panorama software,virtual tour software
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2012-03-29

You must always optimize before reading the nadir footprint.

You are also best to use Smartblend as the blender when setting up your NPP. This will give you are cleaner view of the nadir footprint saw tooth edges.

Your nadir footprint images are too small to make out much. The inverted pano view serves no purpose.

Regards, Smooth [8D]

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2012-04-01
Hi Smooth, thanks for the reply. I hadn't realized how much the pictures were resized before upload ... anyway here's a new attempt.
The overall stitching result is good, also the footprint circle looks good IMHO however as you can see I get heavy parallax errors on the nadir footprint (see scale) ... not sure if that's negligible as I'd patch that area anyway with a handheld nadir shot.

EDIT: this is now a Samyang 14mm on 5D - maybe the strong parallax happens due to the fact that with 6 pictures at 60 I am close to the limit with this lens?

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2012-04-01
So it's me again ... this time with the 400D/8mm combo.
Interesting thing: smartblend always managed to get the arm of the panosaurus into the nadir even though the panorama editor of ptgui didn't show it .. ended up using ptgui blender.

I find it very difficult to judge the nadir as it is not perfect at all but still pretty round ...

Thanks for any feedback!
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2012-04-01

You can see looking at the nadir footprint that your lower rail needs adjusting to the left (when standing behind the camera).

It also appears you need move slightly backwards on the upper rail, as it looks to be compressing the circle slightly.

It is important to never allow control points to be placed on the panohead of tripod legs and just as important that control points never end up on anything that moves I.E: Shadows, People, Clouds, Trees, Branches, Cars, Buses, Boats etc.

After making these adjustments and following the guidelines, please tell me what your min/max/average control points read after optimizing.

I'm also not clear on the quality of the Panosaurus and it's limitations via flex and rotation flaws etc.

Regards, Smooth [8D]

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2012-04-01
hi smooth,

thanks a lot. I followed your recommendations and got the following nadir (again ptgui blending as smartblend showed parts of the panosaurus.
No control points are on the tripod nor moving things. The optimizer results were actually very good this time: min/max/average 0.6589/0.1133/1.8105 compared to previously 0.75/0.10/3.16 (which I guess is also acceptable). From this new nadir I would conclude that I moved a little too far left?

BTW may I ask for your opinion on the nadir of the 14mm/5D (see three posts up, after your initial response). The optimization results were 1.003/0.062/4.572

And yes you may be right, the panosaurus doesn't seem the sturdiest pano head....

Thanks a lot.
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2012-04-01
Quote: Originally posted by dreamingof8a on April-01-2012
From this new nadir I would conclude that I moved a little too far left?

You conclude correct! [;)]

The Samyang 14mm Nadir looks OK. Only you know the results from the optimizer and how well the images stitched.

Just remember the NPP of a Fisheye floats depending on how the light passes through. I say if you are getting optimizer results under <3px after clicking "Remove Worst Control Points" then you have nailed it. You know you have it pretty much correct when images fall together without error.

If your really anal about finding the upper rail position, then you should also use "The Grid" method to confirm your settings. But don't expect to see much better than <3px as an average over sustained panoramic scenes.

Regards, Smooth [8D]

Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2012-04-01
Thanks smooth, your help is greatly appreciated. I will play around a bit durng my coming vacation and let you know the final results in a week or two.

Cheers mate!
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2012-08-11
Hi All, hi Smooth!
Im reading all your recomendations, very useful, but i have little problem. I make a fine adjust of lower and upper arm, but i thing im making something bad...
The first image, i have a good nadir but with some errors on the wood

The second, i have bad nadir, but only little errors on the wood (no straigh lines...)

What can i do?

thanks!!
NN3, Eos7D, Sigma10.20
Alternate Text
Forum Moderator
Send Msg:
2012-08-19
Hello sanfe,

I would need more information from you. What stitching program? Version build? Flash Player version etc.

Regards, Smooth
Alternate Text
Send Msg:
2012-08-26
The easiest way to get the best results as far as tiled floor goes is to use PTGUI and panoweaver. Take a photo of the floor and manually add control points this way you end up with perfect tiles and NO TRIPOD.

Hope That Helps
http://www.thebrazilbusinessdirectory.com