panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-04-14

panohead in the picture

I have been trying to set up my Nikon 950 on my Kiwi-L panohead using the photograph on 360texas.com but I get part of my panohead in the picture.
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-05-06
Hi Dave

Yeah thats what I was talking about. Thanks for the illustrations Dave!! Well in the immortal words of Tim Allen...Well I know now where I'm going to get the first use out of that new grinder....oh....oh....oh...Biiiiiiiiiiveeeer

Jack
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2003-05-06

Ok, I now see what you mean.

Umm, big deal? Why does anyone even care?

I must be missing something here. He returned his Kaidan Panohead based on that?

Put a cap on it, or clone it out.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-05-06

For some folks the wings or spikes are not an issue. It can be handled in PhotoShop. 

I look at it as a design flaw... that could have been fixed if the head had been field tested by some of the folks here in this or other forums.  The large protruding corner should have been reduced to a sharp square 90 degree corner nearer the hub.

Or you could spend 15 minutes at machine shop and have the corner removed.  Over a years time that would save you many hours in photoshop doing touch up work.

OR you could do what I might have done.... I have my own metal saw !

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-05-10

More - 

This morning Markus provided some pictures of his modified Kaidian Head.  See what he did to it to get that offensive corner removed. 

He did a good job with his trusty Swiss Army Knife.

http://360texas.com/tips/rd/kitchen/index.htm

Dave

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-05-10
I had much more than that little bit in my picture.
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-05-10

To bixvid

Are you satisfied with your Kaidan 990CS the CS. Well after I have cut off the corner as stated by Dave (it was done with a saw and not a Swiss army knife :-)) it works better.

The biggest problem I had was with the detent ring that was much to loose. The ball pin that goes into the dent is only working on that side where the detent ring is fixed on the opposite side it does not go into the dent at all.

I talked to Kaidan about it and must say they were extremely helpful. The even sent me an other detent ring free of charge. It did not help. Maybe I am just used to Swiss quality stuff and did therefore expect too much.

I have to push the ring up by hand to get the camera holding in the right position

Shooting 0, 120, 240 degrees. Just wondering if you have the same problem with the detent ring.

Nikon D70s, Sigma 8 mm, 4 to 12 shots, Agnos MrotatorTShort, PTGui, PS CS3, and lots of other software :-)
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2003-05-11

Hi Markus,

Yes, I too have a problem with the detent ring. Seems to be a problem in manufacture!

Mine just touches, if I tighten it any further it becomes too hard to turn on one side. I can live with it, but causes problems on windy days.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-05-12

We now have a "Real" panorama image showing the affect of removing the "wing" or "spike".  It actually worked out better than I thought it would.  

With the spike gone... No more cloning out the wings.. they are not there now.  See for yourself:

http://360texas.com/tips/rd/kitchen/index.htm

Thanks for your help Markus

Dave

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2003-05-14

Couldn't miss it Dave!

Not with the amount of links you have made too it!

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-04-14

Hmmmm we only have pictures of 3  Kiwi's.  

The 1 Kiwi+ which does have  the bottom hub normally showing... and (did have) the very top part of the L bracket got into each picture.  We usually cloned that out.  Later we got tired of cloning in Photoshop --->>>> and took a saw and just CUT IT OFF ! 

About a year later.. we bought a couple Kiwi990's.

2 Kiwi 990's which only shows the top of the Quick leveler circle and part of the bottom hub (not the vertical L bracket) in each picture.

Hope that helps

Dave

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com