panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-04-26
Not to long ago I would have said "flash" because I usually find HDR (or IDR if you prefer) to "cartoonish" for my taste. I have recently found a program that looks like it will do a go job with my primary camera, but I am still unhappy with results from another camera. Which ones? Thats the point. Just because it works for me or evan for one of my cameras, does not necessarily mean that it will work for you. Download as many different programs as you can and run the same set of images through each, then shoot a different set up and try it again. I am not sure I am giving up flash (I'm running 3 fisheyes with out a N or Z) but I might change. Or not. Not sure yet.
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-04-26
Vince, would you share with us what program you found?
Thanks
Nikon D300, D3s, Nikon 10.5 lens, RingT105N+Footplate+MrotatorTCPs, Giottos MT9261 Tripod, Manfrotto 410 Jr geared head.

If you know the "secret" then everyday is a good day!
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-04-26
I didn't really "find" anything. I have tried several that other people say work the best, and I hated the results. I don't want to say XYZ-Blend doesn't work, because the truth is they didn't work for me. I am tying Xfuse, and I am liking the results from my Coolpix 3400 with fisheye images. That being said, I don't like the (non-pano) images I have used it on from my Sigma SD9 and SD14 (jpg, not RAW, Sigma RAW is an odd little beast). I wasn't trying to be secretive, just stress the point that if what you are trying doesn't work for you, don't write it off like I have been, just try other programs or settings to find a combination that does work for you. I am not sure I will switch yet from flash to HDR, but I am more open to it at this point. The two sample tours linked on the menu to the right are shot with flash. www.VinceRobertsPhotography.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-04-28
O.K., this is a rough one, but might help you to decide. The first pano is "HDR" and the second is with a flash. Just tossed it on a TV skin to get it up.
Some thoughts.
1. This is a tough room to capture, the color is more accurate in the "flash" version.
2. I did some Photoshoping on both to bring out window detail.
3. The camera position was the same for both, but the lighting really changes the perceived shape of the room.
4. Yes, I know, I need to clean my lens!
5. Coolpix 5400, Nikon FC-E9. Kaidan Rotator, XFuse to blend, Panowever 5.0

HDR Vs. Flash
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2008-04-29

Just a note for people ready this thread.

• Xfuse = Mac
  • Enfuse = PC

Hopefully will relieve confusion.

Regards, Smooth

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-04-29

HDR seems to have a major problem in relation to Panoweaver.

Each individual tonemapped photograph might have a different look. Photomatix requires some skill to create a natural looking picture and every image requires different Photomatix settings. With my 10.5 Nikon fisheye that could mean 8 tonemapped images that were each processed differently in Photomatix. To then blend the 8 tonemapped images with Panoweaver surely has to be problematic?

Flash seems an easier method provided one can evenly light a 180 degree of lens coverage using a powerful handheld flash? Is that the best way to go?

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-04-29
Peanut, I convert my Raw images to jpg and then "Batch" stitch all the images in Panoweaver. Then I take the stitched images into Photomatix for tonemapping. This seems to work best for me and much faster than tonemapping each one and then stiching. The only problem is you have to convert to jpg first (or shoot in jpg) in order to batch stitch. Hope this helps.
Nikon D300, D3s, Nikon 10.5 lens, RingT105N+Footplate+MrotatorTCPs, Giottos MT9261 Tripod, Manfrotto 410 Jr geared head.

If you know the "secret" then everyday is a good day!