panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-10-21

Wow!

What a great topic! When I first started in the virtual tour world I had no clue on what to charge. I set my prices based on research and advice from Dave of 360 Texas which was a tremendous help and mentor. I live in Northern Alberta Canada - rich in Oilfiled business - up here no one knew about the technology until I showed them and were easily sold. In fact rasied my prices since to $120.00 per view (this includes loading menu and frankly I have excluded the tripod cap option - because I just photo shop the tripod out!). Now a new problem has come about... sh*tty knock off's (180 degree - no floor or ceiling) that require a plug in, that are selling tours for half of what I do!, I-pix and other fake companies who are advertising as "virtual tours" but they are not! Any experiences out there with companies like these, and how are you competing with them?

DJ McKim
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-10-21

Apologies Dave, I did not intend to cause offense by comparing world economies, my point was raised more in disagreement that realistically 4 pano's can be arranged, taken, stitched, and distributed in 1 hour by 1 person.

This I saw as unrealistic and anyone who disagrees should try and see if they can arrange shoots at 8 locations, take 4 pano's from each location, stitch 32 pano's and distribute them to 8 clients ....... all in one day!!!

This will then present to people a more realistic idea of what can be achieved in what time, which will then help them in creating more realistic pricing structures.

As for one-shot technology, I used to work with a one-shot system (be-here technologies) and used to prepare '360 video'.
One-Shot has advantages and there are locations where I believe that it is the only option (ie, significant movement around the camera) however they do not give such a realistic presentation, and this needs to be shown to the client if you believe they are wavering towards cheaper one-shot technology

Welcome to my world
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2003-10-21

Just to make my thoughts clear.

$60 USD is worth $86.6293 AUD as I type this. This is less than half of what I would/do charge for a consultation and (1) one finished panorama. So it would be clear I wouldn't getting much work in the USA doing Real Estate work.

But then again, I don't live there!

Just for the record, I charge $199.00 AUD for the consultation (including one finsihed panorama) + $69.00 AUD each for any extra pano's done at the same time. Call back to the same location is $99.00 AUD per pano. (No extra is charged for return shoots because I failed with my first photo attempts) CD's and Web code protection is extra again.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-10-21

Hmmmm I really love it when ideas are exchanged in such a spirited forum environment.

Lets not become fixated on $60 for 4.  That is not the issue.  Your individual local economic market place will determine the selling offer and buying price for your product.  The market place has a grand leveling affect on pricing between the buyer and seller of any product.  

Remember panorama imaging is ONLY a conveyance or delivery tool for a clients REAL product.  You just have to demonstrate to your client that the panorama technique is the most cost effective method of delivering their "widget or home sales" to the market public.  This delivery technique must some how translate to your clients bottom profit margin in terms of higher sales of the "widget".  Using the panorama delivery technique will get the 'widget' sold to more customers 'faster' and at a higher sales frequency than any other marketing tool... be it the competition: newspaper, flyers, television, radio, or flat images.

In Don's comment about the local i-px competition - the customer purchasing the product will be delayed in seeing the sellers product because of the inconvenient plug-in download and installation.  Plug-ins are always a detractor. 

Typically a customer online will only stay on a page for about 18 seconds... if the product is not displayed in that time frame.. they move away and go looking somewhere else.  You have to deliver your clients widget panorama in 18 seconds or provide entertainment to keep the viewer engaged on that page - like reading the information on the 'splash page' while your panorama downloads. By the way that really is the only reason for the splash page.

No conclusion at this point - great discussion though.  But then you probably already knew this.

Dave

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-09-25

"the one major problem with Virtual Tour services is it is unlike still images"

pardon my impertinence but from your opening words i would like to force feed them back to you.

virtual tours are completely unlike still images, they provide a far more realistic intimate, believable interpretation of a location. from this forum alone you can visit the world.

as far as 360vt being only used on the internet, i distribute most of my vt's at high res, on cd,
they could be viewed on pc, mac, laptops, palmtops, kiosks, the future will see them being used on mobile phones and other wireless screen media, touch-screens of estate agents, etc etc.

as far as paper advertising that is already changing, billboards are no longer paperboards but electronic screens, take a look at a football stadium billboards for example, infact HELLO TOKYO, find me a paper billboard there,

i am afraid you are talking about 'pulp fiction'

p.s. no offence, just my humble opinion

Welcome to my world
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-09-25

No offence at all, infact i would very much want to bring your views to my clients.

I love doing VTs but guess i am really weak at how to market it. Much to learn learn from you.

Ifs ok, do share with me on how do you market VTs as a business.

ys

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-09-25

i have found that most people if they have not seen vt's b4 have an instant 'WOW' reaction to the technology which generally helps to get a proposal of to a good start.
Also, if you are obtaining new business then it pays to carry out some pano's in that sector beforehand. If you are approaching a golfclub, then shots from the 18th will have more of an effect than the beach at marbella. it pays to even do some demo shots for the client if the contract warrents.
-this tends to work in the same way that you may like to try on a suit and look at yourself in the mirror before purchasing.ie, seeing you, your propery look good is very convincing,

i then tend to develop their enthusiasm using what i call the 'supersizing your fries' technique, whereby not only do they get pano's, vt's etc but that an email marketing campaign can be implemented, cd-brochures can be prepared, all at a smaller cost than the initial outlay, ....."so in effect.....why buy small fries"

the technology has a lot to offer many sectors of business, good luck

chad

Welcome to my world
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-09-25

Hmmm it all has to do with the local marketing economy. 

In downtown New York City with a rather high cost of living, selling panorama and associated content will bring a higher product price. Panoramas might go for $1,500 for 4 or $375 each.

In the Southern US where the cost of living is relatively low [compared to NYC] VR content well be comparably lower. Panoramas might go for $100 for 2 or $50 each.

Competition density in your area also has dictates price. Lots of VR folks in your area?  It will have a leveling affect on market pricing.

We work in North Central Texas and I just finished our 3rd quarter accounting yesterday.  Total Gross project receipts, minus taxes and expenses resulted a historical yield of $79.09/ price per panorama.

Sometimes I guage the local economy using two factors.  The cost of a gallon of milk and a gallon of gasoline [petrol].  Milk runs $2.19/gallon and current gasoline is $1.39/gallon.  Locate "your"  milk and gasoline pricing and do a cost-ratio evaluation and get a % difference.  Apply the % value to the $80/per pano to get a 'starting' point for your area. Of course there are alot of other factors that might need to be applied here.. but this is an interesting approach to pricing if your just getting started.  If you live in Switzerland you might have to apply a 100+% to the above per panorama price.

You must recover your expenses and pay your self a fair wage.  Profit is the amount left over after all the bills have been paid.

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2003-09-26

One of the problems I've noticed is that some companies offering VR are not from a photographic background and definately not from a sales background. Many are web design or IT company employees seeking a secong income. They have little photographic experience and rely on the novelty value of VR to sell for as little as ?0 GB each! Not because they feel that is the market price, but because they don't actually price the job effectively. ?0 is about $42 or  Euros.....

Neill W