panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-08-23

Canon 17-40mm and panoramas - how?

I just recieved a phone call from an other photographer who asked me if I could help him with an assignment. He want to take the shots for a panorama with his canon camera and a 17-40mm lense. He wants me to stitch them and publish them as panoramas.
He is only interested in the horisontal view, and do not care about looking up and down.
I tried to advice him that he should let a professional panorama photographer do it, but he want to do it him self. Normally I would say no, but he is interested in 50-100 panoramas, so it is a big assignment and a good opportunity to make a little money.

Now I have to advice him how to approach the job. He does not have a rotator - just a normal tripod. Is it possible for him to shoot the pictures I can turn in to a panorama? If so how many pictures should he take?? Will I be able to stitch with panoweaver? Or should they just be assembled in PS?

Please any advice will be highly appreciated.
Best regards
Morten

Best regards

Morten Andersen
- a newbie trying to improve
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-08-23

Hi Morton,  You did not mention which Canon camera - so I will assume he his not using the full sensor sized 5d.  I hope he is only wanting to take OUTSIDE panoramas.  Since he does not have a pan head probably means he will put the camera on a pan-tilt head on his tripod in Landscape orientation.

Means that the crop factor is probably 1.6  and his 17-40mm really is same as 27 - 64mm.

Outside imaging taken at 17mm (35mm = 27mm) you would need to have at least 30% image overlap.

Panoweaver will not stitch his images because it works only with Fisheye lens images.  You will need to use alternate stitching software.

You might consider using photoshop | automate | Photomerge.

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-08-24

Hi Dave

No that is one of the rediculous to. He want shoot small cottages. Once again I have adviced him that he should let a panorama photographer do it. But he insist. Hopefully I can get him to buy a panohead if he gets the job.

At the panoguide forum someone said that he would propably need to tage 10-12 images for one panorama.

I have given him a price where I estimate that Ill be using  1- 1 1/2 hours stitching every panorama. I hope that is enough.

Best regards

Morten

Best regards

Morten Andersen
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-08-25

Well,  one way is to just show him.  Using a real pan head, camera and 17-40mm lens set at 17mm,  set up in a small room space. Say 3m x 3m.  Then let him look through the view finder.  At 17mm the bottom of the image will be at least 8ft or 3 meters from the tripod center.  Meaning you need to be using a VERY wide angle lens taken with camera in PORTRAIT orientation.  With camera in landscape the vertical field of view will be VERY short.

/s/
Dave
Forum Moderator for
EasyPano - Panoweaver
Pano2VR

Visit 360texas.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-08-26
I used to make cylindrical panos with a similar setup - You will do best with a rotator with 12 stops - correct NPP is essential
Will Best
Virtual Impressions Inc.
Real Estate Virtual Tours and Floor Plans
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-08-28

Hi Thatone

Yes I also realize that it is a challeging job. I have also explined this to the photographer. Now I just hope that he understand it. And that he gets the job - and send the stitchin on to me :)

Best regards

Morten

Best regards

Morten Andersen
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2007-08-28

I have the 5D and 17-40 lens...do I still need a fisheye lens for pano's?

Thanks in advance.

Tracie