most part i dont have any problem at all.  I find extending the centerpost up higher puts things out of level from when its down, but i just level from the extended position and all is well.