panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-04-17

Superfisheye... The solution for APS ?

http://www.superfisheye.com/

Seems to be a very interesting solution. Did anybody hear about ?

Phil

Phil, French Guiana
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2008-04-17

Yes, it has been about now for some time.

I haven't been convinced on quality or if it can truly do 2 shot stitching without fail on a repeatative basis under different conditions and positions. Pointless buying one to do 3 shot stitching because the 4 shot with the Sigma 8mm Fisheye is not much more time or effort in either shooting of stitching and the Sigma 8mm Fisheye will not "waste" the sensor pixels that the Superfisheye does.

At $799.00 it is way overpriced for the quality and final maximum size of results. It also has a "fixed" non adjustable aperture locked at f/5.6.

My testing has proved that Panoweaver can automatically stitch the images in most cases so long as the correct No Parallax Point is positioned/located on the panohead.

Upshot: Unless you have a desire for 2 shot panoramas with a maximum final size well under 5000x2500 pixels you are far better off with a Sigma 8mm Fisheye where you can have 8000x4000 images and the option to adjust aperture values from a better quality lens.

I asked Sunex for an evaluation lens but after initial interest they stopped correspondence. It would have been interesting to see what was really capable of doing in the field as the demo shots on the website don't provoke confidence. I also believe Easypano office have one, but we have never seen any results from it.

Regards, Smooth 

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-04-18

Thanks for the infos, Smooth...

Two other questions for you : did you try the Agnos MROTATOR CP, which can make a 360 pano with only 3 shots with APS + Sigma 8mm, and if you did, what is your opinion ?

http://www.agnos.com/prodotti.htm?v_lingua=ENG&v_iss_web=0000000008041814280761949565&v_categ_lista=P0000-P0005-P0503&v_cod_art_scheda=MROTATORCP

2nd question : I had a Sigma 8mm; first version (non DG), with an EOS 20D, and the photos I made with were not cropped at the top and bottom, as you can see on this photo.

As I told you in a precedent topic , I dont have it anymore. And I've tried another Sigma 8mm (DG) with another body (400D) : I have noticed that both extremities of the photo are cropped, so I don't have a full 360 in the length of the photo.

It is the reason why I hesitate to buy another 8mm...

How do you explain this ? Is this a problem for stitching ?

Thanks for your infos !!!

Phil, French Guiana
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2008-04-18
Quote: Originally posted by Phil-IV on April-18-2008

Thanks for the infos, Smooth...

Two other questions for you : did you try the Agnos MROTATOR CP, which can make a 360 pano with only 3 shots with APS + Sigma 8mm, and if you did, what is your opinion ?

MrotatorCP

Hi Phil,

The answer is yes. I have a MrotatorCS Panohead and here you may see a result of 3 images from Canon 10D with Sigma 8mm Fisheye. www.smooth360.com/garage

Unfortunately Panoweaver cannot stitch these image sets. You can also do 60 degree angle shooting using the Agnos RingT lens grip ring.

Regards, Smooth 

Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2008-04-18
Quote: Originally posted by Phil-IV on April-18-2008

2nd question : I had a Sigma 8mm; first version (non DG), with an EOS 20D, and the photos I made with were not cropped at the top and bottom, as you can see on this photo.

As I told you in a precedent topic , I dont have it anymore. And I've tried another Sigma 8mm (DG) with another body (400D) : I have noticed that both extremities of the photo are cropped, so I don't have a full 360 in the length of the photo. I can post photos if youwant

The later release EOS DigicII sensors when used with the newer f/3.5 version of the Sigma 8mm fisheye do crop the top and bottom of the fisheye as you describe. This is overcome typically by tilting the camera/lens combination up 4 degrees allowing enough coverage to close the zenith hole. It also should be noted that setting the crop circle correctly helps a great deal. By doing this you will notice that you have opened the lower nadir hole slightly. This though, is not an issue because you would have had to either cap, clone/heal or patch the tripod area anyway.

Regards, Smooth