panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-06-19

Problem with HDR

I seem to have hit a problem when creating an HDR image in Panoweaver.

When photographing high contrast room interiors one set of exposures is made for the highlights (-2EV, -3EV or even -4EV). This means the shadow areas get quite dark. This is not a problem when creating a single HDR image from differently exposed images into a single picture. However in combining the dark images (say -4EV) I am having trouble getting Panoweaver to stitch the pictures because it cannot find enough matching points - because the images are so dark. Is there an answer?

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-06-19
Hey Peanut,

Are you stitching before you blend/merge the images together? Try blending/merging the images to get your final results then stitch.

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-06-19
There is a special bracketed setting when loading the images into Panoweaver 5.0.  I know it works with .jpgs and under the file open menue below image type you will see a check box for bracket and how many exposure sets. This allows you to setup the the stitch and then it automaticaly does the exect same regadles of the picture for the rest in that set.  This is critial because if you multiple stitched panos that your are try to compine into a HDR do not match perfectly you will get bad results.  The other solution is to combine your in shots first and tone map them then stitch them together. 
RTFM
www.FCEDesign.com
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-06-19

Using Adobe Bridge I flip eight images (6+T+B) all at once 90 degrees and make a small batch exposure adjustment if needed - usually isn't (EV-2). Sometimes the shadows could be opened ever so slightly more. Then save them. Do the same with the next (EV0) eight exposures (never any exposure adjustment) then flip. Then do the same with the last set of RAW images, flipping and maybe making just a slight reduction in exposure to put more detail in the dighlights, then import one set at a time into Panoweaver. Stitch the images and save as TIFF. Do the same with the other two sets. Combine in Photomatix, tonemap then import in Photoshop for color adjustment and sharpening etc.   

jamesot seems to have the right idea. I'm so new to Panoweaver but that sounds like it would solve the problem.

I didn't want to Photomatix the individual images because that is more time consuming doing it eight times.

I very much appreciate the advice. Thanks.

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-06-19
Peanut, if you are shooting in RAW I don't think you can batch stitch in PW5. What you can do in PW5 is pre-stitch one set that has good matching points and then go to Panoroma>Save stitching Parameters. Save the setting and name it. Then for the rest you can go to Panorama>Stitch with Former Parameters.
Hope this is what you are looking for.
Nikon D300, D3s, Nikon 10.5 lens, RingT105N+Footplate+MrotatorTCPs, Giottos MT9261 Tripod, Manfrotto 410 Jr geared head.

If you know the "secret" then everyday is a good day!
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-06-19
realtor jerry you are a genius.  Thanks for that tip that's exactly what I wanted. I usually work with the overexposed image first which is always the easiest to stitch. I can then save those parameters for the other darker images.  That will also speed up the whole process.
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2008-06-20
Isn't it great when a plan comes together!
Nikon D300, D3s, Nikon 10.5 lens, RingT105N+Footplate+MrotatorTCPs, Giottos MT9261 Tripod, Manfrotto 410 Jr geared head.

If you know the "secret" then everyday is a good day!