panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-03-12

Default Autostitching Params +More

Hi All,

We just returned from our Mexico photo shoot and have been busily stitching many 3 shots.  At first I noticed that the upper parts of the image were not properly being stitched.  It was then I discovered (what you already probably knew but had not mentioned yet) was the TOOL called Autostitching parameters... in particular the FOV range.

The Help mentions that if your fisheye is a 183 degree view.. you should preset the FOV to have a 3 degree range.  Well, I started changing the FOV range to make the on screen visual correction.

(first note that we precrop our images to remove the black and to make a uniform square with a white back ground in PhotoShop).  Original images are 2048x1536 FULL FINE crops to 1510 x 1510 with a radius of 755.  Original FULL Normal crops to 1424 x 1424 with a radius of 712.

We use a 183 FE so images with

1510 x1510/2 = Radius 755 I found that default FOV settings worked real well with a range of 190 - 194. 

1424 x 1424/2 = Radius of 712 we used FOV settings worked real well with a range of - 187 -190.

On the subject of Garbage Collection.  After spending long time MANUALLY fixing pano's I found that PW just stopped adjusting on the 3 view seam panels.  By doing a CTRL -G it apparantly clears the memory image adjustment cache... and  PW seems to start working again... making those minor adjustments to the Yaw, Pitch, and Roll.

We already have some of our Mexico clients work posted.  And have 8 or more ready to upload.  To view point your browser to:

http://360texas.com/virtualtour/mexico/playamoroma/index.htm

Dave

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-04-03

Dave,

you mentioned that you precrop your images (to remove the black) and add a white background... could you explain why you do this?  Thanks,

-Chris K.

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-04-03

Hmmmm, Short answer is:

Each Nikon 9xx series cameras and Fisheye lens... places the actual circle image in a different x,y location.  So no standard measurement can be used for stitching.  Precropping confirms that I had found the absolute center of the 3 images by first making each image an exact square.  This way if the square was 1424 x 1424, I would know for sure that the x, y and radius are 712.  Now I do not have to bother with trial and error location values.  The panoweaver software does a good job at attempting to locate the x,y and radius.. but does not determine these values right down to the actual pixel -> for our 2 cameras.

Why change the background to white? It is a quick step in Photoshop (hit the backspace key and BG goes white).  And because if PW does not do a good job stitching, I have 2 other stitching programs that I can try, that do require white back grounds.  Do you have to change the background to white?  Probably not.

Hope that helps

Dave

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-03-12

Dave,

Welcome back. Looked briefly at the horse pano and it looked very nice.

Thanks for sharing your secrets, it helps us all.

Scott