panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-03-24

Java2 SDK, S.E. 1.4.1 & XP issues

Hi Forum,

Well just a little go around with the Java 1.4.1 and Windows XP 2000. Right on the specs page http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/install-windows.html#troubleshooting
The requirements and I qoute" ME, XP, and 2000 (with Service Pack 2 or later), running on Intel hardware." or upon installation you will receive this error message and I quote"
Note -- Trying to install the Java 2 SDK on a non-supported version of Microsoft Windows or on a machine that doesn't have a sufficiently up-to-date Service Pack will cause the installer to generate this warning: "We recommend that you do not install this Java(TM) Platform for the following reasons: This Java(TM) Platform does not support the operating system or operating-system service pack on this machine."
     Well when installing PW3.1 and installing the Java 1.4.1 on my originol XP installation system configuration with no updates ( don't use my production computer online)
I never got the error message. It kept crashing my computer if I tried to open the java console or tried to register my new copy of panoweaver. Reading about the other members problems about their PW3 not running when invoked and the solution of uninstalling Java 1.4.1 and re-installing the older version 1.3 solved their and my issues
How is anybody sapposed to be able to have service pak 2 for XP. Didn't it just release on the 20th of this month of March 2003?

Jack
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2003-03-24

Jack,

The service pack 2 mentioned is for Windows 2000 only

It's just how you read it!

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-03-24
Smooth,

Ah! Thanks Smooth! You are right! I wonder if the service pak
2 for XP is going to fix the problem? Or as usual am I the only person experiencing this problem?
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-03-29

Not really a reply, but a follow-up question...
I've been using Pixaround for a few years and my Pixaround tours display fine on W95, W98, WME and W2000 machines. I've just upgraded to XP Pro and the Pixaround applet no longer functions correctly: the image displays but refuses to move. ( see for example one that works in XP,
www.sav.org/shco and one that doesn't, www.uakron.edu/modlang/tour ) ... interestingly all of my Easypano images display correctly and clearly the Java applet works fine with XP... ( see for example www.webalpa.net/spheres and www.webalpa.net/spheres/index2.html ) Some of these images are 2-shot, some 3... and a few even make use of Immervision.
I've written to Pixaround to get an explanation, but if anyone reading this has a clue as to what's going wrong, I'd really appreciate your input.
regards

Robert Jeantet
www.sav.org
www.alpage.net
www.spherivue.com
www.webalpa.net/spheres
etc...
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-03-29

I think its a browser thing thats on your XP upgrade.  The applet like ptviewer.jar or the ?pixaround?.jar you are using interacts with the browser java engine in order to project (read display) the panoram image.

We are using IE 6 with the JavaVirtual Machine  Engine from MS.  We are also using Netscape 7 with the Sun Java2 Engine.  For some reason some folks try to mix browsers and java engines and experience difficulties.... for example it is not a wise idea to use IE 6 with Sun Java2 engine.

By the way Im using IE 6 with JVM from MS... and the site you are referring to that does NOT work... certainly does work.

Dave

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-03-30

Dave, thanks for following up on this and doing the java diagnostics...

Now, given the fact that I am running XP on a couple of machines, and that both of these machines have trouble with the same site (uakron tour), I imagine that I have to somehow change the java engine on these computers. Question: how does one do such a thing? My Add/remove programs list show that my computers boh are running Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.1 as well as Java Web Start (which apparently is not getting used). What would the procedure be? Remove Java 2 Runtime Environment, and replace it with something else, and if so, what? I'm guessing that as more and more people eventually move to IE6 they're going to run into the same problem, and we shoudl have a procedure ready to inform them...

BTW what do you think of the images I've posted?

regards

Robert Jeantet
www.sav.org
www.alpage.net
www.spherivue.com
www.webalpa.net/spheres
etc...
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-03-30

On your XP machine.. go into the Control Panel, locate the two Sun Java icon's... and run the one called only JavaPlug-in.

Then deslect Internet Explorer  and Leave Netscape selected.

Reboot.. and then try it again with IE  and then with NS.  And see what happens.

Another item might be that you do not have JVM turned on in the IE Browser | TOOLS | Internet tools | Advanced menu.  Scroll down 2/3rds way and make sure the Java Virtual Machine items are selected.  You will have to reboot

If you find that the company/manufacturer during box hardware and software assembly did not preload MS Java Virtual Machine for your IE6.. you may download and install JVM from here:

http://www.dhimaging.com.au/

We have had this issue before and Joel was nice enough to put JVM on his DOWNLOAD page.

We can only try... on this issue.

Dave

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-03-30

Dave,
I did as you suggested, deselecting IE from SunJava in Control Panel, then installing the MS Virtual Java machine. Rebooted. Everything works perfectly now!
Thank you!

Now an entirely unrelated question. I see that you're a PhotoVista person also. I first got PhotoVista back in late '97 with an Agfa 1280 camera. I have tried to assemble spherical panoramas from multiple images (I made many shots inside English cathedrals a couple summers ago using the Kaidan 5-exposure disk, and now I can't assemble the images! I should have simply taken 2-exposure images...it's a damn shame, because some of those shots, even poorly assembled, are spectacular... but I certainly don't want to post any poorly assembled pictures...My old Photovista 1,1 has the 8mm lens specs fed into it, but the result is less than perfect. I've assembled a few that with extensive retouching in PS, which works with outdoor scenes.. but with interiors, it's another kettle of fish. Any suggestions? Should I send you reduced versions of the original pix to see if you can do anything with them?

thanks
Robert

Robert Jeantet
www.sav.org
www.alpage.net
www.spherivue.com
www.webalpa.net/spheres
etc...
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-04-16

Well, here goes again:

I note that now when I want to exit Panoweaver, the computer crashes and reboots. Support at Easypano blames the Java Virtual Machine and recommends I install the new Sun version, JRE 1.4.1_02 .

Interestingly, I also have a problem with Outlook Express since the problem cropped up with Panoweaver: if I hit the enter key twice, OE crashes though the computer does not. I've sent reports to MS but see no mention of such a problem in their FAQ or support pages. I'm puzzled.

Anyone else have a similar experience or any idea what to suggest?

Robert Jeantet
www.sav.org
www.alpage.net
www.spherivue.com
www.webalpa.net/spheres
etc...
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-04-16

Ok.. lets review: 

I use Netscape 7.0 and Sun Java2 version 1.4.0_01. (for testing only)

I use MS Internet Explorer with MS Virtual Machine for Java Ver 5.0 which is build 5.0.0.3810

So I have 2 java engines dedicated separately to 2 separate web browsers.

When you are in MSIE.. look up on the tool bar for View : Java console and see what version you are using.

When you are in NS.. look up and find the same tool and find its java console and see what version you are using.

If either java engine is missing.. then reinstall it.  And yes Easypano is correct with regards to the java version.  But then if you are using it with Netscape.. you already have it.

Regarding PhotoVista.  We use PV1.0 and get medium results that need patching in PhotoShop. We also use PV2.02 and that generates good non sphere type panorama images.

Hope that sort of helps

Dave

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-04-16

Thanks Dave,

But that still doesn't quite explain to me why Panoweaver crashes the computer...Should I just install the Sun Java engine and not use it, in the hope that Panoweaver is somehow satisfied? Or must I also install Netscape, which I really don't need?! What do you think?

Robert Jeantet
www.sav.org
www.alpage.net
www.spherivue.com
www.webalpa.net/spheres
etc...