panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2003-04-26

Hi,

Ford Oxaal, replied and basically the "jist" of the reply is:

(Q) Can I legally use "Click Away" in Australia and not be sued by iP*X?

(A) Yes.  In addition, Minds-Eye-View, Inc. is authorized to represent, on a
confidential basis, that iP*X has recognized the validity of Ford Oxaal's
patents.  Minds-Eye-View, Inc. can also represent that the evidence adduced
in the litigation with iP*X confirmed that Ford Oxaal is indeed the
originator of the technology that is essential to immersive imaging software
and spherical photography.

(Q) Is it true iP*X plan to appeal the court decision over your patents?

(A) No, there is nothing to appeal since iP*X settled with me.

(Q) Do you have a policy in place, if this is/was to happen for purchasers of
your Click Away product?

(A) Since the case settled, there is no possibility of an adverse appeal, and
thus, no policy vis-a-vis such a result is necessary.

I'm happy with the answers I received, replied within 12 hours. Service and commitment is great

Let it be said, that I'm also very happy with the way Easypano works and it is a great program, I also hope that Easypano get on board with Minds-Eye-View and obtains a license agreement so we can all enjoy Easypano without fear of prosecution.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-04-27

As you probably know... Oxaal's software is exclusively a 2 shot stitcher that adds a MAC identifyer in the EXIF data area of the image. Photo Shop 7 can read EXIF.    I copied from PhotoShops Help (Search for EXIF) this small bit of information about what EXIF is all about.

File information--also called metadata--is increasingly important in all types of publishing. Adobe Photoshop supports the information standard developed by the Newspaper Association of America (NAA) and the International Press Telecommunications Council (IPTC) to identify transmitted text and images. This standard includes entries for captions, keywords, categories, credits, and origins.

In Windows, you can add file information to files saved in Photoshop, TIFF, JPEG, EPS, and PDF formats. In Mac OS, you can add file information to files in any format. The information you add is embedded in the file using XMP (eXtensible Metadata Platform). XMP provides Adobe applications and workflow partners with a common XML framework that standardizes the creation, processing, and interchange of document metadata across publishing workflows.

From what I can tell... the $499 is for software that adds this MAC license code to your copyrighted image file in its photo EXIF header area.

Instant replies you seem to be getting are recitations of what was available on 22 April 2003 and can be seen on this page:

http://www.pictosphere.com/kwx/faq.html

Dave

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2003-04-27

Hi Dave,

My questions to Ford Oxaal was mainly about "Australia" as his website makes a point of repeatable reference to the "United States"!

As for the answers coming from points made clear on his website, that's fair enough, he must be answering many enquiries.

Anyway I now have it in writing via email with the headers and that is what I need should it ever become a legal issue anytime in the future.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-04-28
Hi Guys,

We are traveling from Florida back to NY. It caught me by surprise Fords software release. After I sent my last post as I was driving (I tend to do my best thinking when I'm driving) and when I'm in the shower....but I won't go there that was more than anyone needed to know. But the words from the one post were haunting me about the possibilities of an appeal...
I then rememdered that Ford had settled out of court taking away any appeals recourse. There may have been a lot of inquirery into the issue but the settlement issue is a fact.... so next?

Jack
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-05-30
Why would anyone buy easypano for $599 and then have to pay another $500 to Oxaal? Why not just buy Oxaal's software? Once again I ask, why didn't Easypano warn us about this before we purchased thier software? I feel ripped off!!!
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2003-05-30

Why?

First of all easypano is $299.95 not $599.00 and that is for the Professional version. (only $99.95 for the standard)

easypano professional can stitch 3 Fish Eye shots. (Big improvement over 2 shot)

I too, would like the security over patents! (This is not offered by easypano) but could be if easypano were to become third party developer to "Eyes-Mind-View" and pay the licensing fee for their software and pass on the security to us (the users of this software)

At the moment you need to own Minds-Eye-View "Click Away" License to be covered legally!(you also must use Click Away to produce your picto/pano)

easypano software is great, works very well, and at the moment the best in its class. But doesn't offer the patent security we all would like.

Did easypano need too tell us this? No, it is up to the consumer to research/ask questions before buying anything.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-06-02
Top _photo,

To piggy back on smooth a little ....not literally come on....but Panoweaver has been in development for two or three years now. With there being litigation of some sort of another ( mostly iP*x bullying small businesses around) on this subject the entire time. It wasn't untill Ford's David VS Big Corporate America iP*x goliath out of court settlement that any clear course could be charted by any user or business.
The definition of the usage and copyright language was so confusing that as I said all along it would need to be sorted out in court. Thank god Ford had the cohoneys to take on iP*x to the task. Because it was an out of court settlement I don't think any definitions were cleared up only that Ford was the potential creator probably prooving prior usage or prior art work. So Top-Photo do not feel ripped off..... as Smooth points out Panoweaver is the best in the class at this time. "Click-Away" Minds-EYE-View Inc. is in its infantcy at this time I believe .04 just debuteing in March of this year and as the court decision came in January or so of this year. So if you have had the use of Panoweaver all this time and haven't had a run in with iP*x considerate a bonus!!
   Just one addition if you read the review of Panoweaver
on lets say Panoguide's web site you would have read a disclaimer that the use of this software in the US and certain other areas of the world could be considered patent infringement and that you may have left yourself open for litigation. Once again don't be mad be glad that there is now a legal solution and you have available to you a choice. I believe and this is my opinion that iP*x was trying to enforce
an unfair monopoly on this technology. And I believe it caused the restraint of a lot of businesses trade or abilities to conduct busines in certain markets. In the realestate market in the US if you were not getting an iP*x VT your just plain were not getting one. That is because iP*x had an agreement with Homestore.com and if you were a freelance photographer wanting to submit a tour package with Panotools lets say they would not let you place the tour with them . It had to be iP*x. If that isn't the definition of an illegal monoply I don't know what is.

Jack    
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-06-03

Hi Forum,

Has anyone had any success posting non-ip*x tours with Homestore.com. Nobody there seems to want to respond to requests.

Herbz.

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-06-03

They have a new thing called PicturePath that allows non *pix virtual tours to be posted. Of course they have cornered us on that also as it cost $5000 to become a member and then like $20 for each tour.

I would like to start a network that would allow all of us to be able to post to homestore.com. All we would need is one membership for the $5000. We would also need to create one logo that would work for all of us. A network logo.

Each of us would pay membership dues. If we began with 5 members, we would all pay $1000 and have the same access to posting to homestore. We could make the login screen user password protected so that others couldn't get in for free. We would each have the right to charge other virtual tour providers that may not be interested in joining the network a fee as we wish. We could even let new members in for $1500 after the fact, which would be split between the initial members. We all could easily even run our own little network inside the network. If you have 4 other virtual tour providers interested in posting to homestore, you could charge them a yearly membership fee of $100 and $30 a tour. They would just need to send all photos to you.

I would not mind sharing access and posting to homestore if we had a mutual logo that brought attention to the network rather than our virtual tour sales.

Any feedback would be great !

If any of the information above sounds good to anyone, please let me know as I will be glad to pay the initial $5000 and start selling memberships (lifetime) for $1000. If I pay the initial fee, I will have the right to sell as many memberships as I wish. Anyone getting in early would have a say so in the logo design and the number of initial memberships sold.

Kris

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-06-03

Crafty your mind is .... sorry but we don't do real estate.

Dave

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com